IGNORED

Why I became a supporting member

rpep1982

Hello everyone!

I wasn't looking for a motorcycle when I found my 1989 Venture Royale in a Harley dealership but when he said "make me an offer" well it was time to do some research. Next came you guys and this site, so I did my homework and made my list of things to check. I test drove the bike later that week and determined that at a minimum I would need to rebuild the forks but everything else seemed to be in fairly good shape for a bike made in October of 1988. 850 dollars later, I rode out with a 37000 mile motorcycle. Now after two weekends working on the forks, changing the engine oil and front brake pads my test ride went better than expected. I mean no wobbles, shimmies or other undesirable effects from working on the forks. I OWE IT ALL TO EVERYONE HERE! I still have plenty to do but it is ride-able and it looks great!

Thanks!

I had a victory before my RSV, and there is a forum for them I think they use the same software, I learned then the few buck you pay for the advice, help and friendship is well worth it.

I have had people call me from this site to help me with by bike

Thank you all that willing to take your time to help us less knowledgeable folks

Ahh,,,, but you have just let yourself into a most addicting website ever. Pretty soon you'll be upgrading the ingnition, cleaning the fuel pump points, checking the valves, putting zerks on the supension, drying the dessacant, sending the seat away for upgrades, upgrading the starter clutch, adjusting the carburetors, upgrading the fuses, greasing the steering bearings, greasing the swingarm bearings, greasing the drivepins and checking this site daily through the winter months. But you'll be smiling hanging around this bunch.

Why is there always a Harley involved?

In a few months i will have owned my '84 for 10 years and been a supporting member here almost as long. Found mine in a listing on Craigslist. The owner at the time had kept his dads bike when he passed away. He wasn't in any hurry to sell it being his dads bike but wanted a Harley for himself. We met, we talked and went over the bike. It had been stored since his dad had passed several years prior but he kept in in a heated garage, started it once in awhile and kept it clean. He'd removed several parts that had started leaking with the intention of rebuilding them but ya know..... it turned into a parts box collection.

He figured out I was familiar with the bike and had enough knowledge and interest to maintain it. We made a deal. i bought it for a song and I can't sing. We loaded it on his lawn trailer and brought to my place just after Christmas that year. Spent the next few months going through the bike and joining his bunch. The knowledge compiled here was what got me though the bike to get it back to roadworthy status. Since then the guys and gals here have been a constant source of info and advice for the years following. Great bunch to know. Not only for the info but ideas from what they had done with their own bikes have kept me on top of upgrades to new mods and better replacements. The bike today is beyond roadworthy and would jump on the bike and go anywhere on it.

The thing is, I still keep in touch with the guy I bought the bike from. Stop by his place on it and visit once in a while. It make me happy to see the grin on his face when I pull in on it. Makes him happy his dads bike is still out there running down the road. I think maybe he might regret letting the bike go. But that's just me. He's on his 3rd or 4rh new Harley since he sold me the Venture. A bike he thought was on it's last legs. But it's only been ten years. It's still got a lot of life left in it.

But you came to the right place, once you get used to this pack of critters it's hard to break away. It's been said before, it's more like family around here. So hang around and get to know the bunch.

Mike

:2YELLOW::12101:

Welcome aboard!! Best $1 a month you will ever spend!!! That's about 3 pennies a day! Not only will you find all the technical info you could ever need and more, you will also come to discover that we are a great big happy family here as well!! If you can, try to make it to some of the M&E's and Rallies that get put on and meet some of us in person! Feel free to chime in at any time on any of the threads, and come join us in chat for some really off the wall conversation! But watch out for that @Yama Mama, she has a whip and knows how to use it!!

Enjoy that 1st gen MK2, they are wonderful bikes!!!

This will be the most amazing "family" you will ever know. I started out joining this site after purchasing my 2007 Venture. After an accident in 2009 there had to be a change to a trike (HD) but the folks in here got me through some tough times, and I love them all dearly.

In 2011 and 2013 I shipped my trike to the USA and my husband rode a trusty 1984 Venture and we toured for 31/2 months the first trip and 3 months the second time. So many of the VR family invited us to stay in their homes.....it was wonderful, and we shall never forget their generosity. We loved traveling all over the U.S. And saw some wonderful places. Memories, amazing memories.

You wont just be a supporting member....you will be family---- welcome 😊

Ahh,,,, but you have just let yourself into a most addicting website ever. Pretty soon you'll be upgrading the ingnition, cleaning the fuel pump points, checking the valves, putting zerks on the supension, drying the dessacant, sending the seat away for upgrades, upgrading the starter clutch, adjusting the carburetors, upgrading the fuses, greasing the steering bearings, greasing the swingarm bearings, greasing the drivepins and checking this site daily through the winter months. But you'll be smiling hanging around this bunch.

Well, sounds like I have something to do during the brown and gray season now!

Hello everyone!

I wasn't looking for a motorcycle when I found my 1989 Venture Royale in a Harley dealership but when he said "make me an offer" well it was time to do some research. Next came you guys and this site, so I did my homework and made my list of things to check. I test drove the bike later that week and determined that at a minimum I would need to rebuild the forks but everything else seemed to be in fairly good shape for a bike made in October of 1988. 850 dollars later, I rode out with a 37000 mile motorcycle. Now after two weekends working on the forks, changing the engine oil and front brake pads my test ride went better than expected. I mean no wobbles, shimmies or other undesirable effects from working on the forks. I OWE IT ALL TO EVERYONE HERE! I still have plenty to do but it is ride-able and it looks great!

Thanks!

Standing rule number 1

:worthless:

I am very glad I joined. You will learn a lot and get more advice then you need. You will also be told what the best hot dog is, (cow puc ) Welcome aboard.

This is my 3rd venture 83,84.86. You will learn how to tell your better half that you need another part for that darn bike. Really you are saying ye haw get to make another add on. If any questions some one here has a good answer. The boss (freebird) is very helpful and has a weekend to put up with a lot of people. Again welcome enjoy your time here.

Edited by Doug royal86

Hello everyone!

Thanks!

Now let me see if I got this right Peppy,,, you walked into a Harley Shop and came out with a motorcycle that will easily carry you well over 200k miles for under $1000? Now that right there is note worthy in and of itself brother :thumbsup: and WAYYYYYY COOL:clap2::dancefool:!!

:think:,,,, FYI = you may have over spent on the VR Club dues here though. Pretty heavy yearly $$'s for a bunch of lop eared varmints who will rescue ya if ya break down, feed ya if your hungry, give ya a bed to sleep in if ya forgot your tent, help ya find nationwide part supplies, have a 24 hour tech info line, give ya a side ache from :rotf: so hard, cry with ya if your hurting and even give some pretty dog gone good Marriage Counseling if needed.. You might should have priced one of those Extended Warranty things that most HD shops offer - may have saved you some yearly dues money too :guitarist 2:!!

YA DID AWESOME ON THE SCOOT PEPPY, GLAD YOU FOUND US AND WELCOME ABOARD!!:thumbsup:

Puc