IGNORED

84 Starting Problem

I need some help in tracking down a problem! In the past couple of days, I have had my 84 not willing to start. She seems to run OK but twice now when I go to start her, she won't turn over. It acts like the kill switch is off, but it isn't. The first time it happened I played with things (turning the kill switch off and on, kick stand up and down, turned the key off and on, etc) and she eventually fired up. The second time... same stuff,but no help....sooo being on a hill I jump started her, no problem at all. After both times, she started up later and runs ok.

SO I am off tommorrow and have some time, where should I start looking? and how should I test (I have a low wrench IQ)

Dave

When you have tried to start it, has all the dash lights and everything gone off? The very 1st thing I would do is clean and check all your connections from the battery. Check the ground which is on the right side of the engine down at the very forward of it. Make sure all your connections are clean and tight.

If that doesn't cure it the I would pull the starter switch assy apart and see if it's corroded, do the same with the kill switch. Just be care ful when you pull them apart as ther are lots of small parts. Take your digital camera and take pics as you pull it apart so you have a reference to how it goes back together. Let us know how you fare and we'll help you get it figured out.

Sorry forgot to add..... that lights, radio, etc all work fine when this happened, and battery is charged and good to go.

Only odd thing is that when I switched the kill switch off and on, I noticed the tach would jump a tiny bit.

Squid, I will check what you recommend tomorrow!

Check the resistance " thru " the Kill Switch with an Ohm meter !!

follow cable till you come to a Plug, open plug, check resistance thru the Switch.

Also check the Resistance thru the " ON - Off " contacts of your Ignition Switch.

Check your " Ignition Fuse " 15 amp, the Clips that hold it in place may not be makeing good contact.

--- this should get you started, ( pun intended ) :080402gudl_prv:

ok....

Here is where i am at....

checked the battery and grounds...all good

check the kill switch, starter and ignition fuse...everything seems fine. There is not a lot of corrosion, cleaned things up.

The kill switch had some resistance... it actually seemed like it would fluctuate.

I tried to start it and no go...i noticed that when it doesn't start the fuel pump doesn't switch on.

So I jumped the kill switch and it started right up. After that it starts fine now, but I am not very confident that it will stay that way.

It looks like it is the switch...

Does that sound like the problem to you all??

Any cheap solutions for a bad switch?

Edited by uthpda

Well....strike one

I wired the switch out of the equation, and still have the same problem. :doh:

Any thoughts on what is next? The pain is that it isn't a consistent problem...but it is getting worse. I hate electrical problems.

A starter with bad contacts or brushes will most definitely cause the symptoms you describe. I've not had the side covers off my gen 1 off yet to see if I can see the starter, but if you can get a small hammer into the starter the next time this happens give the starter motor a few taps with the hammer or ratchet or whatever you can get to it, and see if it will turn over then. If it does you need to rebuild your starter or get a new one.

OK...after alot of messing around. Here is where I am at....

I messed with and rewired the kill switch, it had a spot that i was suspicious that there might be a break in and that might cause the intermittent problem. Somewhere in this whole process I noticed that the ignition fuse was indeed blown (don't think that is what the problem was because it did start sometimes)

ANYWAYS I put it all back together (even sync up the cards and did a couple of little things including cleaning up some contacts) and it seems to running and starting good:big-grin-emoticon:

I hope it is fixed, only time will tell...but so far so good!!!

Check the resistance " thru " the Kill Switch with an Ohm meter !!

follow cable till you come to a Plug, open plug, check resistance thru the Switch.

Also check the Resistance thru the " ON - Off " contacts of your Ignition Switch.

Check your " Ignition Fuse " 15 amp, the Clips that hold it in place may not be makeing good contact.

--- this should get you started, ( pun intended ) :080402gudl_prv:

I had to replace mine because the clips were getting weak. I replaced it with a single in line fuse that uses the colored automotive fuses. You might carry a voltmeter and the next time it does it check the clips and see if your getting power across the fuse. Ronnie

• 7 months later...
A starter with bad contacts or brushes will most definitely cause the symptoms you describe. I've not had the side covers off my gen 1 off yet to see if I can see the starter, but if you can get a small hammer into the starter the next time this happens give the starter motor a few taps with the hammer or ratchet or whatever you can get to it, and see if it will turn over then. If it does you need to rebuild your starter or get a new one.

Please don't hit the starter with a hammer. I know it will make it start sometimes, but you should only do that if you're stuck sitting beside the road, and just have to get it going. Smacking the starter with a hammer can break the magnets inside, and you don't wanna do that. It doesn't take that hard of a whack to break them either...they are brittle.