IGNORED

Is 77k too many miles

Thinking it all depends on its care for those 77k Volman.. I would say if the scoot has been properly maintained and ridden frequently thru the years (oft times just a quick "loaded" question to the previous owner asking if has been ridden at regular intervals every summer will help you find that out fairly easily). Actually, if I were buying any vehicle, car/bike/boat or swamp buggy, I would rather have one with a few more miles on it that I KNEW had been used regularly than a super low miled garage queen that has sat for 10 or 15 years.. Down time, in my short lived experience with the stuff, has always proven to be a scoots worst enemy BUT, that has just been my experience..

As DJ mentioned, if properly maintained - 77k and the ol girl is just getting started...

For a second GEN??? YES DEFINITELY! Now if it was a first gen it would still be a baby:stirthepot::crackup::stickpoke: :rotf:

:scared::big-grin-emoticon::thumbsup::witch_brew::no-no-no::crackup:

Dont let em fool ya Volman,, those 2nd Gen's are just as fast, just as durable and just as down right pretty as our 1st Gens,,,,,,,, according to some folks opinions that is.. Its just that PB, myself and a few others around this joint hold a higher esteem of our own and each others opinions.. Even though we KNOW we are right, that still doesnt remove those 2nd critters right to hold their own opinions,, even though PB, myself and a few others know they are wrong...

Hope that makes sense...

Endubidubly!:happy34: Cowpuc! and 87 is a first gen! or should we say the better, faster, prettier of the generations. Not that the second gens are bad...... they just aren't first Gen's that's all.

I have an 88' and an '06. I always drop into 4th when passing on the '06' but the 88' gets the job done by just cracking the throttle in 5th. Seems more like a difference in gearing maybe?

The 88' has almost 67k on it and is still fun and powerful, but it has been taken care of and garage kept. I did have to have the carbs rebuilt this spring, but it really brought the engine back to life.

Try to find any maintenance/repair invoices or maybe have an experienced 1st gen owner check it out with you.

Also, if you do end up purchasing the bike, do yourself a HUGE favor and join Venture Riders. You'll be astonished at the knowledge level and support!

Good luck!

i have found a 86 with 32 k and this 87 with 77k...both look good the 87 a tad better

the 87 runs great

the 86 runs but wont idle unless have choke is on and has very slight miss...it sat 10 months

both are same price but the 86 has 40k less miles

I let my '88 sit last summer. Put less than 25 miles on it over a 12 month period and that's when the trouble started in the fuel lines and carbs.

I put Yamaha parts in the carb rebuild and it was costly, but it starts as easy as my '06 with 10k on it and runs smooth as silk at idle or on the road.

Tough decision...........maybe you should buy both of them!

HI @volmann,

That is a hard question....I personally would like the machine with the lower miles, as the idle issue could probably be fixed with some minor carb cleaning, running a couple of tanks of fresh gas and Seafoam through her, and syncing the carbs......but this is all stuff I would do even on the 87 if I bought it.

But the other factor is the plastic, color, and general appearance of the bike.......I like to ride pretty bikes, not just ones that are mechanically sound....And replacing missing or damaged plastic parts on these Ventures can get pretty expensive. I personally own both Venture Royale colours (Black and Brown) models from 1986 and think they are very pretty, therefore I'm kind of biased. Also simple things like seat condition, operational air ride system, tires, brakes should also come into play in your decision too as though those are all fixable, they can add up to additional $$.

So follow you heart when choosing the bike, don't be scared away from turnings some wrenches as that is what will make you feel more confident and become closer friends with your bike. OR the real solution to the problem is to buy both, then you can't go wrong....that is what I do! :cool10:

HI @volmann,

That is a hard question....I personally would like the machine with the lower miles, as the idle issue could probably be fixed with some minor carb cleaning, running a couple of tanks of fresh gas and Seafoam through her, and syncing the carbs......but this is all stuff I would do even on the 87 if I bought it.

But the other factor is the plastic, color, and general appearance of the bike.......I like to ride pretty bikes, not just ones that are mechanically sound....And replacing missing or damaged plastic parts on these Ventures can get pretty expensive. I personally own both Venture Royale colours (Black and Brown) models from 1986 and think they are very pretty, therefore I'm kind of biased. Also simple things like seat condition, operational air ride system, tires, brakes should also come into play in your decision too as though those are all fixable, they can add up to additional $$.

So follow you heart when choosing the bike, don't be scared away from turnings some wrenches as that is what will make you feel more confident and become closer friends with your bike. OR the real solution to the problem is to buy both, then you can't go wrong....that is what I do! :cool10:

Well i went looked at 86 again, its ""just got 18K miles"" on it not 32K

Fires right up but wont idle without half choke, u can turn choke off and hold throttle at 900 0r 1000 rpm and it will idle smooth with a very very very slight miss

It runs fine at all speeds above idle, everything works has cover and owners manual

here is the 86 with 18k01313_lwUfxMl13kl_600x450.jpg

She looks real pretty!!!! Thanks for sending pictures....if your have any more that is even more helpful.

I personally love the 1986 brown color scheme...The idle issue should be easily cleared up with some minor carb cleaning and Seafoam.

Sorry to ask...but are you sure it is 18,000 original miles and not 118,000 miles instead? It is very rare to find a 30 year old highway cruiser that has such low milage. Also, speedometers have a tendency to wear out and get replaced on these bike and therefore don't always tell the truth (and sellers sometimes don't tell the truth either). I would check the brake rotors...if they have a large lip or ridge outside of where the brake pad touches due to ware then it might be a 118,000 machine...they should be smooth like a brand new bike if it only has 18,000 on her.

How much are these bike anyways? I always go for lower miles because they're typically easier to sell. EVERYONE looking at a higher mileage bike is thinking exactly the same thing you are. I was kind of meh about buying my 06 with 33K miles on it but after doing some research it should be fine for what I paid for it.

yes im sure its 18k..the guy is selling for his neighbor that moved down from ohio ......it was rode down from ohio 7 months ago...the old man got sick and didn't ride it. he is in the VA hospital now...said i could go there and speak with him...and its never sat outside

yes im sure its 18k..the guy is selling for his neighbor that moved down from ohio ......it was rode down from ohio 7 months ago...the old man got sick and didn't ride it. he is in the VA hospital now...said i could go there and speak with him...and its never sat outside

Sounds like it is time to stop asking questions and time to pull the trigger and buy the bike before someone beats you to it! Also pay the $12 to become a full member here (best investment you will ever make)!

Im afraid I will have to spend 600.00 on carbs. B12 in tank and new plugs may work if I ride it

You will have some expense with any used bike. They all need work somewhere.

Doing carbs is not a hard job. Can be done in a Saturday afternoon of lazy work. And it's cheap if you do it yourself.nassuming the parts are all still good it just the cost of cleaning solutions.

or, you can do the "sea foam shotgun/ peashooter thing" which is very popular.

dont pass up a good deal on a decent bike just because it has gummed up/ dirty carbs. Very few used bikes are NOT going to have gummed up/ dirty carbs. It's just part of the used bike game....

Edited by Great White
Spellcheck got me again