IGNORED

Scary Canadian Insurance Rates....

Semi-retired

Forgive me for not having been on the forums (fora?) for a while.......but, has anyone brought up a discussion on affordable insurance lately?

I'm with a broker called Dalton Timmis out of Burlington/Ancaster, who I think have me with an insurer called Elite(?).

My "comprehensive" package on my '03 Midnight Venture comes to $988.

Am I getting hosed?

Anyone else riding in Canada getting a good rate from a broker they can recommend?

Thanks for any tips.

Mike.

Here in Sask. we have to buy our insurance thru the "mother" corporation (Saskatchewan Govt Insurance)and my 85 1st Gen costs me 749 bucks a year for 1mil liability, estimated value replacement less my 700 buck deductible. PLus they know that I can only ride for a max of 7 months most years! Thats only 264 bucks a year less than I pay for my 1 year old SUV that I drive year round! for the same type of coverage.

What bugs me is that I have no choice, I have to support this oldschool govt agency and if I have an issue with them I cant even change....

Brian

Edited by friesman

Guest BluesLover

I pay $812 a year for my 06 (that's for $1M Liability and $500 deductible on collision and comprehensive). I'm with The Personal.

Cheers,

Welcome to British Columbia where you will find the highest insurance in North America. More of that government run crap for the good of the people.

No accidents, no speeding tickets, no nothing

For one year on an 2003 Vulcan Classic valued at $7500

Basic Insurance

$1009.00 with 1,000,000 third party liabiltiy

Optional Coverage

All Perils which is Collision/Comprehensive with a $1000 deductible

Included is $100 emergency road service (whoopee!!)

$387

That`s a grand total of $1396.00 for one year of riding pleasure. Top that one!!!!!!

In Canada, check with your broker or find a broker that deals with Jevco. They specialize in bikes. I pay about $650 for a year full coverage with $500 deductable.

I have not found anyone cheaper. Trust me, I keep trying.

I'm with Jevco through Dalton Timmis in Burlington. I pay $700/year on a '85 VR to have one million liability and no collision. If I brake it, I still own the pieces.

I can't speak for anyone else here about income, but on a personal note, I make ALOT of money delivering newspapers. :hihi: I do better after collection day. :hihi:

Guest BluesLover
The good part is you can insure it for as many months as you want.
That's not an option with my insurance company. I pay the $812 a year, regardless of how many months I ride her ... and can't pay by the month.

Cheers,

This is what it would cost for your Vulcan in Manitoba, registered in Winnipeg, 500 DED, 1,000,000 liability. 25% discount for good driving record.

Estimate for:

2003 KAWASAKI VN900 VULCAN CLASSIC 2008 Rates

Effective Mar 01, 20082007 Rates

Effective Mar 01, 2007Basic Insurance Premium

$1,480

$1,441

Collision Deductible

$0

$0

Comprehensive Deductible

$162

$167

Third Party Liability

$15

$15

Interest and Administration Fee

$0

$0

Total Insurance Cost

$1,657

$1,623

Registration Charge

$89

$69

Plate Use Charge

$4

$4

Total Registration Cost

$93

$73

TOTAL ESTIMATE

$1,750

$1,696

and for the RSV in Winnipeg

Estimate for:

2003 YAMAHA ROYAL STAR VENTURE 2008 Rates

Effective Mar 01, 20082007 Rates

Effective Mar 01, 2007Basic Insurance Premium

$1,480

$1,441

Collision Deductible

$0

$0

Comprehensive Deductible

$162

$167

Third Party Liability

$15

$15

Interest and Administration Fee

$0

$0

Total Insurance Cost

$1,657

$1,623

Registration Charge

$89

$69

Plate Use Charge

$4

$4

Total Registration Cost

$93

$73

TOTAL ESTIMATE

$1,750

$1,696

Prices are the same as it depends on the value of the bike.

The value for both bikes used the $8000 - $14000 option

Forgive me for not having been on the forums (fora?) for a while.......but, has anyone brought up a discussion on affordable insurance lately?

I'm with a broker called Dalton Timmis out of Burlington/Ancaster, who I think have me with an insurer called Elite(?).

My "comprehensive" package on my '03 Midnight Venture comes to $988.

Am I getting hosed?

Anyone else riding in Canada getting a good rate from a broker they can recommend?

Thanks for any tips.

Mike.

HOSED ??

YES! Repeatedly and with out a kiss!

Guest divey

I am also with JEVCO and paid $642 for 12 months, 1 million coverage with 500 deductible, full coverage on my 07 RSV. I've been with the Personal Ins. Co. for about 20 years for my house, vehicles, etc. but when I inquired last year about insuring my scoot, they basically told me that they preferred to stay away from insuring m/c's. I believe they did give me a quote and it was just over a thousand dollars. I ended up with JEVCO through the Alberta Motor Association which I'm a member of and that is the insurance company they deal with for bikes. Like anything else with insurance companies however is what are they going to be like to deal with if you have to put in a claim. The Personal Ins. Co. is excellent to deal with in that regard for the couple of claims I've had over the years. Hopefully I never have to find out what JEVCO is like!!

Doug

In Canada, check with your broker or find a broker that deals with Jevco. They specialize in bikes. I pay about $650 for a year full coverage with $500 deductable.

Thats is precisely what bugs my butt around here is that I do not have any choices. The government run insurance company is the only insurance company I can buy my car or bike insurance from. Even if it was cheap I should still have the choice on whether to buy from them or not!!!

Brian:mo money::mo money:

Yes well B.C. is the same. No choice on the basic. Its with ICBC and that's it. On secondary coverage there are couple of choices. When I was in Alberta my basic was exactly half what it is in B.C.

:shock3: Good God guys..... check around. I am with The Personnal Ins. Company and I pay $154 a month (direct withdrawl) for our house (6 acres with out buildings), my wifes van, my F150 truck, a boat and my RSV all in a bundle for full coverage on everything.

You've got to be able to do better than $1k for just a bike.

Isn't the Personal a dedicated Military/DND insurance? I have a friend who crashed his bike on a run last year, it took him a little under 12 months to get payment. My ex-son inlaw got side swiped on his car last year and still doesn't have payment.

Personal is cheap but not very reliable when it comes to payment.

Guest BluesLover
Isn't the Personal a dedicated Military/DND insurance? I have a friend who crashed his bike on a run last year, it took him a little under 12 months to get payment. My ex-son inlaw got side swiped on his car last year and still doesn't have payment.

Personal is cheap but not very reliable when it comes to payment.

Can't be, 'cause I ain't either military or DND and I'm covered by them. I do think though that they "specialize" in group insurance (I am with the through my employer).

I haven't actually had any problems in having them cover claims - had one with the house a few years back (a chimney fire) and my someone hit my son's car while he was at work. Could be a regional thing.

Cheers,

I have the same coverage as you and haven't found anybody cheaper.

Ron

Woo hoo!

I knew there was a reason for living in Oz.

I pay $430 a year comprehensive insurance for an agreed value of $22,000 for my 2004 RSV. That includes $5Million public liability, and damage to helmet and leathers if I come off.

First problem - You live in Ontario

Second Problem - You live in a city

You can only compare insurance rates to those in a similar situation but then that could be way off as well.

It's all based on where you live, your record, years of insured riding, experience, value of bike, typical cost of repairs to that specific bike, theft probability, own outright, or financed, insured type (pleasure or main transportation) etc.....

I move from a large city (500,000 people) in 2000 to a smaller town (25,000 people) and my insurance dropped quite a bit.

My neighbor, got his M1 and wanted to buy a 2008 Honda Shadow 750. His insurance quotes were from $5000 to 1800 a year. He ended up dropping the whole idea and let his M1 lapse. He just couldn't afford a bike payment and insurance.

I pay $374yr for PL/PD with 2 mil on it. If I add collision it jumps to $780 a year for my 2002 Roadstar.

The PL/PD charge hasn't changed since I moved in 2000. Even though I went through a 86 Intruder to a 85 Virago to the 85 Venture and now the 2002 Roadstar.

Rates are all over the map in the Maritimes. I was quoted locally anywhere from 600-900 dollars for PL/PD $1M liability and no collision or theft. I ended up buying from RBC Insurance 3 years ago online for about $375. This year it dropped to $325 for the same coverage. A lot of bikers here use Primmum but I found RBC a bit cheaper.