IGNORED

michelin or avon

Caveman

Ok guy's I'm torn and need your help. Should I go with the michelin or the avon. I,m semi aggressive, commute 100 miles on work day's and ride two-up occaissionally on trips. I weigh 175 and my bride a meager 110 soaking-wet. I want traction and miles. Is that asking too much?:sign67:

I've had both and choose the Avons over the Commanders after I wore them for a while. The Commanders are a noisy tire in the curves. They are noisy brand new so I knew it wasn't the bike. I have tried everything but Pirelli's and keep coming back to the Avon's. But like most things tires are a matter of personal choice.

Good choice. I wrote a post on this subject in another forum. Avon Venom X are superb.

It,s unanimous, the avon's are on order. I actually did examine the darkside and chickened-out there flb-78. Maybe next time. First i,m gonna eat-up some avon venom's.

I know you already ordered tires and I'm not trying to change your mind just giving some information on the other choice for future reference. I too commute to work daily 100 miles round trip, year round. I have put 59,000 miles on my bike since buying it 2 1/2 years ago. It had 40,000 on it when I bought it. I am on my 4th rear tire and 3rd front which were put on a couple months ago.

I average 18,000 on my Michelin rear tire and 27,000 on my front tire and I weigh more than both of you two combined. For me the Avon Venom didn't have the profile I liked and it was harder to lean the bike into the turns. As far as the noise goes, it has been my experience that if you keep the proper air in them they don't get noisy until they start to wear out or get low on air pressure. The Commanders have been the only brand of tire that I have used that hold air pressure the longest. I check my tires once a week and I only have to put air in them every 4 to 6 weeks.

But as stated in an earlier post, tires are a matter of personal choice.

I may try the Elite III's in the future since they are just about the only tires I haven't tried on an RSV yet.

BTW I have tried on my previous RSV, Bridgestones, Dunlop, Continental, Avon, and Metzlers. None lasted more than 8,000 miles on the rear. My first set of Commanders still had half the tread on them after 10,000 when I sold the bike. My current RSV had Avon Venoms with 4,000 miles on them when I bought it. After a week of riding (about 700 miles) I ordered a new set of Commanders. I hated the feel of the tire.

I'm sure you will like the Avons but the Commanders are good also. I was leaning strong towards the Avons until some people started to have problems with them. Maybe you won't. I went with the Commanders because of Michelin's reputation. I have their tires on my cagers and they have been great.

My last set of tires were Commanders. My current set is Venoms with a size drop on the front. I have found both Michelin and Avon to be great tires. I will give a slight edge in handling to the Avons, but in fairness that could be due to dropping a tire size on the front with the Venoms. I would not hesitate to buy either set again as they are both good tires. I will probably look at Avon Venoms again when it it time to replace the current set just for the ability of keeping the smaller front tire. However, I would not pay more than $25-$35 for a set of Avons over the commanders. My experience is that they are fairly even in quality, wear, and handling and neither is a wrong choice. It will come down to your personal preference and the only way to truly know it to try both sets over time.

I am soon to replace my Avon Venom MT90HB-16 Front tire: it is at 16,000 miles. I really like how my bike handles, but it is only my second (the horrible original Brickstone being the other) front tire. Should I try an alternate, or stick with the one I like?

Dave

Yessiree!! I have had 2 Metzlers fall apart on me. I'm lucky the last one made it home. I was hauling butt pretty good and noticed a chunk of the tread missing the next day. the first one disintegrated on the way to work, but did it gently.

Ok guy's I'm torn and need your help. Should I go with the michelin or the avon. I,m semi aggressive, commute 100 miles on work day's and ride two-up occaissionally on trips. I weigh 175 and my bride a meager 110 soaking-wet. I want traction and miles. Is that asking too much?:sign67:

Carl, I put the Venoms on the 08 RSV lastmonth. Only got 8k out of the brickstones. Went to San Antonio for the Shriners Convention over the 4th and the new shoes were put to the test. Quiet, smooth and handled great. I dismounted the wheels myself and took them to the Suzuki Dealer over on Beauvoir. He's good and he's reasonable.

I live out here in Lizana off of 53. If you have problems, email me.

I am soon to replace my Avon Venom MT90HB-16 Front tire: it is at 16,000 miles. I really like how my bike handles, but it is only my second (the horrible original Brickstone being the other) front tire. Should I try an alternate, or stick with the one I like?

Dave

If I found a tire I really liked, I would stick with it. The only exception for me would be if I found another top tier tire (Commanders, Elites) at a good sale price, I would buy them. If you ride very much with this group, you will be buying a set of tires every year anyway. So you will have plenty of opportunity to try the other brands also. For me personally, I would only consider Avons, Commanders, or Elites. Other people may have a different opinions,but that is my experience. My preference order, with prices being equivalent , is Avon, Commanders, Elites. If I could save $50 or more on any of those three, I would go with the one on sale. Just my $.02.

so far you 3 are the only "bad" I've heard about Metz's I've had them on two bike's Worn out 2 sets and traded the bike w/ a new set and I have them on my rstd, not one problem and getting good wear I comute 80 miles a day all interstate sorry you guy's have bad luck

I'm running E3s and am very pleased with wet and dry handling, noise level and wear. I think you're limiting yourself if you don't at least give them consideration. :2cents:

Same for me, shop around and you will find a good price.

Some places to look.

https://www.americanmototire.com

http://www.denniskirk.com

http://www.ronayers.com

http://arizonamoto.com

The next time around I'm going to try Mitchellin's. I've been running Venom's and really like the handling and performance, but there's just been too many guys, on this board, who have experienced sidewall cracking for me to have a whole lot of confidence in them any longer. After going round and round with the Avon powers to be, and them telling me the failure level is very low.... from what I've seen on this board it's not.... I think it's time to make a switch. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.... ya gotta duck. :whistling:

I like the Avons and wouldn't use anything else, with the trike conversion now I only have to buy the front one now. I've been through 3 rear Avons with no trouble and 14k on the first 2, the third is in my parts pile from the conversion. From what I have read the few problems with Avons the manufacturer has made good on problems, Metzler on the other hand have far more complaints and seems fewer happy endings dealing with the manufacturer. Everyone seems to be pretty passionate about thier favorite tire so find one you like. Just my .02 worth.