IGNORED

Exaust rot

sleepy2

Well since getting bike back from shop a couple weeks ago it started to sound funny at the exhaust . It wasn't too bad at first but had bike on repair table trying to find leak I couldn't until now. Was going to go to Brantford but rain and the getting louder noise stopped me from ridding today.When I got home I put bike back up on table and went ahead and pulled off left muffler to find it only hanging on by a piece 1in long. Should have bought whole exhaust from recycle yard in U.S. last time I had to replace back pipe from same problem I had when I had tires,back rotor,head bearings and tires.(right side was rusted off and couldn't be repaired. Am going to look for a replacement pipe around me but will also see if it is repairable as Phantom Wife doesn't want to put in any more money.

Was wondering if I took out battery and kept ground close to break would it hurt anything if I tried to Mig weld(don't have one that uses Gas)

I don't see an issue with welding it, but I'd think there's a pretty good chance someone on this site will have a muffler they could part with.   I'd wait and see before going through the PITA of trying to weld a rusted muffler.   

Sorry I left out what I was thinking of writing.  I thought I said it was the Y pipe that is rusted off(muffler is OK)just at edge of muffler where it goes into muffler. 20240513_202818.thumb.jpg.dc1eec53c14fe49e0bff80d1bef8efe3.jpg

20240513_202805.jpg

9 hours ago, PastorCurt said:

If you can’t get a replacement part reasonably priced, could you sleeve the inside and then have more material to work with when you weld it?

If you can find a piece of copper pipe to use as a backer while welding it up it’ll hold your weld. Then pull the copper out when finished. 

• Like 1

Found a replacement Y pipe but was almost $300can.

Phantom Wife said I've spent enough for now SO I went to Canadian Tire and picked up an adapter piece 4" long and 1 1/2 in Dia. which I was able to tap into original pipe with muffler cement and seems to be very tight and with where pipes are supported it should be OK. Will wait till tomorrow and put it back together to see if it works. If not will pull back off and try to weld. 

Thanks for your help, will let20240514_201846.thumb.jpg.a74dcf3ccb0a4db0233f0ff3fb9bfcf9.jpg20240514_201855.thumb.jpg.6ceecde574615860ed22a901c49d776a.jpg20240514_201842.thumb.jpg.32c1428785b46d02ec5c4e18d98e75cc.jpg you know how it goes!

Well got the repaired exhaust Y pipe back on and have gone on a couple rides with and without trailer and my repair seems to be a success!!!! Did a deep clean on bike as I was waiting for muffler cement to cure as it was very filthy from ride to Fort Erie Ontario(200klm one way!) with the road splash going everywhere!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Steel Horse Cowboy said:

What kind of mufflers do you have? I might be interested in them.

No idea, never saw a name on them. They have the mounts on them for the RSV. PO still had the OEM pipes so I immediately replaced them. Don’t like my pipes louder than my radio. 

1 hour ago, Steel Horse Cowboy said:

What kind of mufflers do you have? I might be interested in them.

Come over to the get together here next month n take em home with you.