IGNORED

Is my bike on the level?

darthandy

On my Triumph, the gas filler cap is parallel to the ground so I can put a level on it to see if the bike itself is level. But is there anywhere on an RSV that I can put a level to check if the bike is level? Neither my garage floor nor my driveway are level - and by different amounts too.

Andy

On my Triumph, the gas filler cap is parallel to the ground so I can put a level on it to see if the bike itself is level. But is there anywhere on an RSV that I can put a level to check if the bike is level? Neither my garage floor nor my driveway are level - and by different amounts too.

Andy

Is this so you can check the oil level to within a knat's ass per chance?

:buttkick:

Gary

Is this so you can check the oil level to within a knat's ass per chance?

:buttkick:

Gary

Actually, up here in the Great White North, we use Black Fly asses - they're metric, you know! And what I'd like to do is to check the aim on my headlight and then use that to set the aim on my passing lights.

Oh Playboy, is that what we refer to as a "Half-assed" remark?

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

I should have known this would become toilet humour! It always seems to get us - in the end!

Andy

Is a 2nd gen headlight not adjustable as you are riding down the road like a 1st gen?

RandyA

Yes it is but I was thinking of the side to side adjustment. When I first got my Triumph, it seemed to have poor lighting. When I checked it I discovered that someone had played with the adjustment screws and the aim was way off. Much better lighting once the lights were properly aimed. I wanted to check the Venture's as well just in case. You can never have too much lighting on a bike! Also, I'm not too sure I want to try that adjustment while riding. the knob isn't exactly a quick and easy reach.

Thanks for the info Playboy...that's how I usually do it.

Micarl, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. How will a level placed against the rear rotor tell me if the bike is level?

Andy

Guest tx2sturgis

Come to the flatlands, its level EVERYWHERE around here.

Seriously, all u have to do is either measure from ground level to the center of the headlight, then use that same distance on the aiming wall, from floor to center of beam, or, take a ride down a lonely stretch of road at nite, pull over and stop, and manually adjust it at the side of the road. Do NOT try to adjust the headlight knob while riding a 2nd gen.

Having the bike level or not has no impact on the final setting of the headlight.

Shoot I just did the 2x4 under the kickstand like checking oil. If you want to make sure it isnt off to the side now your going to have go thru a bunch more hoops. You will have to measure from handlebar end to say the corner of the trunk on both sides and get the handlebars perficly centered. Now that is also going to have to take into account that the fairing is perfectly centered as your riding down the road too.

I agreee the up/down adjuster aint the easiest thing in the world to get at to adjust the dang thing neither.

Micarl, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. How will a level placed against the rear rotor tell me if the bike is level?

Andy

If the rotor is vertical the motorcycle is level (assuming the motorcycle isn't bent).

I agree with tx2sturgis: Not necessary. When riding the motorcycle spends little time level anyhow.

I just have to ask has it been hanging around any "bad" bikes lately? :stickinouttounge:

Well, there were a couple (!) of Harley's near it at the Friday the13th gathering in Port Dover this past Friday. Hmmmm ... I wonder! Actually, I need to know if it's level from front to back, not side to side. Since I'm dealing with a sloped floor, if I can get the bike level, then it's a relatively easy matter to figure out where the beam should hit at the 40 foot mark using my laser level. But...I need a starting reference point with the bike level, front to back. Sorry ... once again I have failed to properly explain myself. Must have been affected by those nearby Harley's on Friday. tx2sturgis, your method is what I would normally use but my garage floor has a "break" in the centre so the back half has more slope than the front and as if that weren't enough fun, the driveway has a different slope as well. Our flatland areas up here are cold with fairly short riding seasons. I'd rather stay where I am. I can't afford to move where you are so up North is where I must stay.

Andy

Guest tx2sturgis

Maybe a pic will help explain what Im trying to say. Something about 1000 words.... In the picture, as long as the X distance is equal to the Y distance, it wont matter WHAT angle the bike is at, within reason...I doubt you'll be parking on a slab thats more than a few degrees off level. Put the laser level away, it has no use around motorcycles. Its for architectural , construction, and framing use. Or, hanging a series of pictures on the wall. Aiming a motorcycle headlight is as much about personal preference as it is about a dead-on accurate angle. Besides, it will vary based on the load the bike is carrying.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Maybe a pic will help explain what Im trying to say. Something about 1000 words.... In the picture, as long as the X distance is equal to the Y distance, it wont matter WHAT angle the bike is at, within reason...I doubt you'll be parking on a slab thats more than a few degrees off level. Put the laser level away, it has no use around motorcycles. Its for architectural , construction, and framing use. Or, hanging a series of pictures on the wall. Aiming a motorcycle headlight is as much about personal preference as it is about a dead-on accurate angle. Besides, it will vary based on the load the bike is carrying.

Thanks for the pic Brian. It explains things nicely, but as I mentioned before, I'm dealing with 3 different slopes to the back wall of my garage so that method doesn't work unless I can find somewhere else to do the work. As for personal taste on headlight aiming ... around here, a headlight shining into a passing officer's eyes is a quick way to get pulled over, so I want to be sure it is properly aimed. Actually, the laser level came in quite handy when I was aiming the Triumph's twin headlights given my floor situation. I guess I'll just have to go find a flat parking lot or some such, with a convenient wall to aim at. Should be interesting when it comes time to explain to the owner what I am doing.

Andy

You can use your laser to measure the angle of the floor that the bike is sitting on. You can then use that angle to find the distance up from the floor that your beam must be aimed to.

Make sure the bike is loaded to the normal weights that it is ridden at. If you are normally 2 up, then you want to adjust the headlight with 2 up. I have found that I have to adjust my aim just by adding 40 lbs to the back of the bike.