IGNORED

RSV to Road Glide Comparisons

Freebird

I will add to this over the next few weeks as I put some miles on the new Road Glide Ultra but here are a few initial thoughts.

The stereo on the Road Glide is far superior to the RSV. The 20 watt Harmon Kardon system and larger speakers really sound great. Can't comment on listening through headsets yet because I have to get new lower cords before I can try them.

Suspension and handling is excellent. I think it may have a slight edge on the RSV. Not by much though. It just feels extremely stable in what little bit of wind I have experienced and feels very well planted in the curves. I have let go of the handle bars and feel that I could ride for miles that way. The RSV was stable in that regard to though. Also, I just put the YSS rear shock on the RSV and really haven't given it a good test. With the YSS shock and the Sonic Springs that I have in the front, handling is probably pretty close.

Engine performance. Defiantly a different animal. The Harley has that great low end torque and I have always liked that. We all know that they aren't sport bikes but this 103 CU engine puts out enough power to bring a smile. No doubt in my mind that it would not run keep up with my RSV. Especially with the VMAX rear end and Dyna that I have installed. I'm not into racing though and am pleased with the performance so far. So I guess if you have to grade them from a "racing" standpoint, the RSV would win. This Road Glide has the 103 CU IN engine and for those who don't want to do the math, that is about 1690 CC.

Comfort. With the added backrest and highway pegs on both bikes. I think that they are pretty equal. I really won't know for sure until the Galena trip though. One thing that I'm fairly certain of is that I will probably be changing the handlebars in the near future. I have long arms and still find myself leaning forward more that I like. I've already been reading up on it and this is a common issue. I am feeling some of the same bits of pains in the shoulder as I did on the RSV before installing the Flanders bars.

Vibration. Hey...it's a Harley. When you are at a stop such as a red light, this thing shakes like crazy. It has the automatic cylinder deactivation too and I'm not sure yet but I think that changes the cadence also. Once you get moving though, it really smooths out. I'm going to say at this point though that even at highway speeds, the Venture is maybe just a very little bit smoother in regards to engine vibration. It's really insignificant though.

Heat. Yes, the Harley is hotter when you are sitting still. I was actually surprised at how much hotter. I expected some but if you sit for very long, it can get uncomfortable. I know that some people complain about the heat from the RSV but it is NOTHING like this Harley.

Luggage. I think that the Harley wins here. The trunk seems quiet a lot larger or maybe the more square shape just makes it more usable. Saddlebags I think are fairly equal. One thing I like is that the saddle bags can be removed for cleaning or whatever in literally about 10 seconds. There is also more storage for small items. 4 pockets in the upper and lower fairings. I give the edge to the Harley on luggage.

Fuel economy? Don't know yet. Haven't had to fill it up so have no idea. It has a 6 gallon tank, same as the RSV, and seems to be doing OK so far. I've only put about 130 miles on it and right now it is still sitting at around 3/4 tank but we all know that these gauges can sometimes go down much quicker as you get closer to empty. We'll see. I'm kind of expecting that it will get better fuel economy than the RSV. That will likely be offset though by the fact that they say to run 91 octane.

Transmission. I think I'm going to really like it. It is fairly quiet and shifts very smoothly. No whine or anything so far from the engine or tranny. This really lopes on the highway. It is a 6 speed and in 6th gear running 70 MPH, it is only turning about 2800 RPM.

Brakes. Verdict is still out. This bike came with the security system which includes ABS brakes and anti-theft system. I was surprised the first time I brought it to a stop that I felt the need to apply much more pressure than I'm used to on the back brake. Now maybe I didn't need to apply that much. It stopped fine but is a lot different feel. Will just have to get used to it and then decide.

I like the security system. Basically it's an automatic system. The key fob has a transmitter and once you are a few feet from the bike, it arms the system and also prevents it from starting even if the ignition is in the on position.

OK....this is all very premature considering the few miles that I've put on it but are some initial observations. Some or all may change as I get the opportunity to ride it more.

Edited by Freebird

She hasn't ridden on it yet. We planned to take a ride last night but never got around to it. She has only sat on it so far and said it felt very good but we'll have to see.

I was curious about how it compared to the RSV so actually took some measurements last night. It measures from the back of the seat to the drivers backrest very close to the same as the RSV. Maybe a half inch less depending on how you measure.

Now I've never owned a bike that I didn't end up changing the seat on. It's too early to tell if that will hold true on this one. So far, it feels good but you just don't know until you spend a few hours on the highway.

Don. with regards to the recommended 91 octane... it's the same for the Vic however, a lot of Vic owners are running with 89 and some even with 87. "they" say as long as it's not pinging, no problem. I've tried all 3 in mine and never got any pinging but have settled on using the 89 octane.

Hey Don & Eileen, Congrads on the new bike. I really like the looks and sound of our Harley, but felt that the RSV was sooo much more comfortable on longer trips. Charlene liked the RSV seating and comfort of the ride way better than our Ultra. So, I when we have the money will be looking for a heated pillow top seat. I have the 96 cu in our 2008, and it does not compair to the RSV power, but it does handle excellent, especially in slow turns. I agree with you on the storage is better with the harley, and I do like all the gauges. But, wow, that heat from the engine, man is that hot. Few friends have the True Duels and makes it alot cooler, at least on the 08, not sure on the 09 and newer with the 103. Though I really like the Harley, I truly miss the RSV. Good Luck and ride with a smile. Later-

P.S. meet a guy last week at our Ogemaw Hills Bike Week with a 07 RSV, hope he joins, will admit I was just about drewling at the bike.

Don, congratulations again on the new RoadGlide. I also found the handle bars to be uncomfortable on long rides not enough pull back. Just changed them out to match closer to what I had on my 06 RSV. Didn't like leaning forward all the time. Changed too Road King/Road Glide High Bars Part# 56180-08. They say high bar, but they are actually an 1" lower than your stock bars 9.5" versus 10.5" with 9" of pull back. They are machined for the Drive By Wire Throttle. Use existing cables and wiring just requires about 6 hours of your time.

Bill,

But, wow, that heat from the engine, man is that hot. Few friends have the True Duels and makes it alot cooler, at least on the 08, not sure on the 09 and newer with the 103.

Just wondering if the Harleys have CATs in the header pipes like the Vics do?

Wondering also if the true duals do not have CATs in them?

Was a lot of heat from that so I removed the CATs and it's quite a lot cooler. Wife doesn't feel any where near the amount of heat as with the CATs in but I can still feel the engine heat but it's not so hot that it's a problem and it's only felt in hotter temps while sitting in traffic.

I don't think you can use Harley headsets with other bikes because of a preamp but can you go the other way by just switching the lower cord?

I spoke to Ed at Edsets. All I need is the lower cords. Their 7 pin cords for the Harley have the circuit built in so my currect 3G Edsets will work on the Harley.

Don, congratulations again on the new RoadGlide. I also found the handle bars to be uncomfortable on long rides not enough pull back. Just changed them out to match closer to what I had on my 06 RSV. Didn't like leaning forward all the time. Changed too Road King/Road Glide High Bars Part# 56180-08. They say high bar, but they are actually an 1" lower than your stock bars 9.5" versus 10.5" with 9" of pull back. They are machined for the Drive By Wire Throttle. Use existing cables and wiring just requires about 6 hours of your time.

Bill,

I'll look into those bars. Somebody else suggested some other also, they were Harley Heritage bars or something. Now I have to find it and see if they are the same ones you are talking about.

Just wondering if the Harleys have CATs in the header pipes like the Vics do?

Wondering also if the true duals do not have CATs in them?

Was a lot of heat from that so I removed the CATs and it's quite a lot cooler. Wife doesn't feel any where near the amount of heat as with the CATs in but I can still feel the engine heat but it's not so hot that it's a problem and it's only felt in hotter temps while sitting in traffic.

Yes, the CATs are in the header pipe. That is why when they do a Stage One mod that they do a full exhaust and not just the mufflers. May look at that someday but not right now.

Ordered a Bushtec hitch and plug n play wiring today for the trailer. It should be waiting at home when I get back there on Thursday.

I have done the stage 1 after the first year of riding mine. Glad I did, bike runs better. I have more power and torque, plus it runs cooler.

The 103 motor's stock numbers are approximately 66 hp and around 86 ft pds. torque. After doing the stage 1 to mine, my numbers are 78.05 hp and 97.44 torque. It gives the bike quite a bit of help. I dont plan on going any further with cams etc. This is it for mine.

The Stage 1 upgrade is exhaust, air breather, and tuner. Once you do the breather and exhaust you have to retune. Most guys go to a true dual setup, and get rid of the stock pipe with the cat in it. The cat is located basically beside you right foot.......HOT. Several companies now offer a ceramic coated headpipe to help even more. Mine is not ceramic coated and the difference is huge. Some other guys cut the stock headpipe in half and gut the cat. Then they reweld it together and reuse it.

My RG Custom gets about 48 mpg on the highway, about 8 to 10 mpgs better than my RSTD did. It is much more comfy for me over my old RSTD. My son bought my RSTD from me and runs it now. It still sits in the garage beside my RG.

As far as comfort upgrades on mine, I did the luggage rack, driver backrest, and highway pegs. Just a few weeks ago I changed my seat to a HD Hammock seat (touring). My stock seat was comfortable enough, but on hard bumps, it could of used some more cushion. The RG Custom is lowered one inch in the rear vs. the Ultra and it makes a difference on the hard bumps.

So there are a few things I've noticed with mine, and now Freebird can compare and see how his will shake out. I think he made a great choice in a new bike.

Don. with regards to the recommended 91 octane... it's the same for the Vic however, a lot of Vic owners are running with 89 and some even with 87. "they" say as long as it's not pinging, no problem. I've tried all 3 in mine and never got any pinging but have settled on using the 89 octane.

I am no expert but have been doing a lot of reading about octane for the RSV. The 91 octane recommended for the RSV is 91 RON not 91 PON. If you look at that tag in the trunk you will notice those letters RON after the 91. This stands for Research Octane Number which is the octane rating tested under very specific conditions. RON is an accurate rating in Europe but for Canada and the U.S. this rating is not used at the pump. At the pump the octane translates to 87 PON (pump octane number) for a 91 RON rating. This is how I've understood it but I'm sure there are lots of folks more knowledgeable about this than me.

I like the bag setup on them. Like you said just looks more useable. And sound system is Great. If they weren't so dang slow......:whistling: With a good set of pipes that sound......:clap2: And they don't need the Bust your Eardrums things. Just need to hear them.

I'm jealous. "Brown Sugar" is 27 yrs old!!

Guest tx2sturgis

The Stage 1 upgrade is exhaust, air breather, and tuner. Once you do the breather and exhaust you have to retune. .

Stage 1 is also called the 'harley tax'...yall have seen me refer to that before...as Beege knows, it gets the bike running like it SHOULD.

As far as pinging and octane...here is the deal...run what the book says unless you have done the Stage 1, then you can vary the octane depending on the weather. Of course, they dont tell you that.

If its hot, and by hot I mean 80f and above, you should still run premium.

Milder temps, you can get away with a grade lower, and cold temps, say in the 50's and below, you could run the lowest octane, unless pulling a trailer especially in the mountains. I always ran mid or high grade...its an expensive motor under there.

Now, if pulling a trailer, or you're at higher altitudes, you should run at least mid-grade or better. Dont forget, the bike will ping a lot more in the higher gears (and lower RPM) if its going to ping, so if you hear it doing that, drop a gear. Pinging is very bad for those motors.

When in doubt about the expected conditions, load, temp etc, put premium in.

Been there done that. :happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

I spoke to Ed at Edsets. All I need is the lower cords. Their 7 pin cords for the Harley have the circuit built in so my currect 3G Edsets will work on the Harley.

I'll look into those bars. Somebody else suggested some other also, they were Harley Heritage bars or something. Now I have to find it and see if they are the same ones you are talking about.

I didn't go with the Heritage Bar it has 12" of rise too tall for my riding habits. Dealer suggested those but I like the lower Road king/ Road Glide bar at 9.5" of rise and more pull-back. I too removed the Cat. from the collector, but that's another topic. Enjoy your bike.

Bill,

I am no expert but have been doing a lot of reading about octane for the RSV. The 91 octane recommended for the RSV is 91 RON not 91 PON. If you look at that tag in the trunk you will notice those letters RON after the 91. This stands for Research Octane Number which is the octane rating tested under very specific conditions. RON is an accurate rating in Europe but for Canada and the U.S. this rating is not used at the pump. At the pump the octane translates to 87 PON (pump octane number) for a 91 RON rating. This is how I've understood it but I'm sure there are lots of folks more knowledgeable about this than me.

I haven't yet read beyond this post as I was doing my own research in my owner's manual.

The Victory manual states to use 91 PON for best performance.

Guest tx2sturgis

Suspension and handling is excellent. I think it may have a slight edge on the RSV. Not by much though.

Slight edge?

Then your brand new RG must need some adjustments. RoadGlides generally handle very well compared to the RSV..they are a bit lighter, have a better front/rear weight ratio, good tires, frame mount fairing, and the famous reversed triple trees that the FL's all have...it should handle almost like a sports bike compared to the RSV.

The RSV has a lot of things going for it, but nimble handling aint one of them. Its a large heavy bike and its cumbesome in lots of situations. But then again, we dont buy them cuz they handle well....

:happy34:

You may be right. Time will tell. I have a Corbin on the Venture and really have enjoyed it. I'm more concerned right now about the handlebars. Just not enough pullback and I KNOW I'm going to get that ice pick between the shoulders feeling. Got it on my Venture too until I installed the Flanders bars.

Actually stopped by today and tried to buy a set of bars and go ahead and change them out but they didn't have any in stock.

I did get the Bushtec hitch and the trailer wiring installed this evening. Also installed some passenger grab rails.