IGNORED

2007 RSV mileage

Chrisfoth

What you expect and what you get may not be the same.

Mike

The reason I ask is because I have a six gallon tank, Ran it dry in 185 miles and it would only hold 4.5 gallons. Was out of gas and had to pour gas in it from a can on side of road. Trying to start discussion to see if others have this problem and how to fix. Should still have 1.5 gallons to burn why won't it pick it up

Yah! I'm going with the reserve setting on the petcock too!! Now, it varies from bike to bike, but usually when the orange fuel light goes on and the "countdown" starts on mine it will start to sputter about that point and it is time to switch over to reserve. Actually I eliminated that by having the petcock on reserve all the time...

When mine goes on reserve, it will take 4.2 gals to fill. If you ran out and it only took 4,4 gals you were not on reserve

This is why I'm questioning motor coughed sputtered I switched to reserve went a max of seven miles before refueling and has taken a max of 4.3 ish gallons. When I died on reserve on i81 n Mile marker 260.4 I put 4.5 gallons in the bike I had the petcock both positions and it was out of fuel. I believe something wrong with petcock not allowing it to pick up all fuel. Assuming I'm not the only one in history to have this problem and thought I would ask before tearing into it

How fast were you going on the highway? At about 75 MPH, and above, these beasts really start sucking down the fuel.

I was running 80 and expect it to suck fuel, very surprised to get 41.??? Mpg at that speed but it ran out and died on side of road with 1.5 gallons in tank. Would only hold 4.5 from dead dead dead out of gas with six gallon tank

Shorty does that and once in a while acts fuel starved switched to reserve and she don't get very much gas pulled the line to the carb and sure enough a trickle on reserve.. put it back to on and gas come pouring out the screens are clogged in petcock I'm guessing. I don't ride her much tho..

Twist the handle and move!!!

Another possibility is you may have a lot of cr@p plugging the filter on top of the reserve fitting on the inside of the tank. An '07 has been around a while, and if it's never had something like Sea Foam run thru it, a lot of water and junque will collect at the bottom of the tank.... I'd pull the tank and remove the petcock. I bet there's a lot of stuff blocking the reserve fitting.... My 2¢

Another possibility is you may have a lot of cr@p plugging the filter on top of the reserve fitting on the inside of the tank. An '07 has been around a while, and if it's never had something like Sea Foam run thru it, a lot of water and junque will collect at the bottom of the tank.... I'd pull the tank and remove the petcock. I bet there's a lot of stuff blocking the reserve fitting.... My 2¢

The reason I ask is because I have a six gallon tank, Ran it dry in 185 miles and it would only hold 4.5 gallons. Was out of gas and had to pour gas in it from a can on side of road. Trying to start discussion to see if others have this problem and how to fix. Should still have 1.5 gallons to burn why won't it pick it up

There are several posts on here about punching the gas tank filler neck. Do that and it will hold six gallons. Just remember not to fill it to the lip and then set the bike on the side stand on a hot day or you will discover your overflow vent tube.

With a punched six gallon tank I expect to get a little over 200 miles maybe up to 240 on a fill up when on the highway. Around town anything over 150 is good.

Mike