I am about to get new tires on my 06 and was wondering if there is anything I should know about recommended size and actual size. What the dealer recommends is one thing but you guys are the fully qualified testers. I have read that some used a smaller tire in the front for handling. What size should I use front? And back?

Thanks

Depending on your height and inseam, I would suggest that you install level links and go with the stock size tire in the front. The narrow tire is good for riders that are a bit inseamed challenged and the bike would be a bit tall with the level links on. The narrow tire in heavy winds can make the bike get pushed around. You wont go wrong with either one, the Avons will make a huge difference.

wow I just ordered the avon tires and went with the MT90B16 which is a bet narrower from what I am reading here. I looked at a chart and it shows thats is a little over 1" narrower from stock. sure hope I did not make a mistake. They will be here on wed. guess I will find out going on a long ride in 2 weeks. I am a bet short 5' 8".

Guest Boomerbiker

We just love to talk about the Avons. I run the smaller front tire. Handling is more responsive. The rear replaced at 13,600 with the front now at 17,000 and plenty of tread remaining. Had the Brickstones swapped out at time of purchase.

I have the narrower Avon, 13000 Km now, about 8000 of it pulling a 500 pound camper trailer, it's a great setup. I am 5'6", 29.5 inch inseam, have lowered the front 1 inch with the Baron's/Racetech goldvalve kit that also has better springs... love it!

....but it sure makes a difference.

I switched to Avons from Dunlops....and also went down a size to the 130 on the front.....so I don't know how much of the improved handling is attributable to the Avon factor, and how much to the size factor.......BUT.....there's definately a huge difference in handling.

What used to feel like try to steer a cow, now feels like a 250 or a 500cc motorcycle. Feels like less than half the previous weight on the front end.

The comments about being pushed around a bit on the highway are correct, though. On windy days......you'll be kept awake (not necessarily a bad thing!) keeping the front end on track. It's a bit of a trade off, but, overall, I'd rather have a bike that is nimble even if it requires that I pay a little more attention to what's going on.

wow I just ordered the avon tires and went with the MT90B16 which is a bet narrower from what I am reading here. I looked at a chart and it shows thats is a little over 1" narrower from stock. sure hope I did not make a mistake. They will be here on wed. guess I will find out going on a long ride in 2 weeks. I am a bet short 5' 8".

I wouldn't worry about the MT90 being a mistake. Personally, after extensive testing and comparisons I think the Venom in stock size is better for most riders (see my very detailed comments here and in other old threads: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20815&highlight=recap). But you will find numerous folks that still like the narrower front tire too. The only time I found the MT90 unsatisfactory is when the rear tire gets near end of life and develops a flat profile - in that situation I found the MT90 tire makes the bike feel twitchy as the sharp shoulders on the rear tire begin to catch and jump around on road irregularities. Even if you experience the same thing, you won't have to live with it too long since the rear tire will be ready for replacement! Just enjoy your ride and wear out those tires, then you will have all the information you need to make a decision on the size you want when you need another front! Ride safe,

Goose