IGNORED

Bars Leaks engine stop leak question

Bwhite

I have a brother that just purchased a very well taken care of '86 Goldwing. It puffs some blue smoke at cold start-up for a few seconds. He was told to try Bars Leaks engine stop leak with conditioner. He's wondering if it will mess with the clutch plates. With the wealth of knowledge on this site, maybe you'd have some comments.

Thanks Ventureriders.

Brian in Mankato, MN

2000 RSV

Well how do I put this? No. No. and NO!!!!!! Don't do it. A little bit of blue smoke at start up isn't abnormal for an older bike with some miles on it. Bars leaks is not going to help with worn piston rings. Just leave it alone. Don't do anything.

The older 4 cyl Wings ALL puff a bit of smoke at startup. When you lean it on the sidestand, those left cylinders are pointing down and a small amount of oil will seep in. This isn't harmful....best to just monitor the oil level and let it go if it isn't burning more than that. Or, use only the centerstand.

My '82 GL1100 puffs a bit sometimes and it's been doing that for years now. It's no big deal really and it's never been enough to cause an issue with oil levels. Hold your breath and ride away! At least it doesn't leave a mess on the driveway!

-JK

The older 4 cyl Wings ALL puff a bit of smoke at startup. When you lean it on the sidestand, those left cylinders are pointing down and a small amount of oil will seep in. This isn't harmful....best to just monitor the oil level and let it go if it isn't burning more than that. Or, use only the centerstand.

I agree, I don't know if they all do it or not but the one I had does but it wasn't enough for me to have to add oil between changes.

Just gives the Harley guys something to rag on you about.:Im not listening to

BOO

Ummmm I thought Bars Leaks was for radiators and cooling system leaks ??:confused24: But in any case you don't really need to do anything other then keep an eye on the oil level.A little blue on start up is ok and wont hurt anything.Like one post said automatic ring and valve lube.

I use the Bars Leak Rear main seal "repair" in my truck.

I have to add it every other oil change.

With the bars leak the truck uses less than 1 quart of oil between changes. This the oil consumption that it had since the day I bought it new. Without the bars leak it leaks 2 quarts out the rear main seal between changes. Very messy but does help to keep the bottom of the truck from rusting.

I know it should not be leaking yet, it only has 300K on it. Someday I'll get real ambitious and replace the rear seal.

It does not sound like this would help your problem at all.

Dont do it on the bike my old gold wing did that for 85,000 miles. It never got low between oil changes. someone told me to try synthetic and it would stop that. It worked in my old pickup with 190,000 miles on it but not sure about the bike.

Also put a 2x4 under the kickstand and that will help it a bunch this way it doesn't lean over so far.