Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

I ordered a SpeedoHealer, model SHv4, for my 07 RSV and got it installed today.

Using a GPS, I did about 75 miles getting it calibrated just right. There is a disparity between the speedometer error and the odometer error, as others have reported.

So, the choice then becomes, do you want accuracy of the speedometer, or the odometer, or, in my case, split the difference? I chose to bias the correction value to favor the odometer, with the speedometer error now being about 1-2 mph high, as opposed to before the correction, when it read about 7-8 mph high. My odometer reading is now off (low) by only a couple of tenths in 20 miles traveled, about a one percent error. This will probably equalize as the new tire wears in.

Long story short: I ended up setting the correction factor on the SpeedoHealer to -05.5, which splits the difference nicely.

At in-town speeds of around 30-50 mph, the odometer and speedometer error is almost not noticeable. At hiway speeds of 65-75 the full error is as previously stated, about 1-2 mph off. I can live with that!

I started with a correction factor of -06.7, which had the speedo reading dead accurate with the GPS, as per the website calculator. There is a second setting that can be used in the SpeedoHealer, but I dont think I'll be needing that.

The pushbutton for reading highest speed is kinda cool, it sweeps the speedometer needle across the face of the dial, and pauses for about 5 seconds at your highest speed.

The unit is completely plug and play, and impressively small, about the size of a zippo lighter...very easy to hide under the seat.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian,

Something I have been curious about.

With the speedometer corrected, does the cruise control still top out at 85 MPH (corrected to about 74 mph actual). In other words, it previously would not let you set the cruise above 85 indicated. Will it now allow you to set it to 85 corrected?

Inquiring minds want to know. Might be a reason to get a Speedohealer.

RR

Guest tx2sturgis
Brian,

Something I have been curious about.

With the speedometer corrected, does the cruise control still top out at 85 MPH (corrected to about 74 mph actual). In other words, it previously would not let you set the cruise above 85 indicated. Will it now allow you to set it to 85 corrected?

Inquiring minds want to know. Might be a reason to get a Speedohealer.

RR

I dont know, I have no use for a cruise control above 80 anyway. I will try to find somewhere to find out what it does, but since I never tried that before installing the SH, I dont know if it will be of much use. My guess, would be that the limit is keyed off the reading and since the bike is now actually going FASTER when the speedometer reads 80, it may do what you want.

Here in Texas, I would have to travel a long way to get to the areas where the speed limit is 80. We only have a few sections where that speed is legal. I have a CDL , and just dont normally risk a ticket going that fast, especially using a cruise control. Not saying I dont go that fast now and then, but I always use the manual throttle when I do, so if I see something that I might want to slow down for, I can do it very quickly.

I will report back when I have an answer for ya!!

I put a speedohealer on my 05 RSTD last year and have set cruise several times at 85 just to make sure I can (Can't come up with a better reason than that) :whistling: They do help tremendously, especially in radar traps when you need to acknowledge that Yep, I was speeding and nope theres isn't a fire.:big-grin-emoticon:

• 7 months later...

On my 06 RSTD, I ordered one today after checking my speed. Using state police issued stalker radar, At 65 mph my speedometer read 70 mph. What I've read it seems complicated to dial it in. The numbers you guys are using, do u just plug those end?

On my 06 RSTD, I ordered one today after checking my speed. Using state police issued stalker radar, At 65 mph my speedometer read 70 mph. What I've read it seems complicated to dial it in. The numbers you guys are using, do u just plug those end?

I think that most of us have gone with 7.5%. That seems to put it very close. This in on the RSV but I suspect the RSTD is the same.

On the 06 RSTD, what do I look for and where as far as to plug it in?

On the RSV, the connector is under the left side cover. Very easy to install.

If most bikes speedo's are off, why in the #%%^^ don't the manf. fix the problem?

I haven't heard of a bike yet that the speedo is correct.

Just ranting,

craigr

I've wondered that as well. Seems like they should be able to get this right.

Now that I have a GPS, I don't even look at the bike speedometer anymore.

Guest tx2sturgis
If most bikes speedo's are off, why in the #%%^^ don't the manf. fix the problem?

It's not a 'problem' they need to 'fix'...its a solution. The solution to all the varying legalities concerning speedometer error in all the various countries that the bikes are shipped to.

Manufacturers must produce a vehicle that can meet all the technical and legal standards in all the countries, and most countries laws regarding speedometer error states something to the effect of, it must either be correct, or, if there is any error, the vehicle must be traveling SLOWER then the speedometer indicates. This is even if the user changes to different size tires, and taking into account manufacturing tolerances.

Now obviously some manufacturers do this by calibrating them correctly, such as Harley Davidson, but some manufactures calibrate them more loosely, or not at all, such as most sportbike makers, and even Mercedes Benz got in some trouble over this, issuing some recalls.

I beleive that with the small numbers of Royal Stars that it probably isnt practical to produce dozens or more types of calibration curves for various countries, and Yamaha really has no incentive to do that anyway, since it only costs money, and produces no real benefit for them or the rider. Sure, we would like it to be accurate, but the fact is, being inaccurate saves you and me some tickets, and keeps Yamaha out of 'recall' territory.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
What proof is there that a GPS is 100% correct?:detective:

100%? None. And consumer level GPS units will have some error. But not much. Normally less than 1%.

I just started working in the service department of a Honda Auto Dealership (looking for work for 2 years) and there is a class action suit in Canada against Honda regarding the odometer being out around 4%. I guess its an issue for lease vehicles if people are on the edge when they return a vehicle and have to pay for extra Km's. Honda have agreed to give allowance if the car odometer is out by that amount and the customer has a lease/warranty issue.

Keith

To each, his own. But from what I read here, a speedohealer doesn't solve the problem so why waste the money?

If I know that when I'm showing 70 on the speedometer, that I'm really doing 65, then HELLO, I am going to pull that information out of my brain and leave my money in my wallet.

Am I missing something, or is that just not high tech enough?

Somebody clue me in, please.

Jeff

Guest tx2sturgis
To each, his own. But from what I read here, a speedohealer doesn't solve the problem so why waste the money?

If I know that when I'm showing 70 on the speedometer, that I'm really doing 65, then HELLO, I am going to pull that information out of my brain and leave my money in my wallet.

Am I missing something, or is that just not high tech enough?

Somebody clue me in, please.

Jeff

You know thats a great question. And I was of the same mindset when I first got my Venture. Knowing its off by around 5-10%, and knowing that the speedo resolution is so poor on the Venture anyway, I thought, why bother?

Well, as it turns out, I didnt like having all that odometer error. I can live with some error in the speedometer, but since I take a lot of out of town trips...and I mean a LOT...I wanted to know how far I'm ACTUALLY traveling per gallon, and per tank. I spend alot of my time riding with groups of Harley riders, and since they all were showing a certain number of miles per gallon, and per station to station distance, I was wanting to have a more accurate reading of the miles *I* was traveling. Not to mention that the error in accumulated mileage on the odometer will show many more miles than the bike has actually traveled, over the life of your ownership. Not a big deal, but its there.

Of course, once you buy the Speedohealer, you are now looking at getting the speed correct, based on a GPS reading, since that is the easiest way to set it...it takes a bit more time and effort to get the odometer correct, since the 2 calibration points are not equal.

Hey its all part of the goal we set...if your goal is to ride and be happy, then more power to ya...I thought it might make me happier to 'fix' the error...so I did.

Hey Brian,

Always good to hear feedback on extras. Been thinking the Speedohealer my self.

You mention two adjustments. Does that mean that you can individually adjust

both the speed and the mileage?

BTW was thru there about 3 weeks ago tried to call you but you must have been

out of town. Thinking about Sturgis this year. Will let you know.

Brian, I can certainly understand your reasons and I don't blame you for trying to achieve your goals. That's what life is about.

I had not given the odometer any thought. That's why I asked the question. It's always good to get another point of view. Thanks for the insight.

Ride safe.

Jeff

Guest tx2sturgis
Hey Brian,

Always good to hear feedback on extras. Been thinking the Speedohealer my self.

You mention two adjustments. Does that mean that you can individually adjust

both the speed and the mileage?

BTW was thru there about 3 weeks ago tried to call you but you must have been

out of town. Thinking about Sturgis this year. Will let you know.

The two adjustments are provided in the Speedohealer so that if you want, you can calibrate it for 2 different size tires, or two different size sprockets or pulleys, such as for race day, that sort of thing. The Speedohealer is made for use on sportbikes as well as cruisers. All it does is change the timing pulses going to the electronic speedometer...it cant fix the 'skew' error thats built in to the Ventures speedometer/odometer combination.