IGNORED

Info on making spare key

Went to a locksmith Friday and had a spare key made. He gave me some info that I didn't find on here. If its already been posted, sorry.

On your original key there is a number.

He said to write it down on the registration and on a piece of paper in your wallet.

He told me that any good locksmith can cut you a key using that number if you happen to lose your key and need one in a emergancy.

I know that most of us carry a hidden key, but I thought this info was good to know. I guess you really do learn something everyday.:Laugh:

When trying to have a spare made for the '83 I couldn't find anyone local that had the blank in stock. And FYI there are 7 different blanks for the 1stGens, and they are all used in each model year. The letter in front of the code designates the blank and they run from A to G.

I had 2 keys for my 83, one long one worked in some locks and a short one worked in the others. I broke the short one last Tuesday. Went to locksmith and found out I had a Datson key that had been filed down to work and a honda key. Locksmith looked up my bike on computer and made me 1 key that fits all the lock and IGN. It's an ilco blank #YH49

I had a spare set made last year. Instead of duplicating my original keys, which are a little worn, the LS looked it up on the computer and made the keys from that. He gave me the numbers in case I ever need to get more made. I have three keys... somewhere along the way (before me), one of the helmet locks was replaced, and it isn't keyed the same as the other lock and rest of the luggage.

There cant be that many different key cuts to these bikes. With all the spare parts laying around it would be nice to find a way to determine if someone's key will fit a helmet lock of luggage lock. They way many of us can get rid of the "I have 8 keys to my bike, no none are spares" syndrome we seem to have going.

I've got actually 4 keys to my bike. Ign and it opens the helmets and luggage. and a separate key to remove each piece from the frame. I'd LOVE to have all keyed the same.

There cant be that many different key cuts to these bikes. With all the spare parts laying around it would be nice to find a way to determine if someone's key will fit a helmet lock of luggage lock. They way many of us can get rid of the "I have 8 keys to my bike, no none are spares" syndrome we seem to have going.

I've got actually 4 keys to my bike. Ign and it opens the helmets and luggage. and a separate key to remove each piece from the frame. I'd LOVE to have all keyed the same.

Any locksmith in the world should have no problem resetting the pins to be the same as the ignition. I've changed my own on a number of locks.

Dick

When trying to have a spare made for the '83 I couldn't find anyone local that had the blank in stock. And FYI there are 7 different blanks for the 1stGens, and they are all used in each model year. The letter in front of the code designates the blank and they run from A to G.

I looked at my original and there were six numbers but NO letter in front. I am missing a helmet lock. If I bought one could it be rekeyed to fit the original key that I already have?

Iowa Guy

If you lose her you buy another motocycle to ease your sorrow.

I had a spare made for the wife, she nevers looses it! As long as I got her with me, that is! Now,,,, what happens if I lose her??????????

Parkway Hardware in West Chester, PA made keys for my bikes a number of years ago. '84 Venture Royale, '80 Kawasaki 550 LTD, '84 Yamaha Maxim 550 and just recently a Polaris Trail Boss 325. The Polaris takes a Datsun key, by the way.

Can a guy still get the original blanks? I got a spare a couple years ago, but it was an ugly, new, plain blank. I'm guessing that if we can, their expensive?

I looked at my original and there were six numbers but NO letter in front. I am missing a helmet lock. If I bought one could it be rekeyed to fit the original key that I already have?

Iowa Guy

I have a couple of original keys and one has a letter and one does not. The blanks are mirrors of ieach other. I don't know what that means, but here's a website that may be able to help. http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/ I just had John cut a key for the '90 from the code on the back of the ignition switch. I hoped I could see it with a mirror, but no such luck. Had to remove the switch. PITA. The key was pricey, but it did work and now I can get fuel in the tank and try to start it.... :)