IGNORED

Info on replacing the stator?

I read the VR tech article but it seems to have a lot missing, particularly when reinstalling. If my memory serves me correctly, although probably incompletely, there are quite a few hints or tips scattered around the thousands of threads on this forum thatt I don't recall the details and can't seem to find.

There is something about:

- using Locktite but was it the red stuff or the blue stuff?

- what about torque on the 3 inside bolts and the 2 outside ones?

- using a spray gasket remover instead of a scraper?

- properly aligning the shift shaft or it won't work after getting it all together

- the washer that fell out when I pulled the stator cover off? It has a lip on the inside edge and a couple of bends that would work like a compression spring. Which way should it go in?

- before sealing, is it better to just pull the new wires through the case grommet in place or remove the grommet from the case first?

There may be more but that is all I can think of now.

Only 5 days before I want to leave for Nelson Kruzen the Kootenays. No pressure. :big-grin-emoticon:

When you put the wire thru the grommet clean the wire real well with brake fluid first and then ensure its dry. Cover the wire on each side of the grommet with RtV sealant and then pull the wire back and forth thru the grommet to pull some RTV into the grommet, then make sure each side of the opening is sealed up with rtv, this should help make sure you dont have a leak. Let it sit overnight to set up.This is the most common spot to get a leak on the ventures and its a pain if you dont get it right the first time.

Glad to hear that youre coming out to Nelson. looking forward to seeing you there!

brian

When you put the wire thru the grommet clean the wire real well with brake fluid first and then ensure its dry. Cover the wire on each side of the grommet with RtV sealant and then pull the wire back and forth thru the grommet to pull some RTV into the grommet, then make sure each side of the opening is sealed up with rtv, this should help make sure you dont have a leak. Let it sit overnight to set up.This is the most common spot to get a leak on the ventures and its a pain if you dont get it right the first time.

Glad to hear that youre coming out to Nelson. looking forward to seeing you there!

brian

One other tip. When re-installing the Cover, you have about 13 Bolts.

Takes Some time to get the gasket in place with Sealant, and all the bolts installed,

SO--- Be sure you use a Gasket Sealant, that does-- NOT--- start to set up in about 20 min.

You want to use a Sealant that gives you about 45 Min. of work time.

Also, be sure all the threads, on those small bolts for the cover are Clean, and I suggest running a Tap, thru the holes to make darn sure all the threads, are Clean !

Do a real good job, of cleaning the surface's and holes.

The shift rod, Joint, UNder, the Aft Cover, the forward Joint, can be installed up, or down. Make sure its re installed in the correct position. ( I don't remember which now ) -- IT will go together WRONG !!!!

I used no gasket sealant and I have no leaks. I just followed standard cover proceedure and went around putting a 1/2 turn on each bolt in a criss cross pattern until tight, then torqued each in a criss cross pattern.

Torque on the inside screws was as tight as I can turn them without stripping. Factory did not use locktite, so I did not use locktite.

My new stator came with a wire feed through so I cleaned all surfaces and used black RTV around it and set it in place and reassembled. I did wipe a little bit of black RTV on both rubber wire feed through where it mates with the case gasket.

Hardest part is cleaning that rock of a gasket off the cover without gouging the aluminum. I used gasket remover foam and plastic razor blades. a good auto body shot can get them for you. Gasket surfaces 100% clean means the gasket alone will seal up for you.

Picked up some Permatex Gasket remover and a plastic scraper after work today. Hopefully that will remove the old gasket which is attached to the engine side. The under surface of the gasket might be stuck on with gasket sealer but the top surface definitely never had anything on it. Whatever is holding it, it sure did not want to come off.

Think I'll try the hand torque method too, after making sure everything is clean, Clean, CLEAN. Which is better, brake fluid or solvent?

My new stator did not come with a new wire grommet so the old one will also get cleaned with brake fluid or solvent. Got some Permatex Ultra Black RTV (PX #82180) which is a high-temp maximum oil resistance silicon gasket maker that Earl sent with the stator.

Can no one remember which way the special washer faces? I'll have a look at it and see if I can figure it out tonight when I'm cleaning the gasket and other things but as always it would be helpful to find out for sure from someone who has done it.

If anyone else has other useful info that has not been mentioned yet, please chime in. When I'm done I will compile what I have and submit it to Freebird as an amendment to the one document I found in the Tech Library on stator replacement. Seems it is harder to put together than to take apart.

Don't use brake fluid for cleaning, use brake cleaner or contact cleaner. I think that is what was meant, but didn't get printed somehow.

The inside lip of the washer goes in towards the engine.

Good catch, Carl, thanks! yes, i meant brake cleaner, sorry if I lead you astray Clive.

brian

Don't use brake fluid for cleaning, use brake cleaner or contact cleaner. I think that is what was meant, but didn't get printed somehow.

The inside lip of the washer goes in towards the engine.

Was just about to go out and do it so I'm glad I checked in here before doing the cleaning with brake fluid. Guess I will have to stop off at the auto supply again tomorrow and get some brake cleaner. Good thing I have 4 more days before I have to leave, the way things are going it just might take that long.

I have not done my stator yet but I have had that cover off. The gasket is just baked on. I had a bout half stayed on the cover and the other half stayed on the engine. PITA to clean
Found when I went out to work on it that I was wrong about the gasket sticking to the engine side as it was completely on the cover side. Was thinking while spraying the gasket cleaner on the cover that it would have been real messy if it had been on the engine side. The gasket cleaner removes paint so it is very important that any paint is properly protected before spraying. Another up side to the fortunate circumstance of having the gasket on the cover is that the gasket cleaner also removes clear coat. Sprayed the cover inside and out and got rid of the remnants of clear coat so it looks a whole lot better than it did before.

Also, be sure all the threads, on those small bolts for the cover are Clean, and I suggest running a Tap, thru the holes to make darn sure all the threads, are Clean !
This is a good point since while scraping the old gasket off bits and pieces were falling everywhere. Some of them must have fallen into the bolt holes.

Just thought I would mention something that could be important.

Those three machine screws that hold the stator in place are probably made out of recycled garbage so be really paranoid when tightening them. I just broke one turning it by hand with a screwdriver. :bang head:

Thought I was too old to be doing that anymore. :sign07:

Have I mentioned lately that I hate being a mechanic?

Probably not but...

"I hate being a mechanic!"

There I said it and I'm not sorry.

Tonight I'm going to drink Tequila, lots of Tequila.

Rocket is going to come over tomorrow and save me.

Isn't he a sweetheart? :thumbsup2:

Hmmm...first time I have heard him called that...... :shock3:

But he is a pretty good and helpful guy......:happy65:

Rocket Is a real helpful guy and has been my lifesaver a few times, but I know I didnt ever call him a sweetheart,.....sumthin youre not telling us Clive? :stickpoke::smile5:

Brian

Forgive me if I have the wrong pic here as I've never met the man, but he stayed at a motel near me while on his cross country tour, but you do understand he will need to be fed right?

I hear he's not all that picky of an eater so that should not be a problem.

Sorry Rocket..... I hear stories. Or are they? :crackup:

Mike

Not a picky eater is an understatement,....i think the Bison they had next to Wainwright base where he was working had a large fence around them to keep Rocket out, NOT to keep the Bison in......heheh

Brian

Edited by friesman

"I hate being a mechanic!"

There I said it and I'm not sorry.

Tonight I'm going to drink Tequila, lots of Tequila.

Rocket is going to come over tomorrow and save me.

Isn't he a sweetheart? :thumbsup2:

First time that I know of, that I have been called that by a guy. Did Mary, put you up to saying that??? I know, she is coming to Nelson, with you.

I had previously said, I would give you a hand if you had a problem, now I will be coming over with a few things, for this task.

Not a picky eater is an understatement,....i think the Bison they had next to Wainwright base where he was working had a large fence around them to keep Rocket out, NOT to keep the Bison in......heheh

Brian

Nope, they are on part of the Base, not next to it. The fence is to keep them in, their areas, as there is 4 paddocks for the herd. I have had BBQ bison meat in Wainwright, as there was the occasional slaughter & meat sales from the kitchen. :2cents:

There is also cattle in parts of the training area. They sometimes block the road & give you a dumb look when you hit the air horn (kind of like cage drivers at times). But I have never hit, or run any over.

First time that I know of, that I have been called that by a guy. Did Mary, put you up to saying that??? I know, she is coming to Nelson, with you.

No she didn't, I thought of it all by myself. :sun:

However, she will give you a lot of points for helping us to get to Nelson.

I had previously said, I would give you a hand if you had a problem, now I will be coming over with a few things, for this task.
There you go, proving I am right. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

So could not get the screw to come out of the cover.

Good thing Rocket brought his spare cover over. :sun:

We got it back together but when I fired up the engine it is still only charging at 12v. One leg of the windings were black in the old one so it definitely had a problem but at this point don't know if it was THE problem. Found the pickup had a crack in the backside, cleaned it good and put some RTV over the crack. Is that a possible cause for a lack of charging? Got a spare Shindengen regulator but will have to check the stator to see if it looks like it is OK electrically speaking.

Just checked and there is 58v AC between the legs so that looks good to me anyway.

Nelson is starting to look like a long shot. :95:

Edited by camos

i bet one of the things is that wrench you pocketed at my place this morning. dam you were fast. i could hear you running down the deck . but did you have to throw up gravel all over my bike when you pealed out of here ? :backinmyday::stirthepot::stickinouttounge:

Haven't got the fairing back together yet but the new stator and regulator are in place and and seem to be working well. Looks like I will be off Kruzin the Kootenays tomorrow. Wanted to extend a very big thank you for all the help I received doing this project.

:sign outstanding: :You_Rock_Emoticon: :sign woo hoo: :clap2: :thumbsup2:

Get the picture? It's the best I can come up with. :big-grin-emoticon:

Haven't got the fairing back together yet but the new stator and regulator are in place and and seem to be working well. Looks like I will be off Kruzin the Kootenays tomorrow. Wanted to extend a very big thank you for all the help I received doing this project.

:sign outstanding: :You_Rock_Emoticon: :sign woo hoo: :clap2: :thumbsup2:

Get the picture? It's the best I can come up with.

:big-grin-emoticon:

Ride safe Clive ... see you in Nelson.

oh, and for the rest of the gang going to KK .... don't forget Rocket's new nickname.. you know... that one Clive dubbed him with ... starts with an "Sw" something or another ending in "heart"... :stirthepot:

Ride safe Clive ... see you in Nelson.

oh, and for the rest of the gang going to KK .... don't forget Rocket's new nickname.. you know... that one Clive dubbed him with ... starts with an "Sw" something or another ending in "heart"... :stirthepot:

To be only be used by a select few, Nina, Laura & Janet are amongst those few......... :thumbsup2: