IGNORED

Need suggestions

Double D

The wife and I can not get away for anytime to ourselves until the last week of October and we only have about 5 days. I need some suggestions as to where we can go. As some of you know, I live in the north central part of Tennessee. We are not sure if the weather will allow us to ride the bike or not (wife is not a cold weather lady). Any help would be appreciated.:2132:

My suggestion:

Take her to Helen Ga, many shops resturants and things to do in town.

Then take her to Dillard, Ga (about 35 mile east of Helen) so you can both eat at the Dillards house. After eating, ride north on hwy 441 to hwy 246, (go right on 246) and ride up to Highlands, Nc.

Many stores and craft shops and things to see & do. Then take hwy 64 west out of Highlands and you will ride the best curves, the most soothing relaxing ride that is 100% under the trees in total shade through the forest.

You can only ride about 35mph (or slower), because the sun does not hit the road to dry off the morning dew on the curves..the traffic does though..so it is safe to ride, jusr be careful..

There are 11 different water falls along this route and one of them you can pull under and let the water falls run out over you with out getting wet. Many folks here on the site have been there with me.

Continue west on hwy 64 to the west side of Murphy, NC and pick up hwy 129 south and go past Vogel State Park and back to Hellen, Ga.

You can also ride from Helen to Dahlonaga, Ga, Tallulah Falls, or New Switzerland which are all really nice places to visit.

No matter what you decide or where you end up, in the cager or on the bike please ride / drive safe..!:thumbsup2:

Eck has outlined a really cool ride. We've dona all he suggests, just not all on the same trip. His ride may take 3 days if you are like us and don't tarry at one point long.

As also mentioned, go north first if possible, you can then turn and run south if need be. ASheville NC is still good weather at that time, the Biltmore is always a great way to waste several hours

Here's a couple of sites for some nice roads and events.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/index.html

http://www.lets-ride.com/ridesevents.htm

With your time limit there's more then enough to do between TN, NC, SC, GA to make you happy.

Hope you get to go somewhere and have a good time.

Biltmore is nice, they do wine tasting too. If you like that sort of thing.

Margaret

Saint Augustine Fl, (Nations oldest city) is very nice in Oct. lot of historic stuff to see. Lots of cool cruising along the ocean. (Very few curves and no hills though) About 700 miles from you. Usually the ocean is warm enough for swimming until almost Thanksgiving. Just South of St Augustine, right on the beach is a place called South Beach Bar and Grill, great food, relaxed atmosphere, shoes and shirts required after 5pm. Makes you feel almost like you're in the Keys.

Of course the Keys are fantastic also, especially Lime Tree Bay Resort in Long Key, but that is another 400 miles.

Guest Highway

Hey Double D, Wife used to get cold, ditched the leathers and bought her a good set of carhardt coveralls. They zip in the legs all the way up to the waist, so there is no problem getting them on and off over jeans and boots. We now ride year round. If you come this way let me know, maybe we can take a few days to ride.

:missingtooth: Highway

I really appreciate the suggestions, and ECK is the same ride we did at Vogel 2006? And now there is a change to our dates. We are not leaving on October 1 and since it will be early enough to have good weather we now plan to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway. This was our original plan from the beginning. We will get on in Cherokee NC and head north. Not making any reservations, just stopping when we get tired. Not sure how far we will make it but the wife wants to see her sister in Grundy VA on our way back.:2132:

ECK is this the same ride we did at Vogel 2006?

yes, but when I posted that suggestion, I forgot you rode it with me already...

we now plan to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway.

We will get on in Cherokee NC and head north.

Understanding you may be under some time constraints and all, but DoubleD, I would suggest you might want to board the Blue Ridge Parkway at Cashiers, NC..

There are some really beautiful breath taking views between cashiers and Cherokee on the parkway that you might not want to miss...others on the site here have seen what I am talking about..

we now plan to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway.

We will get on in Cherokee NC and head north.

Understanding you may be under some time constraints and all, but DoubleD, I would suggest you might want to board the Blue Ridge Parkway at Cashiers, NC..

There are some really beautiful breath taking views between cashiers and Cherokee on the parkway that you might not want to miss...others on the site here have seen what I am talking about..

I thought the southern most part of the Blue Ridge Parkway ended in Cherokee NC.:confused07:

Smokey Mountains - the Dragon. Stay at the Iron Horse Lodge in Stecorah, NC. There are no bad roads down there. Enjoy.

RR

I know. My wife and I rode around there last year for our vacation. We have ridden the Dragon several times and my wife is not impressed. We grew up riding bikes in eastern Kentucky and southern West Virginia and the roads there may not have as many curves all bunched up in one place, but the curves they have will allow you to clean off you tail light before you finish going through it. All joking aside, we loved that area but the "Boss" wants to go north and hope to see some of the leaves changing and I thought the best place to do that is on the Blue Ridge. :thumbsup2:

On October 10-12 our CMA chapter is have a mens fellowship and plan to stay at Telico Plans motorcycle resort. Anyone is welcome to come and join us.:2132:

I know. My wife and I rode around there last year for our vacation. We have ridden the Dragon several times and my wife is not impressed. We grew up riding bikes in eastern Kentucky and southern West Virginia and the roads there may not have as many curves all bunched up in one place, but the curves they have will allow you to clean off you tail light before you finish going through it. All joking aside, we loved that area but the "Boss" wants to go north and hope to see some of the leaves changing and I thought the best place to do that is on the Blue Ridge. :thumbsup2:

On October 10-12 our CMA chapter is have a mens fellowship and plan to stay at Telico Plans motorcycle resort. Anyone is welcome to come and join us.:2132:

Illinois is North............Some of the roughest, flat roads you will ever ride :rotf: But......I live here so its a good state :rotfl:

Seriously, have you thought about Wisconsin? We went to Southwest WI in July with another couple and it was very nice. Nice rolling hills and I'm sure it would be very colorful in fall. But you would have to stop in and say Hi on your way north.

Road Kill I would love to ride you area but I only have about 5 days for a round trip and I would have to push it to make it to you. (Wife only wants to ride about 300 miles a day at the most). Maybe when I have more time. But thanks for the invite.:2143:

The daughter and I did a bunch of eastern travel this year on our way out (definitly a round about way) to Sturgis from MO.. Cut through the Smokey Mountain National Park, get on the Blue Ridge Parkway at the South/east entrance of the park.. RIde the complete length of the Blue Ridge ((WOWWW!!)).. Get a dab if the Catskills and Adorindack Parks and go see/do Lake Placid --- IT IS AWESOME!!!

Puc