IGNORED

Simple way to fix rusty mufflers

igya

My '85 muffler tips rusted out and since the rest was solid, I scored a major hit! Not knowing what I would find, I sawed off the rusted out tips up to a 3/8" from the seam at the widest point of the bell. To my surprise, I found a very thick, recessed end baffle (that has a nice look) with the exhaust tube comming through all the way to the end of the original tip.

I cut the tube off even with the new opening and recessed it about 1/2" back into the mouth and painted the whole interior of the opening with a high temp black paint. You wouldn't believe how sharp it looks! Clean and racey. So, before you trash your mufflers, chop'em! What could you lose? :happy34:

See what you did now Charlie....got them into a feeding frenzy :yikes:

OKAY, OKAY I GET IT!! Man, there must me a lot of rusty mufflers out there. I'll get some pics today. What was I thinking anyway...........:doh:

OKAY, OKAY I GET IT!! Man, there must me a lot of rusty mufflers out there. I'll get some pics today. What was I thinking anyway...........:doh:

Well, here goes nothing. Not OEM, but not wasted either.

By the way, if you want more rumble, just bore holes around the tube. But, start out small because you can always make them bigger. You can also lower the volumn by plugging some of the holes with sheet metal screws. So there, you ol' rusty pipes out there!

Hey those look good! good thinking on that..

Just thought that I would mention that if you need anything off a brown 85 VR it looks like mine will be parted out now that the tranmission outpat shaft has messed up. when I get home next week I will probably start parting it and listing it. If you need something let me knowperhaps we can work something out before it all goes to ebay. (mine has jardines pipes on it)

Brian

Just thought that I would mention that if you need anything off a brown 85 VR it looks like mine will be parted out now that the tranmission outpat shaft has messed up. when I get home next week I will probably start parting it and listing it. If you need something let me knowperhaps we can work something out before it all goes to ebay. (mine has jardines pipes on it)

Brian

Post it here, in the classifieds, you'll probably save the rest of us the job of looking elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
By the way, if you want more rumble, just bore holes around the tube. But, start out small because you can always make them bigger. You can also lower the volumn by plugging some of the holes with sheet metal screws. So there, you ol' rusty pipes out there!

Oh Sweet Mama!!! I punched four 5/16" holes in each muffler around the center outlet tube and it makes such a sweet sound that I can't get enough of it! :banana:

• 3 months later...

If your talking about the shaft that the u joint bolts to, that is an easy fix.........mine went bad and we changed it out in a matter of hours............not hard to do at all, just pull the wheel, rear end and drive shaft and you can get right to it.............

Brian

If your talking about the shaft that the u joint bolts to, that is an easy fix.........mine went bad and we changed it out in a matter of hours............not hard to do at all, just pull the wheel, rear end and drive shaft and you can get right to it.............

DrangonRider he cut the rusty tips off the mufflers what would be best to use so it would not mess up the chrome on the pipes

DrangonRider he cut the rusty tips off the mufflers what would be best to use so it would not mess up the chrome on the pipes

Sorry about the delay responding. Been in south Louisiana piggin' out on Cajun cookin'! Use duct tape to protect the chrome and a sawzall (reciprocating saw) to make the cut right past the seam (on the exit side of seam) as it drops to a cone. Smooth out edges with an orbital sander. Paint the insides with high temp black paint. Be careful and don't cut into the inner pipe until you decide how far you want it to extend out of the baffle plate.