83 VR

After all engine and clutch trouble, took on short test ride today. First time on anything so big. Sure can feel the horses:big-grin-emoticon:

Still a little engine tuning to do, running pretty good, minor backfire in #3 (I know-seafoam)(recheck sync)

Tach indicates ~1400, digital tach indicated 940 (if set correctly??), sounds like about 900, any slower would not idle. Is tach adustable?

Biggest problem: Forks bottom out on little bumps. Came back checked air=zero, nada,zip. Pumped in about 2psi at a time and checked. At about 15psi forks shot up-spraying oil out of right fork seal. Pumped up to 18psi. 30 minutes later pressure = zero again.:( Forks still up, but pressed on frame and they fell back down.

I know nothing about MC forks, never messed with them. Help!

Suspect I am looking at complete fork rebuild. Where do I start.

Thanks for all the help so far, Dingy, Rocket, Squeeze, MiCarl and many others

Brian

Yep...you are certainly looking at some fork work. You gotta remember. Those springs are almost 30 years old. They have outlived their life by far. Most of the members here end up putting Progressive springs in the front. Do a search for "Progressive" and you'll find lots of into on them. Sounds like new fork seals are needed also.

Here is a great article put together by Condor on installing the Progressive springs.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=505

and here is one by Fred Vogt with more pictures added by George S on replacing the seals.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=496

Freebird thanks for links,

Alright, talked me into it. :Avatars_Gee_George:Progressives

I recon my best bet is complete rebuild

-complete fork seal and bushing kit

-progressive kit

-fork brace?

Now, where do I get parts?

Touch base with Rick at Buckeye Performance. I got everything I needed there (except the fork brace) for about $125.00. Make sure to use the OEM fork seals! There have been a lot of problems with aftermarket seals that are incorrect specs for size.

http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/

Check the classified here for Condors listing for a brace that he had made. A lot of us bought them a while back and they do the same job at the high dollar ones out there for a lot less money.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2158&title=first-generaltion-fork-brace&cat=6

When I bought my bike the front end was a mess. Wobble, bottom out on any bump, dive until it hit when I pulled the front brake and squirt oil every chance it got. Did the full rebuild, Progressives, CondorBrace and new Venom X's. Ended up disconnecting the anti dives as with the new springs.........well it just didn't dive anymore.

Any money you spend on suspension and tires is an investment in your own safety. You wanna keep that rubber glued to the ground. Let's just say I'm not all that uh, gentle of a rider. LOL! I like to know that the front wheel is going where I want it to. Everytime.

Mike

Freebird thanks for links,

Alright, talked me into it. :Avatars_Gee_George:Progressives

I recon my best bet is complete rebuild

-complete fork seal and bushing kit

-progressive kit

-fork brace?

Now, where do I get parts?

Drop me a PM when you get ready for the fork brace...

Why are you replacing the fork brace what is wrong with the factory one?

They are not heavy enough for these bikes. Or stiff enough if you want to think of it that way. Just that they flex too easy and will cause shake in front end.

Why are you replacing the fork brace what is wrong with the factory one?

Not sure what I need to be replacing to correct my problems, see first post.

Skydoc17 sending me progressive springs, Thanks skydoc and good luck with surgery

Read some posts and looks like I need to replace dust seal and oil seal, then it gets confusing. metal slide/bushing? wavy washer/spring valve?

What about the air leak, do I likely need o-rings replaced at airjoint.

Been thinking, Ya, I know it dangerous, air up again and soap test before I disassemble

pic attached of parts. full item description at http://www.yamahapartsdepot.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=198921&category=motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=1983&fveh=4522

Looking for someone to hold my hand and tell me which #s I need to order

Buckeye quoted me $180 fork kit, but seems high as I added about $110 from parts depot items 4,5,6,25,26. am I missing something?

Ok, I'll try to help here.

#4 Oil seals for sure.

#5 Metal slider.....if you have a lot of miles the slider is a must. If any side play is evident I'd replace them. You might be able to get by. Cheap insurance to replace them while you are in there. They hold the upper tube to center and align it with the seals.

#6 Dust cover. Probably get by reusing the old ones unless they are damaged. The only purpose is to wipe the upper tube and keep grit from getting to the seal.

# 25 Washer. Yep.

#26 Wave washer. Need (4) Yep. The old ones will be crushed and do not reuse them.

If you are have pressure loss on the C.L.A.S.S. system o-rings #80 would be good. If no loss reuse them. There is a groove on the top of the upper fork for the retaining spring clip so you will need to wrap the area with electrcial tape to protect the o-rings when reinstalling.

Ok, I'll try to help here.

#4 Oil seals for sure.

#5 Metal slider.....if you have a lot of miles the slider is a must. If any side play is evident I'd replace them. You might be able to get by. Cheap insurance to replace them while you are in there. They hold the upper tube to center and align it with the seals.

#6 Dust cover. Probably get by reusing the old ones unless they are damaged. The only purpose is to wipe the upper tube and keep grit from getting to the seal.

# 25 Washer. Yep.

#26 Wave washer. Need (4) Yep. The old ones will be crushed and do not reuse them.

If you are have pressure loss on the C.L.A.S.S. system o-rings #80 would be good. If no loss reuse them. There is a groove on the top of the upper fork for the retaining spring clip so you will need to wrap the area with electrcial tape to protect the o-rings when reinstalling.

Also, if doing the lower bushings, do the ones on the upper tubes as well (listed seperately on diagrams for later years) these bushings are the same 83 -93.

Yamaha #3JJ-23171-00-00

Race Tech info included, for comparing Mk1 & Mk2 parts.

Rocket,

what item # are these bushings, nothing in my diagram is called a bushing or has part#Yamaha #3JJ-23171-00-00

Part of the problem I am having understanding other fork posts

Rocket,

what item # are these bushings, nothing in my diagram is called a bushing or has part#Yamaha #3JJ-23171-00-00

Part of the problem I am having understanding other fork posts

Look at item #36, on the 1985 XV 1200D. For 83 & 84, it was only listed as part of the fork tube (look at the bottom end of the upper tube & you will see it). It sometimes helps, to do some cross referencing, with these bikes.

Remember with Yamaha, the bushings are listed as 1 each (not a pair). So you will need to order 2 of each bushing, to do both fork legs.

Edited by Rocket

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at 88 parts list in link Dingy provided, item numbers do not appear to match up with diagram, but all parts numbers look to be the same as what I used on my 83. I ordered from parts list on 85, to include bushings not listed on 83 list. My link of fork rebuild pics includes parts listed I ordered.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49226.

If you can't read it let me know and I will got get my paper and type in here.

I also got the progressive springs from skydoc17.

I think you are safe to use the same parts I ordered, If anyone knows different, please chime in.

PS, it took 1-1/2 week for parts from partshark.com. Skydoc was 2 days:)

:080402gudl_prv:

Partshark takes so long because they have to order the parts from Yamaha, and then send them to you. I kinda got into it with them over that, as my parts took two weeks to get.

So, why not just order from Yamaha yourself?

Thanks to EVERYONE for all the help. Even my little brain thinks it has it figured out now :fingers-crossed-emo

Looks like there are 2 on each side, would that be 4 total?

Thanks!