I'm going to order Progressive Springs for the front end on my '83 VR. I noticed that there are different weights of springs, so I'm not sure which to order. I'm a big guy and often ride two up, so I'm assuming that I should get the heaviest that I can get. Any recommendations?

I'm going to order Progressive Springs for the front end on my '83 VR. I noticed that there are different weights of springs, so I'm not sure which to order. I'm a big guy and often ride two up, so I'm assuming that I should get the heaviest that I can get. Any recommendations?

First I heard of that?? I thought there was just one Progressive Part Number, for the Ventures. But ?????

If you are getting the Progressive Suspenson springs, their part # is 11-1112 & that is for all 1st gens. Some members run without any air in the front, after installation, I had installed Friesman1's without the preload spacers, so his new taller windshield will clear his "garage" opening & he still was not using air in the forks, as of last weekend.

If you are getting the Progressive Suspenson springs, their part # is 11-1112 & that is for all 1st gens. Some members run without any air in the front, after installation, I had installed Friesman1's without the preload spacers, so his new taller windshield will clear his "garage" opening & he still was not using air in the forks, as of last weekend.

Thanks,

I thought that was the part number, but wasn't sure. I've located them at Mawonline.com for $65.95

Thanks

First I heard of that?? I thought there was just one Progressive Part Number, for the Ventures. But ?????

Yeah, I was off a bit on where I was looking and made the assumption that it applied to my bike. Thanks!

I put progressives in my 89 about a month ago, still not sure if I like them or not,feel pretty stiff even running with 0 air. Sure did raise the front end up though, and making it hard on this short guy to reach the ground!!!

When Rocket put the new progressives in mine over the winter, he didnt include the preload spacers as we agreed it would make the bike too high for me to ride because of the saddlemens seat on it, and because I needed to get the scoot into my trailer at night and the xxxl clearview windhield might not clear the door at top.

The progressives without the spacers still raise me up about an inch with me on it (about 300lbs) and it never bottoms out even with out any air in the forks. the improvement in the ride is amazing!!! its a great improvement!!!!!!

Brian

This all sounds very good. I took my bike out for a ride the other day after doing quite a bit of work on all parts of the bike, and I had forgotten how bad the thing was bottoming out. I am around 290#'s and 6'5'' so the extra height might not bother me. But by leaving the spacer out it should be pretty easy getting the plugs in. With the old springs, the plugs went in with hardly any effort at all. Is it hard to get the plugs in with the progressive springs with the spacer?

But by leaving the spacer out it should be pretty easy getting the plugs in. With the old springs, the plugs went in with hardly any effort at all. Is it hard to get the plugs in with the progressive springs with the spacer?

With the spacer in, yes, it is basically a 2 person job to get that last bit of downward pressure needed. This is with me standing on the foot pegs & pressing down on a 1/2" drive "speed handle" attached to the 17mm allen head socket. Without the spacer, it is very easy to do it solo.

I was surprised that I didn't have much difficulty with my spacers. I jacked the bike up from under the engine, so the forks were on full extenstion.

That's how I plan on swapping my springs when they show up.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you guys all change the oil at the same time you changed the springs? You don't have to remove the whole fork right just the top caps? My bottoms out too and the air pump won't pump the front fork anyway. I have a bike jackd and it seems that elevating the front wheel to fully extend the fork makes it easier is that right?

I was going to have Progressive do it at Americade but ran low on money.

Did you guys all change the oil at the same time you changed the springs? You don't have to remove the whole fork right just the top caps? My bottoms out too and the air pump won't pump the front fork anyway. I have a bike jackd and it seems that elevating the front wheel to fully extend the fork makes it easier is that right?

I replaced the fork oil when I swapped out the springs, though I put in 1 oz less in each fork due to more of the displacement made by the bigger Progressive spring. You do not have to remove the forks. Go to the tech library and follow the steps to do this, it's pretty straight forward. Remember to jack up and support the front of the bike, getting the front tire off of the ground, or when you pull out the top plugs, you will be making full use of your vocabulary.

You've got the right idea.

There are drain screws on the bottoms of the fork legs.

If you don't have easy access to fork oil, or don't want to spend the $ you can use transmission fluid. The springs be such an improvement that I think any differences in oils would be minscule.