IGNORED

Heeeelp..!!!!!!

dr.nemo

I don't have a carb tune or colour tune "tool" but I am guessing that in my case just looking at my carbs while the bike is running I should be able to sync my carbs a little better than what they are now...

Bike starts and runs great,, however she runs really really rich... So bad that the fumes of gas are unreal at various different times (decelerating, idling, etc..).

On a weekend ride to NY State I averaged just 200 km's (120 miles) per tank full..!!!! Its cheaper for me to drive my car....

I feel that they are just so out of whack that I should be able to make some sort of improvement.

So any opinions from you experts would be greatly appreciated as to whether it is worth my time to sync these carbs just by looking at them while running the bike, or should I wait and get them tuned properly.. ..:confused07::confused07:

No, you cant adjust them without a tool properly. All it may need is a slight 1/16" adjustment on a screw and visually you would not be able to feel this with any degree of accuracy. My bike ran very rich even after several carbtunes. Once I had a colortune done it runs way better.

This is just a thought, but have you adjusted your idle mixture screws lately?? You also might have a float that's sticking and your pumping fuel out while riding via one of the overflow tubes...ergo the strong fuel odor. Don't try syncing anything until you've checked other options...

Ever since I've had my bike carb sync has been an on going problem. Early in my ownership I paid a shop $1,400 to rebuild, tune, and sync my carbs and they actually screwed them up worse than they were before. I've replaced my carbs, rebuilt my carbs, replaced my motor, installed new diaphrams and have never been able to get the carbs exactly synced untill this past week. I got them close enough for it to run pretty good by tunning by ear, trying to measure screw-in length on adjustment screws.

But, last week during the West Virginia Skid-In M & E, Squidley put some Morgan Mercury gauges on the bike and I could see for the first time exactly what the carbs were doing. 1, 2 & 4 were semi close but #3 wasn't even in the ball park. In just a matter of minutes Squidley made some adjustments and I could see on the gauges how all four carbs came in sync. As soon as we got finished with the sync we all saddled up for and all day group ride. I could immediatly tell the difference in power, speed and performance. The sync increased mpg by at least 10 mpg's From that point I rode 1500 miles through West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, and back to Georgia. MyMileage averaged between 39.5 and 41.5 mpg which is better than it's ever done.

Find a way to get the carb sync. There are multiple articles on carb sync proceedure and tools in the tech tip library. It does make a big difference.

I see you are in the Niagra Falls area.

So, I'm going to go waaaay out on a limb here.

I would be willing to venture (pun) that if you could stop by the International Ralley site you would probably be able to locate at least one or two folks with a Morgan Carbtune in their tool kit.

But, I'm only speculating here.

:15_8_211[1]:

I see you are in the Niagra Falls area.

So, I'm going to go waaaay out on a limb here.

I would be willing to venture (pun) that if you could stop by the International Ralley site you would probably be able to locate at least one or two folks with a Morgan Carbtune in their tool kit.

But, I'm only speculating here.

:15_8_211[1]:

YEP .. Squidley is here right now and brought his carb sync as well as colour sync. I think you should stop in at Bingemans and check out the venture ralley.... If you don't want to join our rides then the Wednesday afternoon is sort of set aside for seeing the Yamaha reps and Plastex demo as well as swapping tall tales... :-)

Wayne

Well thank you for all the responses/offers/tips, I am going to be in Kitchener for the ride tomorrow,(hoping for lots of fuel stops tho...LOL), so from what I am reading, Wednesday would be a good day for a huge favour, by some knowledgeable people..??

I was thinking about an air/fuel mixture screw or idle mixture, but haven't really worked on a bike...(didn't want to screw up what I've got)..Cars with carbs seem a whole lot easier to me...

During startup/warmup(when it was cooler, and using choke) I seem to have more black carbon on the floor of garage under the left side tailpipe than the right side... so I am guessing its either of the two carbs on the left side that are the worst...

I hate imposing on people, but obviously I can't do this myself...

Looking forward to meeting/riding with you folks, and maybe doing a bit of work too...

Carl I was at your house for your meet n eat this year, so if all else fails yes I know where you live....and thnx...

thanks

Brian..

Well thank you for all the responses/offers/tips, I am going to be in Kitchener for the ride tomorrow,(hoping for lots of fuel stops tho...LOL), so from what I am reading, Wednesday would be a good day for a huge favour, by some knowledgeable people..??

I was thinking about an air/fuel mixture screw or idle mixture, but haven't really worked on a bike...(didn't want to screw up what I've got)..Cars with carbs seem a whole lot easier to me...

During startup/warmup(when it was cooler, and using choke) I seem to have more black carbon on the floor of garage under the left side tailpipe than the right side... so I am guessing its either of the two carbs on the left side that are the worst...

I hate imposing on people, but obviously I can't do this myself...

Looking forward to meeting/riding with you folks, and maybe doing a bit of work too...

Carl I was at your house for your meet n eat this year, so if all else fails yes I know where you live....and thnx...

thanks

Brian..

What ever side you ride on is good with me, just so long as you get it fixed up.