IGNORED

My bike dropped me yesterday.

Condor

So, the wife and kids are gone for the weekend, and I decided to ride around town and do a few errands. Take the cover off the scoot, and put 'er into warmup mode. Start to get the gear on, which is only the helmet, gloves, and Venture Royale T-Shirt, 'cause it's just up around the corner. Now I get on the bike from the right side when it's leaning to the left on the side stand. Kinda look like an olympian running the high hurdles. Well let me tell you, I kick my left leg into the air and get it about halfway acrossed the seat and low and behold the right knee decides to crumple like a bag of cheap chips. So there I am madly grabbing anything I can to reduce the pending impact. It ain't gonna happen. I hit the pavement flat on my back like a big sack of potatoes. All I could see was blue. I thought I'd died and gone to the big guy in the sky. After laying there for a bit I realized that, yes, I was still amongst the living. I started taking inventory of all the body parts. The knee hurt like 'H'. The right elbow was scrapped and bleeding. The elbow woulda been OK if I'd had the Jacket on. I waited for one of the neighbors to come give me a hand. No one was around, so that was out. The scoot is still merrily chugging in warm up mode, the lower right fairing sticking about 6 inches out from where it normally attaches to the frame. I think I distinctly heard the scoot say something like 'Dummy'. So it reaches down and give me a hand to my feet. I stand there a bit, and decide, WTH, and put the helmet on, go to the left side of the bike, grab my pant leg and guide my leg over the saddle, go do the errands, come back to the house, pop 2 motrin and 5 aspirins, and sit in the reclioner the rest of the day. So much for working on the '91 while mama's gone.....

I am so glad that I am not the only guy in here who has issues with knees and stuff that doesn cooperate anymore!

I am glad it youre ok and it wasnt a more serious drop, cause the bike coulda been damaged! and you know the old saying ....skin grows back plastic doesnt!

Brian

Jack, I wonder if you could message me me with the name of a motel close to you guys thats reasonable and clean.

Good thing you werent trying to support the bike when your knee collapsed. You could have been under it. I too have to mount from the highside as my left knee is shot. My right knee aint much better though. Joys of aging I guess. :bawling:

Sounds like the bike didn't go down, just you, right? And, you have a medical excuse. That doesn't count. Let me tell a tale told by an idiot . . .

My daughter's about to move to New Jersey and yesterday she wanted to go for a ride before she headed out. Great ride. Mostly flying around the flagpole, but we covered most of the county--all back roads. After 3 or 4 hours we decide to head back. Everything's fine.

Get to the driveway, stop, open the garage door, and start down into the garage. Made it in, everything's OK. (You don't know how this hurts to continue here . .) Now, and this is where the "stupid" comes in, I plant my right foot on the tool tray of my roll-around maintenance stool. The stool shot forward, the bike and I, and my daughter, shot to the right. The bike didn't go all the way down, the handle of my jack stopped it. HOWEVER, the bike won't start. Got all the flashing lights, fuel pump winding up, etc., but it's like the kill switch is engaged (but it isn't). I was too disgusted to check it out yesterday, and still haven't today. Maybe after it cools down a bit this evening.

My question is, since the bike didn't go all the way down, and since I didn't get beat up (nor did my daughter), does this count as a "drop" where I have to hit the 'donate' button?

Let me save you some time, folks, yes, I do feel like one of the old fools I used to make fun of. Actually, I still do, it's just that I'm one of them now.

I'll wait for your responses before I punch the button.

If it didnt hit the ground, it aint a drop save your money till the next time.........:stickpoke:

My question is, since the bike didn't go all the way down, and since I didn't get beat up (nor did my daughter), does this count as a "drop" where I have to hit the 'donate' button?

JACK,

PEED MYSELF WHILE READING YOUR POST..THAT WAS TOO DARN FUNNY..I COULD VISUALIZE MY SELF IN THE SAME SITUATION..I ALSO MOUNT FROM THE LEFT...GLAD YOUR OK..THANKS FOR PUTTING A SMILE ON MY FACE..A NEEDED A GOOD LAUGH TODAY..:rotf::rotf::rotf:

. . . HOWEVER, the bike won't start. Got all the flashing lights, fuel pump winding up, etc., but it's like the kill switch is engaged (but it isn't). I was too disgusted to check it out yesterday, and still haven't today. Maybe after it cools down a bit this evening.

When the book says it won't start with it in gear AND THE KICKSTAND DOWN, believe it. Clutch don't help in that situation. Put it in neutral and it works as advertised.

Don't ever do that again !!!

If you're talking to me, you can bet on it. Any time I'm not using the stool (the maintenance one), it will be lashed to the ceiling.

Oh, and thanks for the drop/no-drop explanation, DragonRider. That's almost another gallon of gas.

So, the wife and kids are gone for the weekend, and I decided to ride around town and do a few errands. Take the cover off the scoot, and put 'er into warmup mode. Start to get the gear on, which is only the helmet, gloves, and Venture Royale T-Shirt, 'cause it's just up around the corner. Now I get on the bike from the right side when it's leaning to the left on the side stand. Kinda look like an olympian running the high hurdles. Well let me tell you, I kick my left leg into the air and get it about halfway acrossed the seat and low and behold the right knee decides to crumple like a bag of cheap chips. So there I am madly grabbing anything I can to reduce the pending impact. It ain't gonna happen. I hit the pavement flat on my back like a big sack of potatoes. All I could see was blue. I thought I'd died and gone to the big guy in the sky. After laying there for a bit I realized that, yes, I was still amongst the living. I started taking inventory of all the body parts. The knee hurt like 'H'. The right elbow was scrapped and bleeding. The elbow woulda been OK if I'd had the Jacket on. I waited for one of the neighbors to come give me a hand. No one was around, so that was out. The scoot is still merrily chugging in warm up mode, the lower right fairing sticking about 6 inches out from where it normally attaches to the frame. I think I distinctly heard the scoot say something like 'Dummy'. So it reaches down and give me a hand to my feet. I stand there a bit, and decide, WTH, and put the helmet on, go to the left side of the bike, grab my pant leg and guide my leg over the saddle, go do the errands, come back to the house, pop 2 motrin and 5 aspirins, and sit in the reclioner the rest of the day. So much for working on the '91 while mama's gone.....

Glad you're OK.

Knees are great when they work.

Mine used to!

take care,

Tomephil

Sounds like the bike didn't go down, just you, right? And, you have a medical excuse. That doesn't count. Let me tell a tale told by an idiot . . .

My daughter's about to move to New Jersey and yesterday she wanted to go for a ride before she headed out. Great ride. Mostly flying around the flagpole, but we covered most of the county--all back roads. After 3 or 4 hours we decide to head back. Everything's fine.

Get to the driveway, stop, open the garage door, and start down into the garage. Made it in, everything's OK. (You don't know how this hurts to continue here . .) Now, and this is where the "stupid" comes in, I plant my right foot on the tool tray of my roll-around maintenance stool. The stool shot forward, the bike and I, and my daughter, shot to the right. The bike didn't go all the way down, the handle of my jack stopped it. HOWEVER, the bike won't start. Got all the flashing lights, fuel pump winding up, etc., but it's like the kill switch is engaged (but it isn't). I was too disgusted to check it out yesterday, and still haven't today. Maybe after it cools down a bit this evening.

Let me save you some time, folks, yes, I do feel like one of the old fools I used to make fun of. Actually, I still do, it's just that I'm one of them now.

I'll wait for your responses before I punch the button.

Glad you and your daughter are OK.

I hope the bike is good too.

Well, she had one last ride to remember.

When the book says it won't start with it in gear AND THE KICKSTAND DOWN, believe it. Clutch don't help in that situation. Put it in neutral and it works as advertised.

If you're talking to me, you can bet on it. Any time I'm not using the stool (the maintenance one), it will be lashed to the ceiling.

Oh, and thanks for the drop/no-drop explanation, DragonRider. That's almost another gallon of gas.

I would think a double dose on the donate button for leaving junk laying around that could hurt someone riding a Venture, or worse yet, hurt the Venture.

Now I get on the bike from the right side when it's leaning to the left on the side stand. Kinda look like an olympian running the high hurdles. ---Condor

Thats why I park my scoot in a Baxley la chock any time I am at home , theres no lean so I can get on from either side depending on which knee or hip aint working right,,,,lol!

Brian:stirthepot::stirthepot:

Condor,

Sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you are not seriously hurt. I don't wish to add salt to an injury but I feel compelled to offer a few tidbits of advice :backinmyday:that may help you avoid a similar incident in the future.

1. Be kind to your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone.

2. Safety gear, better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

3. Always be mindfull of Mr. Gravity, he can be a badass when we ignore his presence.

4. Avoid the cheap chips, they always short you on volumn so bag collapse easily.

5. Get one of those emergency alert thingys that notifies emergency response if you ever get in a situation where you have fallen and can't get up and no neighbors are close by.

6. Seek medical attention for head trauma if you hear your bike calling you names and it starts sprouting hands. No matter how much you love and respect her.

7. WALK IT OFF :dancefool:THEN RIDE IT OFF.:7_6_3[1]:

Hope it don't hurt much or for very long.

Oh yea, just one more thing.

Read my post on on 1st Gen tech talk titled Right Side Lean Stand Modification if you plan on continueing to mount your ride from the right hand side with it on the left side lean stand.

Can we spell 'Gun-Shy'.... :) I seriously doubt I'll ever do the high hurdle thing from the right side again.... :) The big reason I used that method was my back won't let my right leg swing high enough to get it over the saddle. So now I'm down to my last option. The old 'grab a fist full of Levi and lift the leg over'...from the left side... It ain't very cool looking, but it works... This AM the knee actually feels like it's going to make it. Motrin's an amazing thing...:thumbsup2:

Guest Vermincelli

Oh god this brought back a memory from childhood.

One of my Dad's buddies did the very same thing with his goldwing only he, in a panic, grabbed ahold of the handlebar and pulled the bike over on top of him. Ended up breaking an arm and a couple ribs and messed up his back.

Good thing you didn't do that, especially that you were home alone.