I pulled the rear wheel off of my '08 RSV this morning (installing a new tire).

When I flipped the wheel over (rotor side down), this spring-looking thing was lying on the backside of the rotor. It has a diameter of approx 1.25" if that helps.

I'm not sure where this came from...:confused24::confused24::confused24: since I hadn't disassembled anything.

I looked at the rear wheel parts diagram, and the only thing that loosely resembles this is an o-ring.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Edited by BigBear
Added diameter

How big is it? This size of a golf ball? Tennis ball?

You said it was behind the rotor - does this mean it was like a rubberband that smeone stretched over the rotor so it was between the rotor and the wheel, or was it on the other side of the wheel, where the drive splines mate with the rear drive unit?

Goose

It's approx 1.25", and was just laying on the rotor (like it is in the picture)...not over anything...it looked like it had fallen to the backside of the rotor.

Based on how mangled it is, it's probabably a remnant of the "on the road" tire change last year...no telling what the "tech" did....

I pulled the axle, raised the bike, pulled the tire, and set the wheel (rotor down) on a support stand I manufactured. That's when I noticed this "spring" laying on the backside of the rotor.

It's approx 1.25", and was just laying on the rotor (like it is in the picture)...not over anything...it looked like it had fallen to the backside of the rotor.

Based on how mangled it is, it's probabably a remnant of the "on the road" tire change last year...no telling what the "tech" did....

I pulled the axle, raised the bike, pulled the tire, and set the wheel (rotor down) on a support stand I manufactured. That's when I noticed this "spring" laying on the backside of the rotor.

The word picture is still puzzling - if it was just laying on the rotor, then it could not have been in that place while it was on the bike, as it would have just fallen off when the wheel was vertical, or the brakes would have pushed it off when the wheel turned. So that means it had to fall off of something when you laid the wheel down.

At just over 1" in diameter, it sounds about like the size of a typical neoprene oil seal - all of them have a spring like that inside the lip of the seal to maintain good contact with the shaft they are sealing. Could be from one of the wheel bearing seals that got ripped out by sloppy mechanical work, then was lodged inside the left side of the wheel next to the final drive. When you pulled the wheel, it fell on the rim, then when you laid it down, it fell off the rim onto the rotor?

Goose

Another possibility - there is also a large thick rubber seal on the wheel near the drive splines. I seem to recal that it is a lot bigger than 1.25", and I have no idea if it has a spring inside of it, but I'd also check there.

Hmmmm............. I have had the rear end apart SEVERAL times in the last few months for the Vmax rear end install/uninstall - I didn't see anything like that when I had it apart. It appears the "spring" is mangled, so that might be tough telling where it came from.......... Sorry, no help at all on this one. :confused24:

Could be one of several oil seal/o-ring/hub dust seal from that side of the wheel (#4, 8 & 10)

Edited by bar836

There's nothing on the final that it could come from. It does look like the tension spring from a wheel bearing seal. Did you put new bearings in the rear wheel and maybe screw up the seal while prying it out?? I do all the time... After replacing the old seal the spring may have gotten stuck on some grease when putting the wheel back on and you didn't notice it??? :confused07: