So i tried looking around and didn't come up with much, what options are out there for exhaust? I would prefer slipons but would not be opposed to modifying the stock exhaust if there are not better options. I just want to get some sound out of it, not too much but that v4 should sound great with the right set of pipes!!!

Search this site on RK mufflers and stock pipes for cheap mods.

Here is a recent thread about moding stock pipes.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41418&highlight=stock+pipes

There appears to be various methods depending on 1st or 2nd Gen and preference.

I am about to attempt it myself on my 07RSTD using the method Footsie described in that thread.

Can't speak to slip-ons but there are many discussions on that also.

This is what I have on my 07 Venture

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-MUFFLER-PIPE-TAKEN-OFF-ROAD-KING-/170113821674?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item279b92ebea#ht_1132wt_1145

I believe any RK muff ending with part # 98 -98A or 95 - 95A will work. I drilled out the 'frost' plug in the front and back. For less than $100 you can play till your hearts content.

• 2 months later...
Guest tx2sturgis

I bought a set of Bubs and I'm happy with them. They are about as loud as a stock muffler thats been drilled out, but not as loud as a stock muffler thats been opened up completely.

The sound is reasonably deep, but you can still easily hear the stereo on the Venture. The Bubs are a few pounds lighter than the stock Yamaha mufflers AND stock HD mufflers, if that matters to you.

The Bubs have an issue with the chrome plating on the billet endcaps flaking after awhile, caused by the metal expanding when heating. I have seen some members pics of the Bubs after they have the tips powder coated black, and they look really sharp.

Mine have started to get a bit flaky on the chrome tips, but it just doesn't bother me much. They look a bit 'old school' that way, and like an old recliner with some flaws, they look 'lived in'...others might not like them that way.

Dingy,

How did you cut out the parts - what tools did you use?

Thanks,

Doug

I cutoff the extension at the seam first.

Drilled a 1/2" hole towards outer edge of rearward baffle. Then I used a Dewalt reciprocating saw to cut out around the rear baffle.

Middle baffle is spot welded in. I used a long chisel to break it out.

I left the front baffle in.

Attached is another picture of mid baffle.

Click below for a sound clip. Taken from about 5 feet behind bike.

[ATTACH]49343[/ATTACH]

Gary

Edited by dingy
added sound clip

Thanks, Dingy - How about the backpressure that's left - how does the bike ride/feel? Did it open up the exhaust enough to gain you some descent power? Did you lose any low end, have to re-jet? How does it sound on the freeway - to you and to others driving around you? Is it loud enough that neighbors would be ticked off if you consistently left home between 4 & 5 AM? Do you think it would a be comparable change to MAC or other slip-ons?

I'm having a hard time justifying the funds for aftermarket pipes - if I do get some, my wife will kill me. It's easier to come up with time than the money.

Thanks,

Doug

Thanks, Dingy - How about the backpressure that's left - how does the bike ride/feel? Did it open up the exhaust enough to gain you some descent power? Did you lose any low end, have to re-jet? How does it sound on the freeway - to you and to others driving around you? Is it loud enough that neighbors would be ticked off if you consistently left home between 4 & 5 AM? Do you think it would a be comparable change to MAC or other slip-ons?

I'm having a hard time justifying the funds for aftermarket pipes - if I do get some, my wife will kill me. It's easier to come up with time than the money.

Thanks,

Doug

Actually, reducing the back pressure was the reason I opened the mufflers up. It just didn't seem to make sense to have a 3" dia. piston (7.068 sq in) exhausting through two 1" dia. holes (1.570 sq in)

I have never had a real loud bike, I didn't like them. This is without a doubt the loudest I have ever had. I still have a somewhat stock set of mufflers that were on the bike before I rebuilt it. Much mellower. Most of the guys I ride with have HD's. This is quieter than any of them. It is not nearly as loud as any number of HD's I have seen. It is fairly reasonable at low rpm's.

The audio clip above was taken very close and inside a garage.

The mufflers are the smallest point for flow in the exhaust system. I have added Vmax heads & cams and did this in an effort to improve the flow through the system.

The carbs were rejetted, but considering the other mods to my bike, the numbers would be meaningless to a stock venture.

As far as the neighbors, there are some people that will always be unhappy, but if you don't hit 6,000 rpm on the way out the drive, they will still be unhappy.

Gary

Edited by dingy
added sq in of piston & muffler openings

Thanks,

Doug

Don't think you'll ever have that problem. I called MAC a couple of days ago and even though they have 1stGens on the website they aren't building anything for stock. So it's just if they get an order for 10 or more... and after the hastle I went through on the last group buy I wouldn't touch it again....ever... 1 year from the order date until delivery. Jardine doesn't even have them in their catalog any longer. So it's 'drill baby drill' from now on.

One of our members installed a set of glass packs on his a couple of years back. Sounded good, but didn't look that great. Maybe some industrious member will install a set of Road Kings on a 1stGen?? They'll take some yankee ingenuity to get them attached to the collector and maybe a bracket like they use on the 2ndGen's to mount them, but I bet it could be done??

Ok now you can put Road kings on your first gen. I put them on mine. I used a 1 3/4 pipe I had bent at the local muffler shop . Two 1 3/4 clamps from the muffler shop and a set of buckeye perfomance clamps for the hd mods( found on ebay for 34 bucks or so) . I put high heat copper rtv sealant inside the 1 3/4 pipe on the collector side and the buckeye perfomance clamps on the muffler side with no sealant. The mufflers bolted up to my trailer hitch but there are a few who have made their own brackets to mount it to the lower bag bolts. Mother and cimack77 are the ones who come to mind.

David

Don't think you'll ever have that problem. I called MAC a couple of days ago and even though they have 1stGens on the website they aren't building anything for stock. So it's just if they get an order for 10 or more... and after the hastle I went through on the last group buy I wouldn't touch it again....ever... 1 year from the order date until delivery. Jardine doesn't even have them in their catalog any longer. So it's 'drill baby drill' from now on.

One of our members installed a set of glass packs on his a couple of years back. Sounded good, but didn't look that great. Maybe some industrious member will install a set of Road Kings on a 1stGen?? They'll take some yankee ingenuity to get them attached to the collector and maybe a bracket like they use on the 2ndGen's to mount them, but I bet it could be done??

Yankee ingenuity huh...I be a sothern redneck, but I think mine came out pretty good..............HAHAHAHAHA

And it only cost me about $80.00 dollars including the mufflers. The most expensive part was the buckeye clamps but well worht it as they fit like a glove and now if I chose I can use any slip-ons that will fit a HD dresser.

David

Yankee ingenuity huh...I be a sothern redneck, but I think mine came out pretty good..............HAHAHAHAHA

And it only cost me about $80.00 dollars including the mufflers. The most expensive part was the buckeye clamps but well worht it as they fit like a glove and now if I chose I can use any slip-ons that will fit a HD dresser.

David

Could you take a pics or 2 when you have time, i am curious how they look on a G1 scoot.

Brian

Ok now you can put Road kings on your first gen. I put them on mine. I used a 1 3/4 pipe I had bent at the local muffler shop . Two 1 3/4 clamps from the muffler shop and a set of buckeye perfomance clamps for the hd mods( found on ebay for 34 bucks or so) . I put high heat copper rtv sealant inside the 1 3/4 pipe on the collector side and the buckeye perfomance clamps on the muffler side with no sealant. The mufflers bolted up to my trailer hitch but there are a few who have made their own brackets to mount it to the lower bag bolts. Mother and cimack77 are the ones who come to mind.

David

Hello David,

is there a part number for the buckeye performance clamps? What is the HD Mod? Any chance you have the specs from the muffler shop of how long and at what angle the bend was on custom made piper?

As for the pipe Im not sure of the angle or lenght. What I did was ride the bike up to the muffler shop and we bent the 1 3/4 to the aproximate angle, then I laid on the floor while the mechanic told me if it was straight or not. I held the pipe to the angle that it would come out of the colector and we made gradual bends until it was straight. I think it was somewhere between 16 to 20 degree bend as I remember and adjust from there. We left the pipe long on each end and I used a metal blade in a chopsaw to cut the lenghts as needed to put it on as without taking the originals of we couldnt tell for sure. I just pulled my paper work and the calmps were $36 plus shipping,$10 for the pipes and 7 dollars for the stock clamps. 6 dollars for the atv sealor. This is the set i used for clamps.

Item number:350375777867

less than $60 plus my time and I gave the the mechanic 420 tip for his extra time.

david

Ps the hd mod is a popular mod that a lot of peaple are doing in which they putting road kings on 2nd gens. These clamps were made specifically for that modification. Thats also why I went with the 1 3/4 pipe. you can also get it made in an 1 1/2 pipe and have the muffler side swelled to 1 3/4. I just figure I'd let it breath a little

Edited by painterman67