IGNORED

Do you hit the kill switch inadvertently ?

VentureFar

I can't believe how many times I hit the kill switch unintentionally on my Iron Butt yesterday. I was thinking about wiring around it since the only time I hit it was at the wrong time. It seems to be too close ( meaning way too close) to the throttle. Just taking my hand off, especially in the dark and putting it back on the throttle - even during the day like after fixing my glasses- must have done it 5x in 21 hours.

What about you?

VentureFar....

As far as I can remember, I don't think I've ever killed it accidentally. I use that switch to stop the bike all the time, tho, so maybe I subconsciously know it's there and don't hit it, even while wearing thick gloves. Now the hi-beam switch, I'm hitting that all the time.

-Andrew

I have never hit the kill switch during any normal activity. I have accidentally hit it while doing other work on the bike like cleaning or pushing the bike around or other maintenance, and it then was the reason for the next no start. If the bike ever does not start that is the very first place I check for the problem, after all it is both the easiest, fastest and cheapest possible fix.

I have to ask, do you grip the bar that close to the switch assy that you can accidentally hit it?

Just from looking at its location and how I grip the bars, I can not see how I could ever accidentally hit it while riding.:confused24:

I'm guessing you have relatively small hands and hold the grips right next to the controls as this is where the levers are closest.

I have never accidentally hit the kill switch while riding. However, if you want some fun, pull in the clutch and turn off the kill switch while running at a good clip. Twist the throttle a couple of times, turn the KS back on, and pop the clutch.

Hope your brakes work since you will be pulling to the side to go back and pick up the insides of your mufflers. :smile5:

Big boom.

RR

I have never hit the kill switch during any normal activity. I have accidentally hit it while doing other work on the bike like cleaning or pushing the bike around or other maintenance, and it then was the reason for the next no start. If the bike ever does not start that is the very first place I check for the problem, after all it is both the easiest, fastest and cheapest possible fix.

I have to ask, do you grip the bar that close to the switch assy that you can accidentally hit it?

Just from looking at its location and how I grip the bars, I can not see how I could ever accidentally hit it while riding.:confused24:

I use a "throttle rocker" / cramp buster and that does crowd my hand against the inside surface. But I hit the switch when my hand is RETURNING to the throttle from being away from it. ie - scratch my nose, fix my glasses, grab onto the right pillion hold bar and twist my back to the right then return and hit the switch when putting my hand BACK on the throttle. Guess I am just a clutz.

I have put several long distance miles on since I got it in March -

So I am on it fidgeting around a lot. Did my Iron Butt 1000 Saturday was on the bike 19 of 21 hours - a lot of time to 'fidget'.

VentureFar....

I put some foam grip covers on and it makes it a lot easier to grab, use or try to use the cruise on the open road. Try getting in the habit of using the kill switch to stop and turning it on when u want to start ir. that will build mucle memory.

I put some foam grip covers on and it makes it a lot easier to grab, use or try to use the cruise on the open road. Try getting in the habit of using the kill switch to stop and turning it on when u want to start ir. that will build mucle memory.

Actually I do use the kill switch 100 percent for on and off. Guess it will just take time to stop doing it on accident. I have put 5000 miles on the bike since March when I got it but most of those miles area tank full to tank full, literally. No local commuting for me. This is my go somewhere on Saturday transportation.

I intentionally use the kill switch most of the time. BUT_ I sometimes bump it off by accident. SO_ I am planning to grind a little bit off the end of the end of the red switch knob. Should still be usable but hopefully not bumpable.

Mike

I intentionally use the kill switch most of the time. BUT_ I sometimes bump it off by accident. SO_ I am planning to grind a little bit off the end of the end of the red switch knob. Should still be usable but hopefully not bumpable.

Mike

hmmm - good idea.:lightbulb: Mine goes right to the edge. I am not sure if I am just catching that tip or hitting it in the middle but my suspicion is YOU have the answer!

Thanks

VentureFar....

No,,,,,,, But I have HONKED the START button!!! :whistling:

Maybe even STARTED the HONK button! That one gets attention, hard to look cool, especially the second time you try it.

Also,,,,

After I rode my RSTD for years,, when I picked up my RSV I thought I put on the cruise. Didn't work.

Finally, my wife who was following me in the car pulled me over and said,,,

"Why you got your hazzard lights on???"

(Got to know both bikes to LOL on that one.)

Edited by Mike G in SC

I have been riding my 96 for over 14 years and don't have that problem, guess the old girl is part of me now. I am to the point now, since I do all my own service and repairs that anything out of the ordinary kinda sticks out. I know the feel of all the controls and where they are.

Someone did that during our motorcycle ride benefitting Camp Smile A Mile this past weekend. They were in the middle of 30+ bikes. We were all spaced pretty good and staggered so they quickly moved to a left turn decel lane.

I've never done it. I've hit the horn when meaning to start. I usually hit the signal cancel button instead of the horn when riding. I hate that because I love the sound of my 138 decibel horn.

Someone did that during our motorcycle ride benefitting Camp Smile A Mile this past weekend. They were in the middle of 30+ bikes. We were all spaced pretty good and staggered so they quickly moved to a left turn decel lane.

I've never done it. I've hit the horn when meaning to start. I usually hit the signal cancel button instead of the horn when riding. I hate that because I love the sound of my 138 decibel horn.

Which horn is 138db?

VentureFar...

• 2 months later...

Ok I took my Dremel and cut the knob on the kill switch so it no longer hangs over the grip. I put a piece of tape under the plastic knob to protect the shinny stuff. Then used a cutting wheel and Dremel to wack off about 1/4 inch of the red plastic knob. It is not hollow but there was a small pinhole which I have so far ignored. I will eventually seal it with some glue or epoxy. I used a fine file to smooth the edges. Presto, no more accidental bumping the switch. It is still easy to flick off and on with my thumb or forefinger. The whole process took less than fifteen minutes.

Mike