IGNORED

6 gallon tank???

pete_t

I'm new to this site but been ridding a RSV for 3 yrs and have 52k miles on it. My question is, with a 6 gal tank why won't it use at least 5.5 before I have to fill up? I coasted into a station (after going on reserve) and it only held 4.5 gal. The most I've gotten out of a tank is 170 miles. I average between 40-46 MPG so I should get 220-250 miles to a tank. I was on a trip with a couple of gold wingers last year and they could go 200 easy & I had to stop at 130-150 (doing 75-80 on hwy)

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED!!

pete_t@bellsouth.net

I'm new to this site but been ridding a RSV for 3 yrs and have 52k miles on it. My question is, with a 6 gal tank why won't it use at least 5.5 before I have to fill up? I coasted into a station (after going on reserve) and it only held 4.5 gal. The most I've gotten out of a tank is 170 miles. I average between 40-46 MPG so I should get 220-250 miles to a tank. I was on a trip with a couple of gold wingers last year and they could go 200 easy & I had to stop at 130-150 (doing 75-80 on hwy)

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED!!

pete_t@bellsouth.net

Why did you coast into a station after going on reserve? You had at least 60 more miles to RIDE without coasting anywhere! I have used virtually all of my 6 gallons numerous times - twice I have filled up with 5.8+ gallons after pushing it to the hairy limit on reserve.

Goose

Guest Saddletramp

I go onto reserve at or around 180 miles and consistently run between 40 to 45 mpgs. The furthest that I have pushed it was 230 miles. Not fond of running out.

Why did you coast into a station after going on reserve? You had at least 60 more miles to RIDE without coasting anywhere! I have used virtually all of my 6 gallons numerous times - twice I have filled up with 5.8+ gallons after pushing it to the hairy limit on reserve.

Goose

135 miles, then go to reserve, and only 24 miles while pulling my trailer, loaded, two up.:confused07:

Pulling trailer, always carry extra gas. NOW

Great question I have been wondering this very thing, the fuel display switches on on the dash about 190 miles, it starts bucking I switch to reserve, drive another 25 miles, Stop get gas and put 4.5 gal. in?? If the tank holds 6 gal. I could easily go another 50 miles? why do they have the reserve set so early? Craig

Before doing an Iron Butt ride, I filled the bike and a 1 gal gas can that I stapped to the luggage rack. Ran it out of fuel to see how far it would really go. Used the 1 gallon to get me to a gas station.

211 miles (indicated) at highway speeds.

RR

Great question I have been wondering this very thing, the fuel display switches on on the dash about 190 miles, it starts bucking I switch to reserve, drive another 25 miles, Stop get gas and put 4.5 gal. in?? If the tank holds 6 gal. I could easily go another 50 miles? why do they have the reserve set so early? Craig

If you only got 4.5 gallons in after going 25 miles on reserve, then you are not really filling the tank. But this is a normal problem with the stock tank - that long filler neck makes it almost impossible to get it full. That is easily fixed by venting the top of the filler neck (see the tech library).

The owners manual says the reserve comes on with 1 gal remaining. In my experience with three different RSVs, this is WRONG. It comes on with 1.5 gallons remaining.. Even with the best fuel economy reported here, after riding another 25 miles, you should have been able to add at least 5 gallons. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I've drug my feet for 24 hours hoping someone else would say what Goose said. He is correct.

1. When you switch to reserve, remember you have at least one gallon of fuel left.

2. You are probably not filling the tank completely. It takes time and effort but you can put, at least, another half-gallon in according to the mileage you indicated.

One final commment: It is impossible to compare MPG and MPT (per tank) figures because riding styles and speeds vary so widely. THe difference between cruising the freeway at 80mph and puttering along sightseeing the back roads is HUGE.

Good job Goose

Lynn

I've also punched the holes in the filler tube & average 5.5 gallons per fill-up, once did 5.85. I don't know about anyone else, but I can smell the gas when it gets really low, too. I don't smell it any other time. Anyone else ever notice that?

I have gone 225 before filling up and I was starting to get a little nervous about it, gas stations were kind of scarce where I was. This was on the dash odometer too so the real miles were a little lower. Now I primarily use the fuel warning on the Zumo with the warning set at 180 and the fuel odometer on the dash as the backup. I always have the petcock on reserve. Almost forgot, after 225 the tank accepted 5.3 gal.

Edited by GunnyButch

If you only got 4.5 gallons in after going 25 miles on reserve, then you are not really filling the tank. But this is a normal problem with the stock tank - that long filler neck makes it almost impossible to get it full. That is easily fixed by venting the top of the filler neck (see the tech library).

The owners manual says the reserve comes on with 1 gal remaining. In my experience with three different RSVs, this is WRONG. It comes on with 1.5 gallons remaining.. Even with the best fuel economy reported here, after riding another 25 miles, you should have been able to add at least 5 gallons. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanks for the info, I always fill it to just above the bottom of the filler neck, so as not to have it expand and run out all over the place, I guess I should carry a gal. of gas in the bag one time, and see how far I can go after the F gauge comes on on the dash. Craig

You can fill it up completely without punching holes in the filler neck. The vent tube located under the plastic pod on top of the tank will allow the level to rise all of the way to the top of the filler hole. You just have to put the fuel in wait for the level to equalize. Squirt some more in, allow the level to equalize, and repeat until the tank is completly full. Careful squeezing the last drop in can be messy.

I "coasted" into the station because I was OUT OF GAS.....I had filled up (to the top of the tank) and stayed under 65 mph. After I hit reserve, I rode another 30 miles and it started sputtering. I put the choke on a few times to get to the pumps. Then I could only put in 4.5 gallons -- I filled it all the way to the top again. And I know the OM says to only fill to the top of the neck but I go all the way up. All I wanted to know is if anyone else has had this problem and if there was a "fix". I do have a 6 gal tank and can only use 4.5 gallons.................

Goose

I "coasted" into the station because I was OUT OF GAS.....I had filled up (to the top of the tank) and stayed under 65 mph. After I hit reserve, I rode another 30 miles and it started sputtering. I put the choke on a few times to get to the pumps. Then I could only put in 4.5 gallons -- I filled it all the way to the top again. And I know the OM says to only fill to the top of the neck but I go all the way up. All I wanted to know is if anyone else has had this problem and if there was a "fix". I do have a 6 gal tank and can only use 4.5 gallons.................

Sounds to me like you didn't have the petcock in the reserve position. I hit the reserve at right around 175 miles and it takes about 4.5 gallons to fill it. I have the vent holes in my filler neck and fill it right up to the top if I'm getting right back on the road. It will leak if you let it set in the sun as it will expand, if you get right back on and ride, it will use it before it does expand.

Are you sure you have it on reserve?

It sounds like your reserve system is not working. I would pull the tank off of the bike, put it on reserve and drain all the fuel out. I would then remove the petcock and see how much gas was left in the tank. I think you have a bad petcock.

Earl