IGNORED

guns Canada

Sailor

I am most of the way through getting permits to own handguns. Since there is a huge resource of gun knowledge here I would be interested in any comments or advice. Right now I am considering a Smith and Wesson 357 which also shoots 38 magnum plus ammo. I would also like to get a 22 lr semi auto for plinking. Bear in mind that I will not be carrying these weapons other than to and from the shooting range so I am thinking a 6 inch barrel would be best.

I am most of the way through getting permits to own handguns. Since there is a huge resource of gun knowledge here I would be interested in any comments or advice. Right now I am considering a Smith and Wesson 357 which also shoots 38 magnum plus ammo. I would also like to get a 22 lr semi auto for plinking. Bear in mind that I will not be carrying these weapons other than to and from the shooting range so I am thinking a 6 inch barrel would be best.

The S&W wesson 357 is a GREAT gun. I have a model 19 with a 6" barrel that I bought when I lived in NJ. (carry permits are impossible to get there) Very accurate gun. I taught my son to shoot with it & he was able after a while to bullseye targets while shooting from the hip.

Now as far as the 22lr is concerned choose wisey & research heavily. I have found that many 22lr semi auto jam & have ejection issues unless you use high velosity ammo like CCI.

A GREAT target 22lr is the Ruger mark3 competition,

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/14287.jpg

This gun has flawless operation. I'm sure there are others but these I can personally vouch for.

For a .22, I also would go with a Ruger. I don't think Ruger can be beat as far as .22 pistols or rifles go. I have a MKIII Hunter. To me it is a beautiful gun and one of the best out of teh box shooters I have ever bought (of any caliber). I also have a Browning Buckmark. It is pretty close to the MKIII. I bought it because I found it used ( 1 year old) for $200. I ended up putting a threaded barrel on it and adding a suppresor to it. Now the neighbors don't complain when I shoot the skunks and foxes hiding under the cars at 3AM when I leave for work.

Link below is to a video of what I have. You mention .22 pistol, here is an alternative to semi-auto. The video is of a Stainless Steel revolver, Taurus 992 available in 4" or 6 1/2" barrel. Mine is blue, almost black, 6 1/2". A search will find lots of info on this handgun. They are hard to find, I got lucky when a local dealer just happened to get one in two days after I emailed him.

The .22LR is probably the most affordable of all ammunition. Enjoy and be safe with whatever you get. The .22WMR (magnum) ammo is roughly double the cost of the .22LR.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC3ltKduHbE]Taurus Model 992 Tracker 22 Long Rifle / 22 Magnum Revolver - Gunblast.com - YouTube[/ame]

Concerning the .22LR semi-auto for plinking: I own a High Standard Sport King with 6¾" barrel. The barrels can be changed out with the push of a button. It has performed flawlessly for the past 35 years. I now use Remington Golden HP rounds and have not had any problems with cycling.

Accurate and fun to shoot

I added a red dot scope to it just try it out

Taking it apart to clean take a few times to get it down

Robin says it is to heavy for her

I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 22 I like the full size of this model

The Ruger sr22 in a real nice gun to shoot as well I rented one a few times

22 Ammo is now place to be found around here

I decided to not even purchase another gun until ammo is available

The S&W wesson 357 is a GREAT gun. I have a model 19 with a 6" barrel that I bought when I lived in NJ. (carry permits are impossible to get there) Very accurate gun. I taught my son to shoot with it & he was able after a while to bullseye targets while shooting from the hip.

Now as far as the 22lr is concerned choose wisey & research heavily. I have found that many 22lr semi auto jam & have ejection issues unless you use high velosity ammo like CCI.

A GREAT target 22lr is the Ruger mark3 competition,

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/14287.jpg

This gun has flawless operation. I'm sure there are others but these I can personally vouch for.

Edited by dave_wells

My favorite .357Mag/38special revolver is a Dan Wesson. Very accurate.

For target shooting, .38 hollowbase wadcutter bullets seem to be the most accurate.

I also like the Ruger .22lr heavy barrel for target shooting.