IGNORED

Drilling into Fender any Suggestions?

YamaDude

I've been busy on ebay looking at getting a few things for my RSTD, kind of to personalize it a bit although I must say the fellow that owned before me must have had similar tastes and hasn't left me much to do. But I love the Star Front Fender Ornament and think it would be a nice addition, the only thing is I will have to drill 2 holes in the front fender. I plan on using a new drill bit and tape the fender off where I will be drilling. Are there any other suggestions to prevent any paint chipping etc from occurring or anything else I need to concern myself with?

Yea, put a block of wood under where you drill or you just might drill into your tire. Tape idea is good. Make sure your holes are lined up perfectly. Centerpunching them is a good idea too. You dont get a second chance. I prefer to use a step drill bit when drilling into sheet metal.

I've been busy on ebay looking at getting a few things for my RSTD, kind of to personalize it a bit although I must say the fellow that owned before me must have had similar tastes and hasn't left me much to do. But I love the Star Front Fender Ornament and think it would be a nice addition, the only thing is I will have to drill 2 holes in the front fender. I plan on using a new drill bit and tape the fender off where I will be drilling. Are there any other suggestions to prevent any paint chipping etc from occurring or anything else I need to concern myself with?

You actually live in Essex? I'm about 20 minutes away, in A'burg. Not a lot of our bikes around this area. Gary N. and Ibents are very close as well. How long have you owned your bike? Do you go to the Rock in Essex on Thursday nights? Great food, tons of bikes and great people. Riding today? The weather is going to be just great!!! I'll keep my eyes open for a white royal star, we'll have to grab a coffee one of these days.

gunk:big-grin-emoticon:

George, I installed one of those on my Roady a few years back. After drilling the holes I put a little black rust paint in the hole to help seal the paint edge a bit. Masking tape on the fender before you drill for sure. I have a spring loaded centre punch that worked well. Be careful using a hammer and punch.

don't drill,glue,GOOP AMAZING,every thing on my bike is glued,can still get it off,with gas,even after a year or so

Yea, put a block of wood under where you drill or you just might drill into your tire. Tape idea is good. Make sure your holes are lined up perfectly. Centerpunching them is a good idea too. You dont get a second chance. I prefer to use a step drill bit when drilling into sheet metal.

if you must make a hole,use a solding pincal,no crank,hole is stronger

Yes on what Ruffy said, use a step drill on sheet metal, unless it is a very small hole size, a regular twist drill will leave a very ugly hole and may even bend the fender when (not if) it catches as it breaks thru. Be sure to deburr the back side of the hole.

As Gary mentioned use a spring loaded center punch, much easier and safer for the fender than a hammer, and seal the edges of the hole to prevent rust from starting on the raw metal edge.

Thanks for some great tips. I'm not sure if I will be getting any instructions with my eBay purchased ornament so if someone has a chance to measure how far back the front of the ornament is from the tip of the fender I would appreciate it.

Gary N I do have a spring loaded punch, they work great. I will use very light spring pressure at first and see what it does.

hey gunkylump I live on county road 18 kinda in between Harrow and Essex. I'm not familiar with the "Rock" maybe you can send a few details. We will have to set up a meet and great. I bought the bike at Thunder Road about a week ago.

• 2 weeks later...