IGNORED

Speed Bleeders

Squidley

I had remembered some time ago folks talking about Speed Bleeders. Well I'm here to tell you that I put some in my '99 and had my rear brake fluid completely swapped with fresh fluid in less than 5 minutes. I installed one on my clutch and had it bled in about the same time. If your thinking about getting these, dont wait, they work fantastic! :banana:

I did it by myself and it was so easy it's stupid :doh: I would highly recommend this product :happy34:

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Hi Brad.

Seems like a great invention. I guess the relieve valve only works when the bleed screw is loosened up a bit.

So what part number(s) did you use? Sort of looks like SB8125L is the default version. Or maybe SB7100 for rear? I didn't see any Ventures identified.

Same for 1st gen brakes and clutch?

Are they any longer, and do they fit in the clutch area OK?

Listing for an Excelsior Henderson. Haven't seen one of those for a long time... Maybe I'm thinking about a Brough Superior....

John.

Guys I measured the bleeder screws for the front calipers and found them to 7mm x 1.0 x 28 mm so that being the case they'll be the SB7100S models. The loger SB 7100 will be OK for the front too. The clutch and rear are 8mm x 1.25 , so the number for it will be SB 8125.

I also looked at the Yamaha parts book to see if they were all the same, but they give a different part number for each location. At least the first three letters/numbers are different. I'm thinking they are the same but won't know till tomorrow when I check the rear caliper.

Hope this helped you all. And yea I'm ordering a set of these too just as soon as I find out the size of the rear one.

Larry

What size did your Order Brad?

I'm not sure on the 1st gens but on my '99 I ordered the SB 8125 L but these dont fit the front calipers, they are too big. Larry mentioned the SB7100's and I'm sure these fit the front calipers. The SB8125 fit the rear caliper and the clutch slave, so if you want to order them get 2 of the SB8125's and 2 of the SB7100's.

I wouldn't recommend getting the longs (SB8125L) like I did either, just buy the standard length ones. There will be a clearance issue on the clutch slave with the small rubber cover that fits over it. I'll be ordering the correct ones here in the next few days :happy34:

Been running Speed Bleeders on 83#1 for over a year now, and posted info about them to this forum way back when..pre-crash. 8125L's fit everything on a 1stGen. Even on the anti-dives, and clutch. Makes life much easier. I found that the long tip will fit... OK under the clutch slave rubber. The reason for the longer tips is it's easier to get a seal on the bleeder bag I picked up from them....or any hose for that matter. There isn't a clearance problem on the 1st Gens. BTW the bag is 6 bucks and is reusable. I just store mine in a zip lock bag because it does get a little contaminated after using a few times.

I'm not sure on the 1st gens but on my '99 I ordered the SB 8125 L but these dont fit the front calipers, they are too big. Larry mentioned the SB7100's and I'm sure these fit the front calipers. The SB8125 fit the rear caliper and the clutch slave, so if you want to order them get 2 of the SB8125's and 2 of the SB7100's.

I wouldn't recommend getting the longs (SB8125L) like I did either, just buy the standard length ones. There will be a clearance issue on the clutch slave with the small rubber cover that fits over it. I'll be ordering the correct ones here in the next few days :happy34:

Brad, why don't you email them and get the RSV on their motorcycle application chart.

Great!!!! Something else to put on the ol' credit card. I just wanted to see how much it would cost. MOST sites, after you've entered your credit card info, will take you to a confirmation page.....not this one. I now have 4 speed bleeders and the bag and hose combo on the way.......Oh well, c'est la vie :crying::rotf:

so did any one ever find out how much they run? Just want to see if it's worth the $ to wait.

I paid $32 for all 4 shipped to my door, they were $7 apiece I believe. As easy as it was to change the brake fluid on my bike, they were worth every penny :happy34:

Thanks guys, after I posted I went to the site and saw the price for the 8125L's for the Gen I ($7 each) and went a head and ordered them, I agree that for the amout of headache saved it's well worth the $, now I just have to wait for them to arrive. Well they are calling for cold and rain for the next few days anyhow:)

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished with a fluid change in the front and rear brakes after installing the speed bleeders. Most definitly the way to go. Bravo, excellent, thanks again guys for the great info. :cool10: :cool10:

For the 86-93 1st gen, would all the bleeders be the same size. I was wondering about the bleeder for the link brake system that is on the steering head. I would like to replace this one also. Just checking to see if anyone else has replaced this one with a speed bleeder. Thanks Rick F.

Well, I just placed my order for (4) speed bleeders..

(2) for the front

(1) for the rear

(1) for the clutch

SO many thanks goes to Squidley for finding something else I can spend my darn money on just to do my part in keeping the world economy going......

Now I have to go buy some new brake fluid and a drain hose and what ever else you people decide to post.......:rasberry:

For the 86-93 1st gen, would all the bleeders be the same size. I was wondering about the bleeder for the link brake system that is on the steering head. I would like to replace this one also. Just checking to see if anyone else has replaced this one with a speed bleeder. Thanks Rick F.

Should be the same 8125L Rick. I forgot about that one....:confused24:

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Had to dig this one out. I want 5 of the 8125L's for a 1st Gen. Right? And should get long hose and bag?

You don't need to use the long ones, the 6th one can go on the clutch slave cylinder. Seeing they are normally sold in packs of 2, you will need 3 packs for the Mk1.

You don't need to use the long ones, the 6th one can go on the clutch slave cylinder. Seeing they are normally sold in packs of 2, you will need 3 packs for the Mk1.

Rocket, I went with the 8125L's on the '83 to give me something to get the tube and an 8mm wrench on at the same time, even on the slave. The rubber slave cover bulges a bit on the top....:)