IGNORED

OK, Where do you think the gas went??

OK, Where do you think the gas went??

I went out to the shed today to start getting the bike ready enough to ride to go and get the new tires mounted.

After a winter of sitting in the dark and the cold in the shed all alone, it did not want to start.

It turned over just fine. But no so much as a fart.

Hmmmmmm

Then looking at the dash I notice that there are no bars showing on the gas gauge.

Now when I parked it for the winter I filled the tank to the top with fresh gas with some stabil and some seafoam in it. I even got the gas from way up nort so that it would not have alky in it.

So I opened the tank filler and sure enough, completely empty.

There is no sign of gas having been on the floor, and the oil level is normal.

So I added a gallon of fresh gas and it started right up. Benn watching it and still no drips on the floor.

I don't think it could have been the neighbors, the shed is locked, the tank is locked, and a jug of gas next to the bike is still full.

Where do you suppose 5 gallons of gas could have run off to????:confused24:

Hey Jeff,

It takes a single VR Carb. about 21/2 hours to drain the gas tank on a First Gen. VR. Because the main fuel line from the fuel pump to the fuel rail on top of the Carbs. is higher than the Float Bowls, once fuel starts flowing from a worn float needle, the siphon effect will basically drain the entire tank. Especially if, like me, you leave the fuel petcock in the reserve position. Because there are no local gas stations that sell fuel without Ethanol, I have been draining the tank on my First Gen. and putting fresh gas in the tank when spring comes. Looks like you are doing the same thing, weather you meant to or not! With 4 plus gallons of gas leaking thru the floorboards of your shed, I would be willing to bet that there are NO rabbits,:crackup: or grass living under your shed. You might not want to sneak in there for a smoke in the near future!:confused24:

Earl

So You are saying I need to pull the carbs and do a rebuild?

Or can the float needles be replaced while on the bike?

Do you have a kit for this?

Floor is concrete, there are no drip marks or stains under the bike.

I did have reduced gas mileage at the end of last year along with slightly harder starting and a slight miss.

I was hoping that a new set of spark plugs and a sync would make it better. I do have a set of carb diaphragms just cuz I have no idea how old these are.

I hate working on carbs. Too much smoke and mirrors going on with all of the different circuits.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I think it time for a carb rebuild.

I have never had much luck with rebuilding carbs on anything.

But here is whats happening.

First there was all of the above issues.

Ever since ten I have noticed that the starting procedure has changed.

It was always, half to full choke depending on temp hit the starter and it was running, wait a minute or so for it to warm up, open the choke and go.

This year if I use the choke at all it will instantly flood. This I determine by a strong gas smell and the only way it will start is with the choke open, full throttle, hit the starter and in about 10-15 seconds of cranking it will fire, I must then immediately close the choke for the normal warm up.

Today on the way home from work I made a stop, when I came back to the bike there was a very strong gas odor around it. I was only gone 15 minutes so it was still hot. I made a quick check for any obvious leaks and found none.

But it would not start, It smelled and acted flooded, after nearly killing the battery and cranking at full throttle it finally coughed, spit and sputtered its way to life. After that it ran fine for the rest of the way home.

SOooooo..........

I am agreeing with some kind of float issue.

I do have a new set of diaphragms that I bought this winter. What else should I plan to have on hand before I start tearing stuff apart. I will be asking a lot of questions and be needing some hand holding to get thru this.

I am assuming everything in the carbs and fuel system is original from 87.

I plan to replace all lines and the filter "while I am there". (4 words that ALWAYS get me in trouble).

I hate carb work.

Earl, I may need to add to that order I just placed.:mo money: