IGNORED

Real world fuel mileage?

Gunruner

"Hi folks". I'm new here and I'm presently riding an '07 RoadStar. I've had mileage issues with the Roadie and usually get real good MPG when I finish fiddling with the carbs. I started with 28-32 MPG off the showroom floor and stock jetting. After 6 carb surgery's by me and alot of fiddling I'm at 52-54 MPG just cruising 60-65 and 40-44 MPG on the super slab. I'm considering the Venture and I can work carbs but I'd sure like a bike that comes resonably setup off the floor. I read 42MPG on the Yammy tags at the dealer but I'd like to know from you folks that ride these bikes everyday just what you really get? Any and all input will be appreciated. Please be candid..............Thanks.....Mike P.S. How bad is the Venture in downtown stop n go manuvering?

Edited by Gunruner

Been getting around 44 mpg average cruising. Roadhouse pipes, K&N filters,plugged AIS system. No rejetting, OH YA ! had carbs synced.(important on these bikes). Running Regular,the cheapest stuff runs great in these bikes. Thats one up also.

:2cents:

Fuzzy

I avarage 45 mpg, as low as 33 mpg (80+mph and head wind) and high of 54 mpg (sqeezing the max out of it). There is a learning curve handling the beast at slow speeds but no problems once you get the hang of it. Good luck Rod

Been getting around 44 mpg average cruising. Roadhouse pipes, K&N filters,plugged AIS system. No rejetting, OH YA ! had carbs synced.(important on these bikes). Running Regular,the cheapest stuff runs great in these bikes. Thats one up also.

:2cents:

Fuzzy

Synching carbs super easy on this bike.. I spent an hour being 'finiky' about it and got the bike super smooth now.. impressive! For some reason I tend to ride super fast if I don't watch the speedo.. cause ya can't tell how fast you're going.. except of all the suddenly slow cars on the highway.. Hmm..

The carbs were horribly out of synch before I synched them up and I was getting 44 mph and I'm still averaging the same.. Synching didn't seem to improve milage at all.. however, it makes for one heck of a better ride. =)

Solo riding, rarely see the super-slab so riding is 45-60mph, last four tanks were 48mpg. Mileage is not as good in winter -- about 42mpg. My only modification is that I have K&N air filters, but I don't know whether that affected it at all. I don't treat it like a rocket -- I cruise.

Top that I ever got was 49mpg, worst was about 38 while on interstate.

07 venture, mostly two up riding, 70-75 mph, ...38-39 mpg..........got 42 mpg on a group ride that avg. about 55 mph.........the bike is top heavy, once you start moving it is ok....but, you need to remember this when coming to a stop, and when manuvering the bike around with your feet

Guest Brad25ca

I've seen as high as 47mpg on my 1986 Royale, but I've also been in the low 20's. Just this weekend, I had the bike apart and checked the coils, wires, boost sensor, pickup...the plus look pretty good, but it seems the bike it running a tad rich, so I guess I will be getting the carbs cleaned and set up over the winter.

2006 RSV Observed Fuel Mileage, Two-Up riding:

80mph on cruise control: 30-35mpg depending on wind.

65-70mph on two lane: 38-42mpg depending on wind.

The mpg calculations were made using the trip odometer which appears to report approximately 3.5% more miles than measured with a Garmin Map76 GPS.

All 5 bikes get over 47 mpg at 65-70 mph. If you are in the low 40's and under get it worked on. If carb'ed, lean it out by dropping the jet needles .010-.020" (extends further into main jet/emulsion tube/needle jet).

Easy to do, take off the carb cap. Remove the slide and diaphram. Unscrew the needle. Take out the needle and remove the spacer under the circle clip. Replace the spacer with small washer(s) about 1/2 the thickness of the original. Reinstall.

Carb's & air cleaner must be clean and synch'ed.

Do a spark plug check before and after. Black=rich, brown or gray= about right, white=too lean. Headwinds and speed=drag & kill gas mileage. :mo money:

I do drive conservatively and consistantly. I'm retired, why rush the thing I like doing best?

I've only run two tanks of gas through my 84 VR so far. I'm averaging 36 MPG right now and this is driving to and from work through speed zones ranging from 30 mph to 45 mph. However, there are a couple of secluded stetches of road (nothing but straight road with no turn outs) that I might stand on it just a bit. I'm still trying to figure the bike out and as soon as I do, I'm sure my numbers will rise.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been experimenting with the mileage on my '07 Royal Star. I use 93 octane, synthetic oil, and I have K&N air filters. I get 38 - 42 mpg at 65 - 70 mph. If I slow down and really take my time on the flat roads of Florida not exceeding 55mph. I get 52-53 mpg. I can not believe the difference. However it is difficult fighting the urge to roll on the throttle. That is half the fun. But if you are not in a hurry and want to enjoy the ride..... slow down and see for yourself.

I have seen 42 riding slow in a group. If I'm pushing it a lot it drops to 34. It does vary with the carb synchronization. Recently I am averaging 38 on a 30 mile one way daily trip. Its a combination of 4 lane and 2 lane curvy that I know really well so I am going about as fast as on the 4 lane.

I have a 08 RSV and I did notice that after the 600 mile check up and everything the bike does run alot better. They did sync the carbs and stuff and I get around 44 one up taking it easy and around 37 if I run it alittle harder. Good luck