it will be a pain, but i had a similar problem and I hope this works for you.

I took my hinge assembly apart and put it back together. don't know what i did or how that fixed it, but it works normal. there is not much room in there when it won't open all the way, you can try that.

Probably bent the support arm just a tad. Get the lid up as far as you can and take the upper bracket off, and from there you should be able to put it back into straight shape. The slide bar should slide up and down with out any friction to speak of. Not that bad of a job.

What year is it? if you still have warranty take it to the dealer. If not get another venture over there and compare the 2 to see what might be going on and go from there.

By the way what kind of Stuff did this nieghbor kid Stuff in your trunk? How did this 7 year old stuff Stuffing Kid Muscle the lid closed after he stuffed all that stuff in there? Was his last name Kent?

My guess this 7 year old stuff stuffing kid who muscled your lid shut with all that stuff in there has bent your hinge assembly.

Good Luck!

That sounds like what mine was doing just after I bought it. A screw in the left side support had come out letting it rotate. It may have been loose and his forcing it may have pulled it on out. Reach in and see if you can hold the support base in place and open it.

If there was anything in your trunk, the kid may have pushed it into the split between the lid and base (like a glove, soft jacket) causing the lid to at as though it has spring tention. It doesn't take much in that area to cause what you have described. Hope he didn't bend or twist the hinges or spring one back. Good Luck.

NEIGHBOR'S 7 YEAR OLD KID WAS PLAYING IN MY MOTORCYCLE HOUSE AND PUT STUFF IN THE TRUNK OF MY 2006 RAV. HE MUSCLED THE LID SHUT AND NOW IT WON'T RAISE ALL THE WAY AND ONLY STAYS HALF WAY UP. I NOW LOCK THE BUILDING. HOW DO I GET THE THING BACK RIGHT? :doh:

I'm gonna relay to you the message I got from someone on this website many months ago. The hinges are bent, just gently, but firmly, raise the lid back up to verticle. The hinges will bend back. Don't ask me how I know!

This is a very common problem - people mess them up on the showroom floor before the bikes are even sold.

The backing plate on the left side where the support strut is located is simply bent away from the back of the trunk. As stated, all you need to do is gently push the trunk all the way open so it reaches full vertical. Now you can either let the lid sit on the support arm or open it all the way and it will stay straight up by itself.

Goose

Put the kids finger in on the oposite side of where its sprung and close the lid to "reset". I know I know, really it probably aint no big deal. But like Davecb said, kid need to learn to keep his paws off stuff that aint his.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2005 Midnight and the trunk lid only opens as far as shown in the picture.

I took it apart but it appears there is not more travel on the rod to extend it futher.

Question. Should it open further? Am I missing something?

Thanks.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]78198[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Mine was the same..08....as said before the bracket that attaches to back of truck was bent towards the rear ..I took apart the support rod assembly...then used channel lock pliers to 'gently' bend it back...lid now goes up all the way

I have a 2005 Midnight and the trunk lid only opens as far as shown in the picture.

I took it apart but it appears there is not more travel on the rod to extend it futher.

Question. Should it open further? Am I missing something?

Thanks.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]78198[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I had the same issue. flipped the bottom part attached to the trunk around and now the top goes up to near 90 degrees.

Small screws in the metal interior bracket, and on screw to the lid. You can likely see the travel distance change once the housing if flipped.

2006 here same thing happened. At a meet and eat I showed it to someone and they said here let me fix it. Grabbed the lid and pushed it up to 90 degrees. Presto it was fixed. Seems scary to do it and if they had told me what they were doing I would have freaked out but the fix is actually that easy.