IGNORED

Not a Venture Rider:-(

steppenwolf

Hey all,first time poster,glad to be here.We were discussing the Wing a bit on an all brand board and a poster mentioned the venerable Venture being sorta tossed aside and not given it's due so here I am to try to find some info. I ride an '80 1100 Yamaha..

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/yamaha_28/6-31-08049-1.jpg

So I am fact finding actually...did Yamaha fail in it's marketing and advertising of the Venture as a good road bike or was the Wing that much better? Yamaha back in'83 or so sent me a mailing with a US road map,literature and a small square record with the song..Don't Follow Anyone....So what I am looking for is how are the early bikes holding up?Had this bike been on the sales floor in '80....possibly that would be what I would be riding now..........I HAVE not been thru this site so my post might be redundant...if so please set me straight........

Bill

Guest Ken8143

Welcome aboard, Bill - I am sure there will be no shortage of responses! I ride a 1987 Venture Royale and love it. Have not ridden a 1987 Wing, but I like the looks of the venture better, and I can't imagine that the wing had much over the venture at that time.

I won't stir the pot about the plusses and minuses of the 1st gen vs 2nd gen ventures...Others do that so much better than I:witch_brew::stickinouttounge:

Yamaha did not fail in it marketing of the Royal Star Venture, they failed to market it at all. I do not ever recall seeing one ad for the bike, but it almost always sells well at the dealerships and very well in the used bike world.

Brand new they have more for less and a 5 year warranty.

I bought my '99 used 4 years ago with 53k miles on it. It now has over 76k miles on it and there is nothing wrong with the bike. All it needs is normal maintenance and tune ups. I find the 1300cc water cooled V-4 to be very powerful. You need to remember that it love to produce power at high RPM's and the engine is built for it.

This weekend I pulled a trailer for the first time and I really did not feel the trailer behind me while at speed. When stopping I did not feel any noticeable pushing. The only time I felt the trailer was at low RPM's in first or second gear or when I hit a real big dip or bump in the road. I weighed my trailer fully loaded and it came in at 370 pounds.

When I was looking to buy a touring bike I looked at wings and said "Yuk" and I test road a Harley Ultra and thought "This is all there is for how much $$$$$$$$$$$$" Yikes!

Then my wife and I saw an ad for a used 99 Royal Star Venture. We had never heard of one so we went to test drive it and found it was great. We love the size of the big beast. It's physically bigger than any Harley and it had more than enough power for us. We said we would buy it so the dealer prepped it for us and we started researching the RSV that week. We took final deliver the next weekend and we've been happy ever since.

Go test ride one. Actually I always say test ride them all and buy the one YOU like best.

Cheers,

Find somebody around you that has an early 83-85 (MKI) Venture. Find a straight road for about a mile and a half and let'er rip. Then find some twisties, and do the same. The 'Wing was made for strictly touring (that's why they're called Interstates and Aspencades)The Venture was built specifically for touring an sport riding. Rated from the factory at 95 hp, 12.05 seconds @ 105 mph in the standing quarter mile for an 800 lb. TOURING bike!!!! We regularly scrape the pegs when we're going around the corners. Muffinman should tell you some stories (wheelstands like a crotch rocket to name a few!!). Like I say, borrow one and enjoy!

Welcome to the board!

Dan

PS---- there are MANY early Ventures out there. The bikes are good for around 200k, the early 83-85's had a problem in the tranny, easy fix. Very durable, more than enuff bike for anybody.

Todd,

Bam there ya go Yamaha wanted a Sport Touring Bike......smaller bags,less storage,I heard a little top heavy and Honda did the full touring routine.......and the riding public wanted a pure road bike......not trying to p on the parade just trying to figure out WHY Yamaha did not see that.

Bill, to answer your REAL question.

there are MANY '83 to 85 first gen ventures STILL on the road.

there are MANY '86 to 93, first gen ventures still on the road.

unfortunately, there's a lot of them "newer ones", too.(their owners think they are fast)

lol

just jt

Steppenwolf, you had better take what you said about not being a Venture rider because you actually are one. You are riding "The Venturer"! At least close enough for me. Check the history page at the link below.

http://www.venturerider.org/modules/history/index.php

You have been set straight as you asked, lol.

Welcome to the group. Now step up and git you one!

Oh, btw, the Wing was not better. :witch_brew:

I love my 1st Gen but I dont think there is a 83 Venture (non-modifed) thats gonna take an 1800 Goldwing. I personally think those stats are off. Just my opinion.
i'm inclined to agree. anyone want to try my wing on for size. i'm ready anytime. dead stop or top end. i'll be in eureka springs in 2 weeks. bill:cool10::cool10: :stirthepot:

Well I have the 83 Venture and the 08 Gold Wing Best of both worlds.

The 83 venture is somewhat top heavy but once moving you never feel it and the 83 takes the curves with ease no problems and has no rev. limiter so redlinging the Venture is nothing, this V4 loves to be in the red that's when it is the most dangerous. And fast the 83 is the fastest of the Venture line. And as for the 08 Gold Wing, this machine is well balanced and pure power top or low end no matter where at this GL1800 is ready to run.

And as for a race between a Venture and Gold Wing I have to say it would have to be the 1983 model Venture XVZ1200 WHY? Well due to it being the fastest V4 in the Venture line plus no rev. limiter and the motor never gives up, the only way the Venture has a chance against the new GL1800 is to stay in the red zone otherwise the Venture is beat.

And as for the 83 Venture I have no problems riding it across country. Runs just as good today as it did new in 1983 may not look new but it still runs with the big dogs with no problems.

And as for the Second Gen. 1300 I Love the style the performance and power the 1300 puts out. But its too top heavy when riding two up for my knee if not for that I would be riding a 08 Venture instead of the 08 Gold Wing.

Buddy

Man ...

y'all sure are comparing Apples and Lemonsthere ... (Pun intended, the '83 is the Apple in that Picture)

The '83 Venture is what it is .. a 1983 Bike !!!

Comparing this Bike to a GL 1800 from 2004 or whenever it came on the Market doesn't give Honda a good Credit. They needed around 20 Years of building, inventing, developing and selling a Bike to finally accomplish a Bike that beats the '83 ??

Please understand me right, i'm not willing to play Devil's Acdvocat here and i'm sure not willing to take anything off the Merits of the Wing. But these are the Facts.

Bill,

First off, welcome aboard the site. This is a great site with great people who will certainly make you feel welcome.

I'm sure everyone has thier own story on the hows and whys they ride what they ride, I can only give you my perspective.

I ride a 87 Venture Royale XVZ1300 which is about to turn over 100k miles. I just returned from 6500 mile trip covering 20 states, towing a trailer. I ride my biike everyday.

I can't imagine riding anything else. I've riden the Goldwing and think it is a fine bike in many ways but, I still perfer my Antique Venture.

The best way for you to find out is to ride one.

Honda did a much better job of marketing the Wing back in the '80's, Yamaha didn't do squat. The 1st gen Venture was WAY ahead of it's time, there wasn't an era wing that could keep up with it. The new Wing is an awsome machine, I have rode a few, and there is no comparison between the 20 + year old technology and the new Wing. Sorry to say, the 1st gen wont outperform one, but they can keep up pretty well.

my 86 royale is everything I want in a touring bike, except I wish it was new with a new warranty. Nothing like it on the road today. The convenience and storage of a Wing, with better balance.

I don't get the "top Heavy" comments about the first Gen royale. I had mine in the local Yamaha shop (RTR in Washington, IL, excellent shop) and the owner took my bike for a ride before returning it to me after service. He was amazed at how tossable it was in the curves.

A new 1800 wing will walk away from any Venture, but not REAL quickly. I am a member of GWRRA and the local GW chapter. They are great folks, and they REALLY ride hard! First ride, I had to grab a lot of throttle to keep up, but I did.

The ergonomics of my Royale are perfect for me. I am not as comfortable on a Wing.

When the time comes to retire the Royale, I am not sure what I will get, but a Wing may be my only choice, as I am not a fan of the "Harley" style of the current Venture. Great bikes, many, many people love them, and they still have that great water cooled V-4, but I want a frame mounted fairing and on-board air suspension adjustment etc.

If the Harley look doesn't bother you, you should check out the latest Royal Venture, they are THE bargain for big touring bikes, and that 5 year warranty is also a good deal.

Or check out a good used Venture Royale (note the "e" at the end denotes the older version, also the Venture is put in front rather than after like the new bike) because they are still out there, and with even modest care, they last a long time, just like a Wing.

the venture royale was way ahead of it's time. in fact it's almost in time right now. the 2nd gen is a fine looking and running machine. i loved my rstd, but it was just two top heavy and i was getting closer to dropping it at low speed every time i rode it. i bought the goldwing on an impulse. never rode one, but sat on one and could flat foot it and bend my knees. probably not a better looking touring bike out there than a second gen decked out right. looks like a motorcycle should with the ultra caddy ride. my wing took getting used to, mostly the foot pegs. i put highway boards on it and use them very little anymore. the front forks are the wings big flaw, a little rough on washboards .the racetech gold valve and springs will take care of that. actually the average rider would'nt notice anything amiss there. as far as handling it is excellent for a bike this big. i drag the highway boards without trying. don't think it will corner any faster than my rstd do to clearance , but it does'nt wallow like my rstd did. power wise lots of cars have the same size motor. any way you look at it it has over 500cc's on the ventures and a power band as flat as a pancake from off idle to redline. never any drive line snatch no matter how slow the engine is turning. it pulls hard from idle on up with turbine smoothness. you just can't flaw to much on the 1800 wings. honda got it almost perfect. when i want to get the good old motorcycle look and feel i ride my vstar 1300. i love both bikes equally for what they are, and meant to be. i saw wingman and swifty bash one off at vogel. la pryor and i were racing right behind them don't know who won as they were long gone. i asked wingman how fast he was going and he said he peaked out at 135. have to ask one of them who won. they are all great bikes. it's all in what works best for you. bill

Thank you for the welcomes..you guys have a great site here,friendly with lots of posters and vieweres.I was hesitant about asking why the wing became bigger and the Venture sorta got lost in the shuffle. I thought there might be a lot of bashing..but it was all civil and informative...you are a dedicated lot that is for sure:-) I do not plan on getting( a Venture)as I like my '80 XS1100....it fits me perfect for my riding style and trip lengths.I was just seeking some info for an all brand site about the Venture,I won't be on here much,I moderate one board,it's sinking:-(.enjoy the 1100 board and we just got a new UJM(Universial Japanese Motorcycle) board which is small but fun...soo a little busy.

Thanks to the history site of the Venture...looks like my 1100 was the fore runner to the newer Venture....so does that make me an old timer and you guys newbies:hurts::hurts::hurts:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/yamaha_28/DSC_0275-2.jpg

Bill

Steppenwolf,

I too ride an 80 XS1100. In fact, looks quite a bit like yours! Been across the country twice on it, and really like it.

That being said, I've been riding an 89 MkII for a couple months and REALLY like it. It's really built for distance cruising. Not that the XS can't do it, obviously it can, but the Venture does it better.

One interesting thing I found is that the Venture has the reputation of being top heavy. I find my XS to be taller than the Venture and it feels heavier to me.

I see you're in Ohio, where abouts? I'm down in Cincy, but I've got one kid at OSU, one at Toledo, and one at Miami in Oxford. We should got riding. XS or Venture, your choice!

Paul

Yamaha did not fail in it marketing of the Royal Star Venture, they failed to market it at all. I do not ever recall seeing one ad for the bike, but it almost always sells well at the dealerships and very well in the used bike world.

Brand new they have more for less and a 5 year warranty.

I bought my '99 used 4 years ago with 53k miles on it. It now has over 76k miles on it and there is nothing wrong with the bike. All it needs is normal maintenance and tune ups. I find the 1300cc water cooled V-4 to be very powerful. You need to remember that it love to produce power at high RPM's and the engine is built for it.

This weekend I pulled a trailer for the first time and I really did not feel the trailer behind me while at speed. When stopping I did not feel any noticeable pushing. The only time I felt the trailer was at low RPM's in first or second gear or when I hit a real big dip or bump in the road. I weighed my trailer fully loaded and it came in at 370 pounds.

When I was looking to buy a touring bike I looked at wings and said "Yuk" and I test road a Harley Ultra and thought "This is all there is for how much $$$$$$$$$$$$" Yikes!

Then my wife and I saw an ad for a used 99 Royal Star Venture. We had never heard of one so we went to test drive it and found it was great. We love the size of the big beast. It's physically bigger than any Harley and it had more than enough power for us. We said we would buy it so the dealer prepped it for us and we started researching the RSV that week. We took final deliver the next weekend and we've been happy ever since.

Go test ride one. Actually I always say test ride them all and buy the one YOU like best.

Cheers,

I agree with the lack of marketing. It is the same with the 1st and 2nd gen. I fail to understand why they never market either one especially after their experience with being smoked by Honda in the marketing dept. 1st and 2nd gens are both great bikes and they deserve at least some attempt to promote them by Yamaha, but it just has never happened and it is just a mystery to me.

James I agree with ya,Yamaha failed from the top on down to the dealerships to promote the bike.I would go to my dealer,eyeball the Venture and nada,no take it for a spin Bill,makes your 1100 look like a city slicker,perfect bike for ya,good in the city and pack it full and hit the road for weeks............I liked the first few years they came out..I don't know '83 to '86 looked like the perfect size that I could handle then they got a bit bigger so I stayed with my 1100.........so that in a nut shell why I still ride the 1100.

Paul, I am out here in Dunlap near MT. Rumpke:-)I know the Venture is a better road bike than mine but I am stuck in the UJM era:-)That is the style that I like.

This will most likely be my last post....I expected a couple of posts and maybe a read or two but you guys have it together.I came here to find a little info on the Venture as it was bought up in an all brand site and I didn't really have a clue....I have not mentioned the site cause I am not here to promote it and it would not be right.

Till we meet again......Ride Safe......Bill

Leave ya with an Indiana Welcome sign...........

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/yamaha_28/DSC_0294.jpg

Ok, this site has me hooked a bit,nice place,went to the venture history area...danged if I didn't learn all kinds of stuff,who ever put that together,good job. Well the Venture that I thought I knew and the ones that I like(don't shoot me down later owners:-)I thought had gone by the way side in '93 in the configuration I knew. Then the Royal Star from '96 to '98 and now the way it is set up to the present........wow has this bike come a long ways....I am of the old school I suppose,what is now classic styling was state of the art at the time.I am riding an antique compared to you guys:-)

Dano...yuppers you win the prize..collect it from the Moderator...........

Giga..thank you for the kind words...they are not always heard on line...

:photographing:

So what the venture was based on...not shy about pics,think I got it sized right this time,last OCT,overniter....camping by the tracks with trains running by all nite...XS 1100 HEAVEN:D

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/yamaha_28/12-12-07105.jpg