IGNORED

Mainternance Day Pre-Day

V7Goose

For the past few years I have conducted a special pre-maintenance day clinic on the Friday before the official Maintenance Day at Don's in Ohio. If I remember correctly, last year we demonstrated how to do a valve adjustment on the 2nd gen, and the year before we did a carb float clinic.

So for all those who are considering showing up a day early, I'm taking suggestions on what we should do for the Friday clinic this year.

Goose

Well...I DO need to repack my steering head bearings. :) That is really a job though.
Y're ight, that is certainly a big job. Takes starting pretty early to be sure and wrap it up all in one day. That is a big concern with some folks wanting to arrive on Friday morning to observe. But with you, we have the benefit of not being overly concerned about finishing it on Friday, so we can potentially wait to start until mid day.

Let's see what other suggestions we get, but his is a good possibility.

Is it true you can drill and tap for a grease zerk that is accessable for that steering head?

I too would be interested in that.......

Quite easy to put in a zerk fitting (but it is not something that I suggest). If you can drill and tap any hole, that is a simple job. While there are techniques to do that without even opening the steering head, I REALLY do NOT NOT NOT suggest that for the average person - just too much risk of contaminating the bearing area with metal particles.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

what about greasing the drive shaft? i realy need to do this and dont have a lift of the tools to do it yet.the dealer said i didnt need to do this that it wouldnt be worth it for me,i think with 64500 and have had it only a year in may and dont know the history i should do it.

I personally do not believe the drive shaft needs to be pulled and greased more than once every 100,000 miles, but nevertheless, it is quite easy to do. On the other hand, the drive clutch pins really do need to be lubed with EVERY rear tire change. If we have anyone who plans to change a rear tire on maintenance day, we can demonstrate both of those.

Goose

It IS a big job, maybe TOO big to tackle for the day. It is something that I can do myself if I ever get off my lazy tale and get to it. I'm willing to do it but am certainly open to other and easier projects.

You wimp, last year the top end of your bike was laying in the driveway getting the valves checked.

How bad can the bearings be.

I think this whole Oberlin MD thing is just a ploy to get free labor done on the scooter.

:think:

Suck it up.

Gary

Well, I have to say that this group has been very good about pitching in. Since I started putting the donation can out at lunch a couple of years ago, I think I have ever been out more than a couple hundred bucks and that's just pretty darn good. The fun of seeing old friends and making new ones is worth far more than that. :thumbsup2:

• 2 weeks later...

OK Boss, you win the Kewpie doll This year - haven't seen any other significant interest in other specific projects, so let's do your steering head bearings on Friday. How 'bout we start about 11:00 am? That means we will probably get to the actual steering head (after stripping off the fairing) somewhere in the early afternoon - about 1300, allowing for plenty of beer time!

Goose

Hell, if you feel frisky Goose, I'll let you do a side by side bearing install.

I have a new set in the box waiting to go in the old Dinosaur.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/dinosaur.jpg

swingarm bearing lube and adjust. Goose.

I was thinking this as well. Never here too much about this being done, possibly overlooked by many. I doubt it as big a job as the steering head bearing, but think some may find it interesting.

Brad

OK Boss, you win the Kewpie doll This year - haven't seen any other significant interest in other specific projects, so let's do your steering head bearings on Friday. How 'bout we start about 11:00 am? That means we will probably get to the actual steering head (after stripping off the fairing) somewhere in the early afternoon - about 1300, allowing for plenty of beer time!

Goose

Let's give it a few more days and see if any other suggestions or preferences come in. If we do it, I'll try to get started on the tear down before then maybe. It will be hard because I'm usually slammed getting ready for the big day.

How about installing progressive springs on a certain blonde 1st gen.

or the clutch upgrade....or rear end grease....or fuse upgrade, battery bypass, steering head adjustment,...or....lets see....what other parts do I have waiting....hmmm

nudge nudge, wink wink :stickpoke: