IGNORED

08 Ultra vs. 07 Venture

Eddy

A friend of my seems to think his new Ultra with new exhaust will hang with my Venture. I'm not the racing type, especially with friends but I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later. We've both got a lot of years riding experience. What can I expect the outcome to be, besides still being best friends.

Eddie

i raced 4 harleys at one time two up on my rstd, and three of them were two up. we were just coming on the highway. went by them like they were parked. would you believe the last guy gave me the finger. sore loser. mine had a dyna 3000, k&ns, and baron bag slashers. raced two harleys heads up at a stoplight the other night on my wing. one was probably stock the other one sounded bad. the light changed and i went back to my childhood and thought what the heck. had about 30 bikes on the hot one when i went to third.and quit. he finally caught me and went by in all his glory reving his engine and making all kinds of noise. he would have never caught me. i was'nt power shifting and did'nt get close to red line .no need to. :rotf::rotf:

Edited by wpredock

Folks, I'm not a Harley basher in the very least. I think they are a beautiful bike and have come close a couple of times to buying an Ultra...BUT....they will NOT run with the Venture. They just won't do it. Even with some of the upgrades...stage one..stage two..etc...they just won't do it. They are a different beast the the owners do not buy them because they think they are fast. I think your friend is in for a real surprise.

That depends does he have Screamin Eagle parts in that thing? He might give you a run for your money!

My son has "stage 1" Screaming Eagle (I think it's called stage 1).... anyway, apparently all that is is some added chrome trim, pipes, and "Screaming Eagle" labels. For the "real" performance parts, one needs "Stage 2".

(as I understand it)

don , i hang out at a biker bar once in awhile. a good biker bar. and as you said most harleys are pretty docile. we get a good show once in awhile out there. some of them harleys do impress me. i saw a guy get sideways on one, one time, on a second gear shift. there are some that are really built. you can tell by the sound. some of the built harley really sound healthy. i live in harley country. surrounded by old school harley dealers.that know how to put them together. me and allanh stop at that bar once in awhile. it's quite a car and motorcycle show. :2133:

don , i hang out at a biker bar once in awhile. a good biker bar. and as you said most harleys are pretty docile. we get a good show once in awhile out there. some of them harleys do impress me. i saw a guy get sideways on one, one time, on a second gear shift. there are some that are really built. you can tell by the sound. some of the built harley really sound healthy. i live in harley country. surrounded by old school harley dealers.that know how to put them together. me and allanh stop at that bar once in awhile. it's quite a car and motorcycle show. :2133:

and what biker bar is that wpredock.....LOL Just ordered a metzeler for the rear of my venture from Chesterfield today, dang stock Bridgestone didn't make 6,000 miles. Anyone know where I can find flagtop eagle for my flag? Guess mine unscrewed itself noticed it missing after a ride the other day.

Guest tx2sturgis

When your doing this, if you get to hear the Harley start up, listen for the distinct sound of a compression release. If you hear that, you will have a run for your money, so better be prepared to see him (or her!) get off the line quick. Its gonna be a bit before you catch him, but you probably will.

If its just a Stage 1 or Stage 2, you will not have much to worry about.

Twin Cam Engines are (normally) all about torque, not high rpm horsepower.

Stage 1 is: ECM remapping, free flowing exhaust, and free flowing aircleaner.

Stage 2 can be either, Stage 1 plus moderate cams, or big bore, or stroker kit, or all the above.

Stage 3-4 is all the above plus high compression, ( maybe race pistons) with a compression release, blueprinting, porting, polishing, aggressive cams, and maybe, new heads, performance clutch, possibly a re-geared driveline, performance ignition, and highly remapped ECM, and maybe some other assorted bits, bringing the HP up to around 120-180. Some of these bikes run 'av-gas'. Watch out for these. These bikes will sound VERY healthy when starting up. You may hear the starter smack against the flywheel, as the compression release kicks in. (Note: Some riders cant use all that performance, as it makes the bike a bit edgy...there are not many of these around, but there are a few)

If you ever run against one of these, please get video!

:080402gudl_prv:

If you see a nitrous bottle or a turbo or supercharger, probably best to just buy the guy a drink instead of racing him.

Edited by tx2sturgis

and what biker bar is that wpredock.....LOL Just ordered a metzeler for the rear of my venture from Chesterfield today, dang stock Bridgestone didn't make 6,000 miles. Anyone know where I can find flagtop eagle for my flag? Guess mine unscrewed itself noticed it missing after a ride the other day.
it's the bar out in defiance on the katy trail. let me know will all ride out there some saturday and get a soda . bill

well being the old man I am racing is not my thing,If it was I would not have bought a venture. I think the true test for these 2 bikes is how far can I ride comfortably and how far will it go and not break down. I have my own opinion on that. That is why I have big blue.

:7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]:

Guest Highway

Just remember...tap your break lights as soon as your in front then get off the gas. No sence in showing him everything you have. The breaklights kill them...

:rotfl::banana::rotf::stirthepot::322:

Better have it looked at. I haven't had an HD that can keep up. Mine's an 05. You are winding it out right. Wind it out a couple of times till you hear it start missing and the oil light flashes. That's the rev limit kicking. Also you should be able to run 85 in 3rd.

Guest tx2sturgis
I must have a slow 2nd gen. Stock HDs run even with me and Screaming Beagles pull away from me. My VTX 1800 is way faster and one friends built up HD pulls away from my X.

Hmm..might be time to check some things.

Carbs, fuel filter, spark plugs...you should be able to pull away from a Stock or Stage One Dresser or Softail after a few shifts...Buells and V-rods will probably stomp any Venture.