IGNORED

Out of State Purchase

Relaxin

I need the help of all you ebayers out there or anyone who has purchased a bike out of state. I purchased a bike(1st Gen) out of state and I'm going to pick it up this weekend. As of right now my plan is to ride 2 up with the wife and then I'll ride the new bike back. I need to know what all (paperwork) I'll have to have to be able to ride the new back back from PA to NC. I know I have to have it on my insurance but what about tags? Can I purchase a temp tag from NC even tho I don't have the title yet? These are the type of things I need your help on. If anyone could please share their knowledge and/or experience it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Semper Fi,

Jerry

OH, this will be my first ride on a 1st Gen ... I'm used to the 2d Gen... any points or words of wisdom there would be helpful too! Thanks!!!!

Jerry,

Now dont take this as the gospel, as I'm no expert, but I would think that all of your paperwork will be done at your DMV or secretary of state or license beurau (sp?) You'll have to get the VIN # and give them the proof of insurance. I dont believe that you'll have to deal with the out of state licensing as this would mean a double hit for you.

Now going from a 2nd gen to a 1st, the 1st will turn much faster. Your inputs in the handlebars will be immediately felt. If it doesn't have highway pegs...BUY SOME the foot position is totally different and you'll want to stretch your legs out. They are great machines, but are a total different beast handling wise from the G2

It will vary by state in tx you can buy a 30 day permit for about $5. here you would need the s/n and proof of ins. Check with your dmv they will have some provision for temp permit and what documents you will need to register it.

being that it is a first gen your best bet would be to take a haul vehicle so you can get it home after it breaks down.:stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Edited by Redneck

I am checking with a guy who bought a bike from me to see if he remembers all the fees.

We used a local Notary to complete the paper work to get him back home legal. I will let you know when I hear back from him. I am in PA he was from Louisiana.

Dave

It varies by State.

From Calif thru Ore. the Temp permit from Calif was good.

But going Thru Wa. I had to buy a Temp Permit to travel across state of Wa. until I got home, and bought the Tags.

I did the same on another car from Colorado. Their permit was good thru Wyo, and Idaho, But again I had to get a Temp Wa. state and take it with me.

So, morel of story is, check with Each state you will be driveing Thru.

Or the DMV where you buy the vehical, may be able to give you all the Info.

Here the e-mail I was waiting for.........

Dave,

I think she charged me about 60 bucks. In Louisiana plates are transferrable, I don't know about PA to NC, though. All the buyer has to do is have his notarized bill of sale, notarized title or copy of it, and have his insurance company fax to him in PA a temporary proof of insurance and he can ride the bike home. Unless I'm mistaken he will have from a 10 to 30 day grace period in which to register it and pay his state taxes in almost all states.

Hope this helps..we went through a local notary at a mobile home sales office, since single wides also have a title.

When I bought by 88 last year in Illinois, I trailered it home, but, was told that I could have purchased a temp tag from IL and rode it back to Ohio. Some insurance companies (Allstate will) will cover a purchase for 30 days IF you give them a heads up on the purchase and let them know you are bringing it back to your home state.

If the bike has current registration and you have the signed off title and bill of sale, ride the thing home and don't worry about it. If the bike has been sitting for a couple of years, and the registration has expired, I'd haul it home in a trailer. That's what I did when I picked up the '93 in Tucson. Trailered it over to the DMV when I got here and they checked the Vin# to the title and registered it in California. I built my 30' sailboat trailer from scratch in Reno Nev I had to get a temp permit to bring it down the hill to Sacramento since it had never been registered or titled.

I need the help of all you ebayers out there or anyone who has purchased a bike out of state. I purchased a bike(1st Gen) out of state and I'm going to pick it up this weekend. As of right now my plan is to ride 2 up with the wife and then I'll ride the new bike back. I need to know what all (paperwork) I'll have to have to be able to ride the new back back from PA to NC. I know I have to have it on my insurance but what about tags? Can I purchase a temp tag from NC even tho I don't have the title yet? These are the type of things I need your help on. If anyone could please share their knowledge and/or experience it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Semper Fi,

Jerry

OH, this will be my first ride on a 1st Gen ... I'm used to the 2d Gen... any points or words of wisdom there would be helpful too! Thanks!!!!

Jerry,

I spoke with Dunkle Services, which again is a messenger service near me.

you will need:

1-your license

2-proof of insurance

they will issue a temp tag for $10 plus a $15 service fee. plus notary fee $5-$10.

This office needs the seller to be present to sign off on the title, they want to witness the sighning.

Seller will need:

1- drivers license

2- and of course the title

3- insurance card

You will pay taxes if any in your home state.

For AAA..they call it a intransit tag..

members: $8 for tag $15 issue fee

non-members: $10 for tag $25 issue fee

they also require drivers license and insurance information for both buyer/seller.

You should ask the seller to locate a AAA office, messenger service,local notary, etc. to find someone who is open on the weekend!

I know a lot of us purchase bikes and trailers out of our home state.

There was an article in the paper about a week ago in which an avid camper purchased a camper trailer in Wisconson directly from the manufacturer in order to save some money. He drove up and picked his trailer and paid local, Wisconson, sales tax, 5.5% I believe it was. When he got home and tried to register the trailer he was told by the Arkansas department of finance and administration that he would have to pay Arkansas sales tax as well. In Arkansas sales tax, on vehicles/trailer, is collected when you first apply for tags.

Check where you live and make sure that you won't have to pay double sales tax. The tax might negate any savings you have made by purchasing out of state.

I bought a car in Pennsylvania and they required me to have some sort of plate. Either their temporary or mine I borrowed a friends in-transit plate instead of paying the 60 bucks to PA. In Illinois you have 1 business day to get plates as long as you have proof of sale and title which I think is more reasonable. (Whoops I said Illinois was reasonable)

I have purchased many out of state bikes, all you need is your insurance card on the new bike which the agent can email you and a bill of sale. Normally if the bill of sale is signed and only a day or so old if you were to get stopped the cops will let you go if you say you just picked the bike up and are taking it home.

No need to make it complicated. I bought my '97 RSTD on Ebay from a fellow in Fresno, CA. I flew out there, paid him, notified my insurance carrier, got on it and rode it back to Montgomery, AL. His license plate was still valid. No big deal.

If the bike has current registration and you have the signed off title and bill of sale, ride the thing home and don't worry about it. If the bike has been sitting for a couple of years, and the registration has expired, I'd haul it home in a trailer. That's what I did when I picked up the '93 in Tucson. Trailered it over to the DMV when I got here and they checked the Vin# to the title and registered it in California. I built my 30' sailboat trailer from scratch in Reno Nev I had to get a temp permit to bring it down the hill to Sacramento since it had never been registered or titled.

I just went to Uhaul and rented a bike trailer for 20 bucks a day and hauled my 85 home. I took it directly over to the Motor licensing office and had them check the VIn right there ( and they check the engine id here also to make sure it matches to the bike) paid my money took her and unloaded her into the garage.

Brian

Jerry you have 15 days in the state of NC to register a vehicle.You can use your tag to go get the bike and will not be breaking the law until you put the tag back on the 2 gen.

If you decide to trailer the bike you can stop by the house in Hertford and get my trailer and straps.

Jeff