My wife bought us a `01 RSV with only 2700 miles on it, and we picked it up yesterday, This bike is brand new, the only thing I have noticed, is that at the bottom of the Radiator where the fairings connect to each other, it looks like maybe there is a peice missing, or maybe just missing a bolt, any Ideas?? Is this common on these bikes??

Thanks

Kbay,

Welcome to the Venturerider fanily. You will really enjoy your new bike. And yes, your post was in the right place (we are not too terribly strict about rules - other than: always keep it on the G side of PG, no disparaging comments about others, etc.) However, there is one cardinal rule: when you have any thing new - a bike, an accessory, a dog, a trailer, etc. - you MUST POST PICTURES!!! We all want to see your new baby.

You will find tons of great information about your new scoot in here. And tons of ways to spend your disposible income on accessories and safety chrome.

OK, all - start sending Kbay all the thing he needs to review, add on, remove, etc. to his Venture.

I will start: Leveling links - great for improving low speed handling.

Again, welcome.

RR

PS, My brother has a Honda Shadow Aero - very nice ride.

My wife bought us a `01 RSV with only 2700 miles on it, and we picked it up yesterday, This bike is brand new, the only thing I have noticed, is that at the bottom of the Radiator where the fairings connect to each other, it looks like maybe there is a peice missing, or maybe just missing a bolt, any Ideas?? Is this common on these bikes??

Thanks

I think SleeperHawk gave you the info you needed. I'll just add that I decided to remove that small plastic pin because I found it to be a pain to remove and replace when I want to tale my lowers off. Has been off for almost 2 riding seasons and no harm done. Thereis plenty to keep them in place. I also put the Wagner grill over my rad. Just 1 of dozens of good items to spend your money on.

By the way, welcome to the group and you are a luckey man to have a wife that found and got you such a great bike.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Where the cowlings meet at the bottom, is a grommet with a phillips head that locks in the two pieces together. You have to get on your back (or jack the bike up to see this.

On the parts list, it is cowling 2, item 34

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/parts/home.aspx

If all else fails and you don't have that piece just put a zip tie on temporary.

Looks to me that maybe someone did not put the two lower cowlings on correctly. The left one (that is sticking out in your picture) fits under the edge of the right one. If both are put on correctly, they will be fine even without the center plastic rivet. Good luck,

Goose

• 4 months later...

I picked mine up locally but these guys have the same mud flap. You will have to drill your fender under the chrome trim piece. Just use some flat headed bolts.....I used a brass brake block bolt to install mine and put some black silicone above the edge to avoid any dirt/water hanging there.

Keith

http://www.openroadleatherandaccessories.com/products.html?q=flap

Kbay,

Met a guy this summer that said he took the bolt out of that joint and leaves it out because, if the bike were to go over on it's side, it a allows a little flex and keeps the cowlins from cracking. Looks like you could just push them together and they'd mate and be find. Just my :2cents:

• 2 years later...

Those mud flaps can be custom ordered from

Tammy at timberwolf leather www.timberwolfleather.com/item_93/Yamaha-Venture-Mud-Flaps.htm

She offers several color edgings and concho's or stars.

Good product, had one on front for years - still looks new.

I removed the chrome fender trip and mounted flap a little lower than pictured.

This way the mounting bolts are hidden when the chrome trim is re-mounted.

Edited by Sgtglenn
added info

Looks to me that maybe someone did not put the two lower cowlings on correctly. The left one (that is sticking out in your picture) fits under the edge of the right one. If both are put on correctly, they will be fine even without the center plastic rivet. Good luck,

Goose

I agree Goose...

(If Looking forward, sitting on seat), it appears the right lower fairing was installed first, then the lower left and that is when they realized they goofed and decided to just leave it alone..

The lower left, (drivers side) must be installed first, then the lower right side fits over it, then the screw from underneath that Sleeperhawk spoke of is what holds them together

Before you try to secure the cowling back in place check that the front side engine guards are in proper alignment. If the bike has been bumped or dropped on its side the engine guards may slightly pushed back causing the cowling to come out of alignment. Have a close look at the engine guards to see if there are any rub-marks on them. Just a thought.

If you need any plastic repairs I have had tremendous success with Plastex ( http://plastex.net/ ). You can permanently rebuild plastic tabs, fill in large areas or mend small cracks. With or without a bike this product is very handy to have around.

Guest oldroadstar

I believe there is a plastic pin inside that part of the lower fairing that pushes into a rubber grommet then the plastic push screw fits in from the bottom. It looks like your pin is not pushed into the rubber grommet.