IGNORED

WANT TO TALK TO ANOTHER BIKE w/o AUDIO

Hey folks.....does anyone have a suggestion about what my wife and I need to buy for her bike, which does not have any audio equipment, so that we can talk to one another when riding together???

We've considered a CB for her as well as walkie talkies, bike to bike intercoms, etc. It seems a shame not to choose an option whereby we use something that is already on the Venture and supplement what we need for her bike. ANY SUGGESTIONS? ANYONE TRIED THIS (successfully !) ALREADY?

Tom

A friend bought the Cardo Scala Rider Q2. It supposedly talks to other Q2's within 1000 feet. (I suppose it uses the intercom feature to do this) It has a good Bluetooth and the intercom function between passenger/rider works well.

He called me from the bluetooth through his cel / GPS and it sounded better than his cel phone without the bluetooth.

Regards, Ponch

I got my wife a inexpensive CB setup from Sierra - it consists of a Cobra handheld CB and a mount with a push to talk button, and 5 Pin DIN plug. This allows her to use the same helmet mic setup as the one on the Venture (so she does not need an additional mic or helmet). I purchased and additional external mounted attenna for this as well. Total cost of the setup was around 250.00. It works quite well for just CB. Not quite the quality of the JM - but the JM will set you back a lot more. The CB can run for 20 hours on 8 "AA" or has a hard wire kit. We put the CB in a windsheild bag for her.

Stuart

Go with a CB, the J&M is not cheap, but works well, and with the CB you have the option of joining in with other groups, and also getting traffic info that you can't get with other systems.

I would go with the J&M also, you have the option to put an MP3 player into it as well as bluetooth if you buy an adapter if I'm not mistaken.

I got my wife a inexpensive CB setup from Sierra - it consists of a Cobra handheld CB and a mount with a push to talk button, and 5 Pin DIN plug. This allows her to use the same helmet mic setup as the one on the Venture (so she does not need an additional mic or helmet). I purchased and additional external mounted attenna for this as well. Total cost of the setup was around 250.00. It works quite well for just CB. Not quite the quality of the JM - but the JM will set you back a lot more. The CB can run for 20 hours on 8 "AA" or has a hard wire kit. We put the CB in a windsheild bag for her.

Stuart

I had the same set up for my Voyager. Took it off when I sold it and had it sitting in my garage for 3 years. Gave it away 3 months ago...sorry, I woulda let you have it. It worked well except the headset was kinda cheap. I used the stock antenna since I only used ot when group riding.

Go with a CB, the J&M is not cheap, but works well, and with the CB you have the option of joining in with other groups, and also getting traffic info that you can't get with other systems.

I've been trying to find a use for that thing for over a year now !!! All I ever hear is Mexicans making lame jokes and using language that would make a sailor blush. You can't hardly even get a radio check any more without someone telling you to go f*** yourself!!!

If I were were you I'd buy some Walkie talkies on FMRS. Costco is selling some nice Motorolas for $79. You get three units with charger which include button earphones with keyed mikes and cover the FMRS & GMRS bands with a huge number of security codes which should block out all those garbage-mouths. Plus you get all 11 USGS weather stations. For the price you can't beat it.

I have a blueant supertooth for the car. I have a cardo scala teamset for 2-up...works at very little distance between two bikes.

You might look at http://www.myblueant.com/interphone-motorbike-helmet-kit.htm.

Wireless headset for your Bluetooth enabled cell phone at a

range of up to 33 feet (10 metres)

> Bike-to-bike Intercom* for rider & passenger or two separate

bikes up to 490 feet (150 metres)

> World class Digital Signal Processor (DSP) for noise and

echo reduction

> Excellent performance at speeds of up to 80mph (130 Km/h)

> Microphone incorporates anti-noise and anti-wind feature

> All weather, water resistant including heavy rain

> Large multi-function button for easy use with gloves on

> Full duplex

> Automatic volume adjustment depending on speed induced

environmental noise

> Configurable with Bluetooth Headset compatible GPS devices

> Easily mounts to all full faced and open faced helmets

> 2 clip mounts included - Clamp mount and Adhesive

> Voice answer, voice dialing & redial

> Up to 10 hours talk time when connected to your cell phone

> Up to 5 hours talk time when using the Intercom* feature

> Up to 700 hours standby

> 2 year replacement warranty

Guest cwil2988

saw something in my Star touring mag about a free bluetooth with the purchase of Scala team set for members

THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS FOR CHIMING IN.

This site is a real help.

I think we'll opt for the Sierra CB system. Biggest reason...it has the 5-pin plug and our helmuts are already wired. Also, we tour with other riders who use CB Channel 1. We do not get the profane chatter on there.

OK, so where do I purchase this system? I'll search on-line unless someone knows the best source.

THANKS AGAIN !!!

tom

OK...I'm confused....that is not a surprise these days...and I'm a techno idiot.

I looked on the Sierra Web Site. They had a Cobra HH38WXST radio KIT listed with a headset, mount, ratio etc. However, it clearly stated it was an IMC setup and "CANNOT BE USED ON A 5-PIN DYNAMIC SYSTEM".

I thought someone said there was a model which plugged directly into the headset phones (5-pin) which we use on the Venture.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks again.

tom

Tom,

The IMC setup I believe uses a Firewire connection to the plug. But Sierra also sells a version (think you have to call them) that uses the 5 PIN DIN connection. Also the Airrider site (second link) sells the 5 pin connection as well.

Stu

OK...I'm confused....that is not a surprise these days...and I'm a techno idiot.

I looked on the Sierra Web Site. They had a Cobra HH38WXST radio KIT listed with a headset, mount, ratio etc. However, it clearly stated it was an IMC setup and "CANNOT BE USED ON A 5-PIN DYNAMIC SYSTEM".

I thought someone said there was a model which plugged directly into the headset phones (5-pin) which we use on the Venture.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks again.

tom

It has nothing to do with the 5 pin system on your Venture or RSTD. I thought you were looking for something for your wife's bike? If so, it is just a CB to be mounted on here bike and you will use the CB already present on your bike to communicate with her.

If you are simply looking for bike to bike withoug the CB...like an Intercom...there is nothing that I know of that would integrate with the system on your Venture.

+1 On the J&M2003 CB system .. Yes it is pricey, but IMHO the most reliable

of all the radios out there with a lot of other options, AM/FM or XM or Sirus, or Ipod or

any walkman or totally quiet if that is what she would prefer .. I have the J&M CB with

XM on my wifes Vulcan .. She loves it ..

Greetings...

I'd go with a good GMRS set (Good luck finding a GOOD set though) - over CB for a number of reasons...

Even a GOOD Bike mounted CB is rather short range. 2 miles line of sight - TOPS!

Even those hideous ultra cheapo $39 a pair radio shack 8 mile (2.5 - 3 in reality) units outperforms ANY cb setup short of the ultra-Uber-redneck Gearjamming 18 wheeler...

The instant you get seperated on the road, and you take an exit and she didn't - you'll regret you didn't get those 28 mile (good for only about 10 - cut any milage claim in half and drop all fractions of 10 ) GMRS radios. Ask me how I know...

Seeing her in your mirror a couple of miles back and spending the next 30 minutes of "can you hear me? Can you hear me now? Can you hear me now?" - a total waste of time and not why you ride...

If you don't MIND paying for 2 hotel rooms - 150 miles apart tonight - Go ahead and use CB. As for CB functionality for road info? Virtually Useless. I recently made a 2k mile trip and I never once heard even 1 other voice on ANY channel - other than mexican truck drivers that is. I live in an area that used to be CB hell! So much chatter that finding ANY open channel was near impossible at any time day or night. But that was 10 years ago - Now - There's NOTHING on CB anymore. It's like no one is even using them anymore. So good luck trying to use channel 9 and getting ANY kind of emergency responce. Go ahead and factor that fantasy right out of the equation...

Sure it's fun in a group ride and there's a lot of useless fun chatter at biker events. But when you NEED to communicate clearly with the Significant other - Having 143 channels times 30 some-odd privacy codes = > 4200 channels to choose from that aren't being used by blathering drunken morons stepping on your signal - especially if you are talking her in from 10 miles away because one or the other of you took a wrong turn that the other missed. Well you get the picture. Communication 1st - entertainment 2nd...

GMRS is crystal clear - compared to the foggy noise of CB...

Most group riders I've met these days ALSO use or have GMRS! - Why use 40 year old technology CB ? Can you even still buy a GMRS these days that DOESN'T have the NOAA weather channels? Oh and you can actually receive NOAA weather on your AM/FM radio nearly everywhere these days anyway - so it's redundant. Which is I suppose a good thing...

Most GMRS handsets are cheaper and better than any CB. Why no one makes a GMRS set that ISN'T a walkie talkie type is beyond my understanding. If they exist - I haven't seen any. It doesn't need a long expensive heavy antenna - no SWR nonsense - a small velcro mount would do just fine that you can stick on just about anywhere

I can't imagine that there ISN'T a market for a small installable bike powered fully functional NON-portable GMRS that integrates directly into the standard 5 pin intercom system - for less than $50! Every biker in america would buy it ! I know I would! Yet everything I've seen so far is that flimsy chinese made walkie talkie junk - with their flimsy overpriced junk accessories, and p*ss poor walkie talkie two handed button placement engineering. Just sweat once on one of those cheap $20 earpieces and it's forever useless! And who the heck in their correct mind designs a ptt button directly on the microphone? It's insanity I tell you!! Have you even seen these cheesy belt clips they come with? Purposefully designed for you to lose it!

I want a unit that has a standard plug in auto radio power recepticle, rubber armored waterproof box that houses the electronics, replaceable wired antenna with a stick-on rubber mount (screws optional), a replaceable wired backlit LCD with a LARGE display - I don't want to have to wear my reading glasses, replaceable control/button panel with nice big durable weatherproof buttons that can be operated with thick gloves - part of the LCD panel - the panel should flip up and down so you can hide it when parked and protect it from the sun and weather when not being used. It should plug in seemlessly to the intercom system - and use all the existing controls. The controls should have up and down channel selects with seperate buttons for setting privacy codes - NO MENUS DAMNIT!! I might need to do this by touch in the rain at 70 mph while some drunken logger is trying to pass me in a snaking downhill canyon on a muddy road full of gravel at night!!!

Better yet - at least 3 memory channels (in case you are getting stomped on), scan, HI/LO power, Emergency Call button, with multiple selectable call tones - Okay - those can be on a menu...

Basicly - a direct swap out of the current CB radio system. And it shouldn't cost more that $50 - $100 tops for a single unit. Heck! At that price - I'd buy 3 and equip every vehicle including my mothers car! It would sweep the nation just like the CB craze did back in the middle 70's! Imagine the movie remakes!!! Smokie and the GMRS bandits!!

Why doesn't this exist yet? Surely I'm not the first one to think about it?

It's a greedy conspiricy I tell you!!! I'm tired of all this non-standard kit bashing and home brew rewiring just to get a functional unit without having to sacrifice my first born to get a 4th mortgage to pay for it!

LOL!!

Sounds like to me--TESchoener just wants to be able to talk to his wife..

Prior to going out on a ride we have a short briefing ie: the route

we are going to take, if you get seperated, and what channel we

are going to use... and where to go if we get stepped on.(very rare)

We just use the CB to talk bike to bike..

If we have an emergency we use the cell phone..

just my two cents:whistling:

What is the License Fee for GMRS these days ??? Know they used to have a

5 year license but not sure what the License Fee is ...

::: A few minutes later :::

Oh, they just raised the license fee to $80 for the 5 year ticket ...

Greetings...

This really IS on-topic: It's the consideration of the concept of NOT really needing to communicate with the wife on her machine...

Well - Cell phones are great - If you've already sacrificed your 1st born for that 4th mortgage and laid out your filthy-lucre for the hideously expensive Kit-bashed Afro-engineered non-standard over-priced Azure-Incizor setup - Hope you splurged and got that GPS locator phone thingy too! And you happen to be in an area where you can actually get a signal. East of the Mississippi - Sure - But out here in the Wild Wild West prior to the left coast - you're more than likely in Cellular Hell 80% of the time. But then if you CAN afford all that silly nonsense - You aren't complaining about the price of gas, or the price of seperate hotels either. I wear mine on my belt - turned OFF - and I'm certainly NOT making or taking calls at 70 mph. That's NOT why I ride...

After playing the frustrating "Can you hear me now" game for 2000 miles - the 20 year old CB decided to give up the ghost within moments of starting the trip - I spent over $200 trying to find a "Good" GMRS solution - at nearly every consumer electronics retail outlet I could find along the way. Only to return it all for full refunds after the trip because it's ALL land-fill. Then wasted a week online discovering that 80% of the over-priced Junk available - was just the same crap futzed together in 500 different ways - each one requiring you to throw away yet another $100 just to get it to work once you've already laid out 5 times that much or MORE!! Because it's all NON-STANDARD junk. Unless of course - you are willing to drop as much or more than what you may have paid for the entire Motorcycle? And if you did- and are happy with it - More power to you! Who am I to stomp on the head of your favorite money puppy...

But for what? Why DO we ride?

Just to hear the wife screeching in the ear? Look at that! Look at that!! Oh isn't that cute! I have to pee, My butt hurts, my foot's asleep, what was that noise!?! Maybe we should pull over!

No thanks - I get enough of that at home. It is a perpetual mystery to the Woman, but not to the Man, why we spend so much on Beer and so little on flowers. It's obvious to me that the designer of the Comm systems on our machines was either married or was exceedingly wise - It's got an OFF switch! And yes, I know very well, that there IS a price for using it!

I'd much rather enjoy the silence and the oneness with the machine, focussing on that white line dissapearing over the horizon, wondering what's around the next turn - THAT'S why I ride...

She will chatter ceaslessly at the next rest stop anyway. - That's a given...

[For the ladies - at the risk of getting in trouble for divulging a MAN secret - The Answer to the perpetual mystery: Stuffing flowers in your mouths usually results in a raising of the volume - Stuffing enough beer in your mouth - eventually results in silence or snoring or some other acceptable alternative]

BUT!

Since the CB died - I've surprisingly discovered that I'm a much happier camper - that I smile and laugh, and enjoy life and riding, a LOT more now with the signifigant other - than I did before the CB died. I've pretty much now dismissed the idea of a useful, functional, durable, dependable external comm system - as being COUNTER-productive to my peace of mind. Hand signals serve us just fine now - unless of course, someone finally does comes up with an inexpensive GMRS drop in replacement for the CB as described above. In which case - I hope the OFF switch is EXTRA heavy duty!

Until then - Blessed Silence! But then, I'm a weirdo - looking forward to my Alsheimer's years - When everything becomes new again! I actually DO try real hard to find the silver linings in all the dark clouds I see ahead on that horizon - even IF it doesn't seem so at first...

:Avatars_Gee_George: