IGNORED

final drive whine questions

My 07 RSV has got a nasty bad whine, around 40 -50 mph its the worst. the farther you lean the worse it gets and if you pull in the clutch you can feel a slight vibration in the floorboards too. I have got 3800 miles on it now. I'm not sure it is gear noise due to the fact that the noise does not change on coast or acceleration. the noise only gets louder when leaning. This makes me think it has more to do with the axle bearings. I will be taking it in later this week.

Do any of these symptoms match what any of you that have had final drive issues?

Ken C.

Ken,

You can page down to the bottom of this page and you will see many posts related to the Whine...

It is a common shared issue that pops up here often.

Print out some of the posts and take them with you to your dealer..:whistling:

My 07 RSV has got a nasty bad whine, around 40 -50 mph its the worst. the farther you lean the worse it gets and if you pull in the clutch you can feel a slight vibration in the floorboards too. I have got 3800 miles on it now. I'm not sure it is gear noise due to the fact that the noise does not change on coast or acceleration. the noise only gets louder when leaning. This makes me think it has more to do with the axle bearings. I will be taking it in later this week.

Do any of these symptoms match what any of you that have had final drive issues?

Ken C.

This is a warranty issue that the dealer will fix. The most likely cause is insufficient grease in the driveline. The repair should take about an hour.

Sounds like the tires to me. My Bridgestones whined at the slightest amount of lean. Replaced them with Avons. No more whine!-Jack

Before I replaced my Avon Venom X rear tire last summer I had a bad whine on right hand turns...the more I leaned, the louder the whine (and it wasn't Nina LOL) ... put a new tire on (same kind) **poof** whine gone... -BUT- now that I've put a few miles on the new one... whine is back. I know it ain't the bearings or axle or anything else coz I checked all that last year before replacing the tire.

Ken C.

I got the same thing and it is the friggen tires.

I have a great hearing loss and they are very loud to me. and especially when you lean. Not so much when you are straight up and down.

Who would have thought that the tires can make that much noise????

Steve

aka Bubber

I would be very surprised if they changed anything. If they did, it would sure be interesting to know what they changed. It just seems strange that they would do anything major in what may well be the final year of this model after letting it go for 8 years. I don't have excessive noise on my '99 either so I would be more inclined to believe that it is just luck of the draw.

I just spoke with my dealer about this very issue no more than 30 minutes ago. I have an 07 with almost identical mileage and the same whine (I call it a howl) has developed in the last 500 miles. We talked about greasing the splines (from posts here), but both he and Yamaha say the spline issue is more of a clicking noise that you can hear walking the bike across a parking lot.

They believe the noise is from the rear tire wear. We looked at my rear tire and it is quite flat (not literally) from wear and has very distinct large rounded corners. Anything less that perfectly vertical produces the low level whine or howl. I ride one up most of the time and it seems to me that 3k on a set of tires isn't much, but a new rear tire might be in the offing after the holiday weekend trip.

Anyone got suggestions for brands.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a whine while turning corners to the left (85 VR) only and it comes on while leaning off centre and then quiets a bit if you lean it really deep. It occurs at the same 45-50 speed and not under or over. I feel it is the rear tire scalloped profile that started after about 25% worn. One more season and it's gone whether it's worn out or not. A new Avon is the plan. I just replaced the front tire this week and it is light years ahead of the old elite II's.

I had a whine that occurred before reaching 1000 miles. I changed out the final drive with synthetic gear oil. For now it appears the problem is resolved. I have put on another 2000 miles with no whine.

One thing that really affects tire wear is the type of pavement you typically drive on. Certain categories of roads use a rougher asphalt that really reduces the rubber life of a motorcycle tire. The ones we typically enjoy riding on. This is something that a rider needs to take into consideration when he purchases a particular tire type because some tire compounds will do better than others for wear depending on where they are being used.

Been there done that,