IGNORED

Road rage: biker shot in S. Indiana

Jethroish

According to witnesses, biker was at the intersection waiting to turn. Woman came up behind him fast and close. He got off his bike and walked back to her SUV. As he was talking to/confronting her, his (false) teeth popped out. The woman, a licensed CCW holder, thought he was spitting at her and she shot him once in the chest with a 38.

It appeared this all happened in the street and the woman did not exit her vehicle. She has not been charged. The biker was in surgery.

There appears to be a bit more the the story. They had been involved in an argument for the past mile (claims the woman). She also claims he had been threatening her and trying to run her SUV off the road.

There will most likely be more to this story after the police examine the video of a near by surveillance camera.

She also claims he had been threatening her and trying to run her SUV off the road.

Sorry to be a doubting thomas here, but I just don't see this one happening in real life. Even if he had been, spitting his teeth at her (accidental or otherwise) does not constitute the use of deadly force. I would hate to be in her shoes at the moment.

I am a liscensed CCDW in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and I'm quite sure that if shoot someone for spitting on me, I would go straight to jail. As a matter of fact if my right to rapidly swing my arms contacted his right to have his nose in my way, I would go to jail.

That's why I never escalate a possible road rage situation. You never know if the other person is packing.

I agree completely. Sometimes it is very hard for me to back away from a road rage situation, but I am always trying to keep in mind what the consiquences can be, just like this incident. You absolutely NEVER know who you are dealing with and there are some real crazy people out there. I just tell myself that these type will encounter one of their own type sooner or later and it will be somebody else's problem.

RandyA

That's why I never escalate a possible road rage situation. You never know if the other person is packing.

I agree completely. Sometimes it is very hard for me to back away from a road rage situation, but I am always trying to keep in mind what the consiquences can be, just like this incident. You absolutely NEVER know who you are dealing with and there are some real crazy people out there. I just tell myself that these type will encounter one of their own type sooner or later and it will be somebody else's problem.

RandyA

i'm probably one of the worst roadragers out there. absolutely hate tailgators and people running stop lights. could never carry a gun because of that. those to things are all that bothers me on the road. just can't handle it. :)

i was in Colarodo a few years ago and i didnt see the whole thing but this guy in a car about 24 to 26 years in age was screaming and waveing his fist trying to get this minivan with a family to pull over but the van wouldnt he just kept looking foward and would speed up to get away from the guy then he would catch up then the van would slow down to get away well it made the young guy reeal mad again he even tried to run the van off the road well any way the van kept his cool and as they got close to a exit ramp the van shot of off the interstate and that really made the young guy mad but he couldnt do any thing then but i think the van did the right thing by not making eye contact and then geeting off as not to make more trouble.

I would assume the woman could have rolled up her windows and locked the door before resorting to shooting the guy.

As a carry conceal pistol holder, I have to agree, never escalate a situation. I find that since I do carry concealed, I tend to let most things go more than most. Usually when I have a tailgaiter or something, I just usually chuckle and say to myself.......buddy, if you only knew, you wouldn't be doing that.

The biker doesn't sound like a nice guy... Takes 2 to tango, if he would have stayed on his bike and away from the vehicle he wouldn't be in the hospital.

She should have stated she feared for her life, would have been ok.

Son should have stayed in car.

Neither party acted properly... Both should be charged. Him for assault, her for ADW.

Both need asses kicked.

Being a biker doesn't give you any special right to act any differently than anyone else. He aggravated a crappy situation and paid the price for it.

Sound like a case on NHI (No humans involved) here.....

The biker doesn't sound like a nice guy... Takes 2 to tango, if he would have stayed on his bike and away from the vehicle he wouldn't be in the hospital.

She should have stated she feared for her life, would have been ok.

Son should have stayed in car.

Neither party acted properly... Both should be charged. Him for assault, her for ADW.

Both need asses kicked.

Being a biker doesn't give you any special right to act any differently than anyone else. He aggravated a crappy situation and paid the price for it.

Sound like a case on NHI (No humans involved) here.....

Pretty much have to say I agree

Guest Popeye

If an unarmed person wants to slap you around some, you have to keep the sidearm concealed & smack 'em back....you can't just SMOKE someone for spitting/cussing/yelling/smacking/etc.

Leaving one's vehicle to yell at another is only a minor traffic violation.

In most 'good shoots', the good guy can expect to pay $20-60k in attorney fees....criminal or multiple civil actions.

Shooting folks is so expensive these days....my budget just doesn't allow for much of that behavior.

If an unarmed person wants to slap you around some, you have to keep the sidearm concealed & smack 'em back....you can't just SMOKE someone for spitting/cussing/yelling/smacking/etc.

Leaving one's vehicle to yell at another is only a minor traffic violation.

In most 'good shoots', the good guy can expect to pay $20-60k in attorney fees....criminal or multiple civil actions.

Shooting folks is so expensive these days....my budget just doesn't allow for much of that behavior.

If she feared for her life, she might get by with it. The guy sounded like a genuine ******* and should have kept is stupid butt on his bike.

She should have kept her door locked, window up and kid in the car. If he got past the door, then she should have killed the dumb SOB.

Either way we have 2 stupid people involved in a stupid situation. Best thing that could have come of it is if they both killed each other. It would keep them from breeding and making yet another generation of stupid people.

If an unarmed person wants to slap you around some, you have to keep the sidearm concealed & smack 'em back....

Not in the State of Florida. :) If a person is physically attacked in public, Florida law allows the use of leathal force to defend yourself. (unless that law has changed since it went in to force a couple years ago).:whistling:

Not in the State of Florida. :) If a person is physically attacked in public, Florida law allows the use of leathal force to defend yourself. (unless that law has changed since it went in to force a couple years ago).:whistling:

True in Texas as well now. :cool10:

I used to work with a guy who worked here for 6 months then took off to Mexico for 6 months. He was about 5'6" and all of 120 lbs soaking wet. Like me he had grey hair.

He rode a gold wing. One day while returning home he was at a red light when a woman pulled up beside him in a station wagon. Being the polite sort he smiled at her and nodded. She picked up a revolver from the seat and aimed it at him. He took off through the red light and did not stop for rest until he got back to Canada. He still remembers the blue ford station wagon and the lady with pink curlers in her hair. He has never been back to the states since. Some of you people are awfuly nice but some of you are just plain scairy, and you are all armed.

Guest Vermincelli

Most states laws regarding the use of lethal force state when "in fear for your life OR GREAT BODILY HARM".

It can be argued that a man threatening a woman with a beating is fear of great bodily harm.

Here is the part that is going to be crucial...

And witness statements conflict over whether Mosier opened Parrish’s car door, or Parrish opened the door to shove Mosier away from her. The other question -- why Mosier approached Parrish’s car.

If he did open the door, then hate to say it, but it would be a good reason for someone to shoot.

Her son kicking and taunting him though doesn't help her case but if it's determined that he DID actually open her door, then it won't matter as to the moment of the shooting. She felt threatened by a bigger assailant who has escalated it to a physical confrontation and she used her gun in self defense.

Thing is, Up to the point he got off his bike and approached her vehicle, HE escalated the situation beyond verbal conflict. It's going to be a tough case since witnesses aren't even in agreement.

Howdy Charlestown. Did most of my growing up in Clarksville, IN.

Bike vs. SUV; never be an agressor on bike vs. any cage. Can die that way.

Shot him for being at the car/spit at her? I don't think that qualifies for deadly force when she had opportunity to pull away.