IGNORED

Trikes in Canada

rymaggs

Hey has anyone got any info on bringing Trikes into Canada from the states??? I was told yseterday that if I was to convert my bike to a Trike or buy a Trike in the USA and tried to register it in Canada they would not allow it. This came from Canadian Customs.

Hey has anyone got any info on bringing Trikes into Canada from the states??? I was told yseterday that if I was to convert my bike to a Trike or buy a Trike in the USA and tried to register it in Canada they would not allow it. This came from Canadian Customs.

Ive seen quite a few around town, so they are getting them from somewhere. Call Canada revenue and Customs and get the procedures and policies. Or better yet your provincial highway traffic dept. or the OPP to ask your question.

You would prbably have to take it somwhere and have it checked and safetied at your expense, but I dont think customs can dictate what type of unit you can bring into the country.(but I have been wrong on more than one occasion in the past...lol)

Whether you can get it insured or not is up to the issuer, however.

Brian

Edited by friesman

My girlfriend was given a Reliant Rialto (three wheeler) when her friends emigrated to Canada ten years ago, largely because they were told that they are illegal in Canada. Subsequently they found out that that was not actually true, but my girlfriend still has the car. :hurts: And it's beautiful (so she says).

Before you do anything get as many details as you can on the trike and check it out with your insurance company. I hear they are very 'sticky' about trikes. From what i have also heard only several styles of trikes are 'legal' in Canada. I guess there are always ways around that. My friend has a Harley with a Motor Trike conversion...converted in Canada by a Canadian dealer and he had some issues getting it insured. I also know a reputable dealer who sells Lehman Trike conversions here and has for many years. Good luck!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Before you do anything get as many details as you can on the trike and check it out with your insurance company. I hear they are very 'sticky' about trikes. From what i have also heard only several styles of trikes are 'legal' in Canada. I guess there are always ways around that. My friend has a Harley with a Motor Trike conversion...converted in Canada by a Canadian dealer and he had some issues getting it insured. I also know a reputable dealer who sells Lehman Trike conversions here and has for many years. Good luck!

Leeman puts out some really nice & sharp looking stuff and his shop is about 15 miles from me here in West Virginia in the city of Martinsburg.

• 3 months later...
I would think that some of these dealers that are installing kits and advertising that they will sell to Canada should know what the scoop is on sending trikes north across the border

My partner from here on the Gulfcoast tried to ride his 'California Sidecar' trike into Canada but was stopped and told it could not enter because it did not have a 'parking brake' Go figure......

My partner from here on the Gulfcoast tried to ride his 'California Sidecar' trike into Canada but was stopped and told it could not enter because it did not have a 'parking brake' Go figure......

That's odd because I've been to Canada several times in the last year and half with my trike and no one has ever questioned us about stuff of this nature. Just the usual questions pertaining to our destination etc. Of course we've only gone to Ontario so maybe other Provinces have different rules. Or the person at the check point is being "picky".

Larry