IGNORED

SLC->Roanoak, Va & Back..

Trimster

We have been known to do rides! but this is going to be a real Ride!. Leaving out June 20th from SLC, Ut. to a nice lake in Roanoak, Va. where there is a cabin and sailboat waiting. Taking about 3+ weeks. Our trip route, right now, is as follows:

- SLC to Steamboat Springs, Co. (done this run and it's nice)

- Steamboat Springs to Colorado Springs using the mtn roads (of course) through Breckinridege and coming in the back door to Col. Springs. Great BBQ place in Manitou Springs and across the street is a drop dead, cardio disaster fudge shop. Mmmmm.

- Col. Springs to Dodge City, Ks. I teach film making at a university, bought the rights to a book, author lives in Dodge.... business meeting you know....

- Next stop, Branson, mo. to visit the daughter who is the Media production manager for the Dutton family Theater. I think this will be a 2 day run. I see toll roads in Ok, and Ak. not sure about those... everything out here is 'free'ways ya know. We are actually going south out of Wichita to the 412 to Tulsa. Maybe staying there or Siloam Springs before heading to Springdale then NE to Branson. Some twisty roads there that are calling me....

- From Branson it will be west and south to Roanoak. Not sure on the route here.. up for suggestions. I think we are leaning towards getting to Roanoak but wandering when we leave heading back... so maybe catchin 64 might be the best?

Route back---

- We are liking the idea of Knocksville and Nashville. Have not spent time in the country music capital of the universe (maybe 'cause country and us don't get along... personal issue of course).... but the city seems full of fun stuff to see of a day or so. Up for suggestions here as well. Or we could take a northern route back to Utah. Not really interested in pounding 70 or 80... done that... been there.

So that's our adventure this summer. Input, comments welcome. We pack light, travel just fast enough to see the sights and live by the code "all destinations are subject to change if the mood strikes us".

Now this looks like a fun "business" trip.

One of these years I am going to do the Yellowstone Trail. I have done parts of it, but not the whole way to the Wet Coast.

Hope you have a great trip.

http://www.postsmile.com/img/summer/95.gif

Leaving Branson take 65 south into Ar and grab 14 east (or maybe it's 16) and you will find some incredible twisties! That's where I found this sign!

And if you get to the ATL, give me a call, you've got a place to stay.

I like the 65 south out of Branson and then the 412/62 east.... and that will take us to Memphis where we will look to spending the night or maybe up the road in Jackson. This is totally new territory for us....

we've added the Shanondoa Valley to our trip. Did that quickly by car years! ago and want to see more stuff there this time... long as we are in the neighborhood... so to speak.

thanks for the input.

Let us know when you get to Roanoke. We could always have an impromptu meet and eat. How often will you get to meet the nuts on this side of the country? Of course we only appear crazy till you get to know us then you know we are. :rotf:

Have a safe trip. I'm sure plenty of other folks will be available along your route whichever you take for coffee or a meal.

Margaret

Don't forget Kentucky after leaving Jackson, Tn. you could do Nashville if you really wanted to, but then head a little north back and forth along the border of Tenn and Ky. Jump up on 92 through southeast Ky. Stop in Middlesboro, Ky and drive up the overlook. Then head up 119 to Kingdom Come State Park. (Then when some one says they've been blown to Kingdom come, you'll know how far they went). Continue up 119 to 460/80 and stay at the Breaks Interstate Park on the Ky/Va border. Tell them you want room 101-107 overlooking the gorge. Then in the morning the deer will wake you up walking on your deck. From there, it is just any wonderful road over to Roanoke. I'd suggest going a little north of Roanoke and bring the Blue Ridge Parkway down into it. Can't go wrong in these areas. Have a safe and fun trip!

I live in Vinton, a town in roanoke county that also actually touches roanoke city. Very familiar with most of Smith Mountain Lake also. Let me know if I can be of any assistance!!!

If MiniMuffin puts together that M&E, I have large back yard for camping!!!!

Timster,

Hope you have a great visit to VA. I wish I could catch-up with you while you are here. However I'll be at the Beach in NC, for family vacation that week. I sure ththere are other VA members Like Bubba that will catch-up with you. Ride safe and enjoy the VA mountians.

Check out militarysalute project.com honor and rember ride to Washington DC.see if you can ride along when we come through your state and say howdy. Minnesota PGR riders leaving sat.the 14th. 1st day Saint Paul thru WI. into Wenoa IL. The military salute gives a daily route. would be great to meet a few venture riders.

Hey Bubba looks like it's up to you dear. I'm not gonna be here when he gets here either. Going to visit family up in NY that weekend. Darn wish it was a different time. So You're in charge of organizing a get together bubba. Since you live there just pick a place and a time for anyone who can make it to meet. It's not too hard, just make sure there's a DQ or some other sort of ice cream around as well. You'll do fine.

Margaret

Sent Trimster a PM. I would like to meet him as we are planning our first cross-country motorcycle trip for sept.

That is 4th of July weekend. Any interest in a M&E. Blue Ridge Parkway to Peaks of Otter is two miles east of my house, DQ is two miles west!!

Great job! Hope some folks can show up, we don't get to meet to many west coast types around here. Have a great time even if it's just you all.

OH now that you got the meet planned we do expect some pics as well. Guess I should have mentioned that earlier. :rotf::rotf:

Margaret

• 2 weeks later...

We be road trippin'. Day 4 and we are in Tulsa, Ok. Nice town... big. Trip has been quite nice so far . Have not seen any of these roads before or Ks, and Oklahoma and Ark. Drove by miles of huge! wind mills today cranking out the megawatts here in Ok. Wonderful site.

Colorado was hot. Really windy from Colorado Springs to Pueblo. Like 45mph+ side winds. Real lane changers.

The run into Dodge City, Ks. was hotter. Having ballistic jackets and evaporative cooling vests are God sends. They were going from soaking wet to bone dry in 45min. And what is with the relentless 25mph south winds. All we do is drive straight, leaning over on the right side. Man that is tiring. I guess on the way back we will wear the tires on the other side of the tread.

We have been in and out of big storm formations all around but only light sprinkles here and there. Very lucky considering the size of these storms. They pounded Dodge City while we slept.

Next stop is Branson via the 412 east bound then north on some nice mtn. roads south of Branson. Only a 250 or so mile day so we can stop and play. We'll spend 3 days in Branson, catch a few shows, see the one that our daughter is media tech for (The Dutton's Theater). Guess Lisa will have to do a blue rinse hair color to fit in with the average crowd in Branson.:doh:

Bike is running pretty good. Rich on the right 2 cyl. and it hates gas-ahol. Dropped the milage from 39 to 23 mpg. Ouch. Won't try that again. Already taking a hit towing a trailer and fighting side winds. It also had issues with climbing over the 12,000' pass in Colorado. Runnin' a bit rich at that altitude. Maybe someone in the Va. area can assist with some sort of tune up?

We are on sched. to be in Roanoak, Va. on the 30th of June. Our rear ends are feeling fine... so far. So we will keep movin' on across this great land seein' the sights and meeting wonderful, helpful people.

More in a day or so.

From the road...

Bob & Lisa

Oh, here's the wife out front of Dinty Moors in Colorado. Interesting spelling on sign... food is down home good. Located on one of the best rides in Colorado.... and we are loaded to the gills. Delivering a 5.1 surround system to my daughter in Branson. Then we will be 100+ lbs. lighter and contained within the trailer.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/trimster/DintyMooresSm.jpg

Run from Tulsa, Ok. to Branson via Eureka Springs was wonderful... and hot... and humid. We are kinda use to the upper desert climate of Utah. Wife is from N.J. and says 'you ain't seen nothing yet'. Eureka Springs is a must see if you are in the neighborhood. Very cool art community.

Branson.... traffic sucks here. Really sucks.

Fun regional sayings we have encountered and like:

"Where ya-all headed at?" MMmm, 'headed too' sort of defines a straight line, or you have solid plans.... we are more "headed at" folks I think.

"The sun is leaning hard on ya today". Never thought of it that way, but it has felt like the heat does press on you.

Off to wash some road grim and dead bugs off the bike, then on to a few shows. Need to find new front break pads. These have screeched from day one and they are going to now get 86'd before we leave here if I can work it out.

Hey Trimster - No luck on the M&E group invite, Holiday weekend and too short notice I guess. WIfe and I would like to meet you guys though, and maybe a few other couples from my CMA chapter.

If you need to order brake pads or anything else, feel free to send them here for pickup when you get to Roanoke.

I have tools, including a bike jack, but nothing to set your carbs. Let me know if I can do anything for ya.

Bubba

Wish I could meet up with you this week, but work is crazy right now. Plus I am taking 2 weeks off starting next Friday to go to the Int'l rally in Kitchener. Hope you enjoy the visit to VA and continue to have a good trip.

I too am sorry to miss this opportunity, but we have previous plans in place.

Trimster-

I hope you guys have a great stay. It is a very beautiful area of our state. I don't know how much riding you will be up for, but you are just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Also, I would recommend seeing the National D-Day memorial in Bedford, VA while you are in the area. In my opinion it surpasses many that are in DC.

http://http://www.dday.org/

From the road again...

Wonderful stay in Branson. It rained... big time. Washed out a bridge, flooded an RV park (pick-nick tables were under water). So does that make a 5th wheel trailer a houseboat?

The run into Memphis was really quite nice. Perfect weather and the 412 across and down is splendid. Found some nice local eateries... our preference... with great people to chat with. Wandering mountain roads in the Ozarks... can't get much better than that.

We've done a bit over 1500 miles so far. Does not seem like that much but who's counting when the scenery glides by, one small town after another.

June 30----------

Memphis, Tn. to ????

Eastbound on 40 got boring... so we jumped to 70 which parallels it just north. Nice country road. Much better driving through small towns. Tenn. is one green state after you come from an upper desert like Utah.

We played around in Nashville for a few hours. Downtown is nice. Lots of fun touresta stuff. Then we blasted back on 40, twisted the throttle open a bit an pounded the lanes to a Super8 in Crossville, Tn. Hunkering down for the night, some dark clouds overhead. Fingers crossed.

Next stop is Smith Mountain lake in Union Hall, Va.

And so we go...

July 1......

Ok, the run out of Tenn. to Va on 40 sucks. So we got of at Abingdon and headed south east on 58 and did the Mt. Rogers National Rec area run. Wow. Wonderful twisties and stunning views. That made those hours of pounding 40 worth it.

Have come on some pretty bad accidents on 40. Big rig went over the guard rail, flipped and killed the driver. Also a car over another guard rail, upside down and on fire. Sobering.

We're parked on Independence, Va. Nice little town.

Observations: You folks in this neck of the woods, have got religion. There is some kind of church in every town, nook and cranny. Kind of boring in Utah. Mormon churches out number 7-11's. Kind of bland.

More fun drivin' on the best roads on the US we have seen so far. 3 more weeks to go.

Guess we need to update the map below....

Ok, many days of no net access and we are now on the road back. Virginia is wonderful. Did the 311 out of Roanoak across the range. Wow. Nobody but us on the road. What a road.

Now hunkered down in Hurricane, W. Vir. looking for a rear tire. This POS Mitchelin is burning up fast. Was on the bike when we got it. Lasted about 5000 miles. Hope we can find a tire and install shop time in Huntsville, W. Va. or close to there. We are now bare in the middle. Not much road left in this baby. If someone has any help on source for a Avon Venom X or Dunlop for the rear that can be done tomorrow (tues.) it would be greatly appreciated. 150/90/15 if I recall right.

Our plans, after the tire replacement, is north past Detroit, around the western lake shores, then on to highway 2 and west to Idaho, then down, back to Salt Lake.

and one we go... we hope.

June 8th-------------

OK, did 16 miles today and we are staying across the parking lot from the hotel we were in last night. BUT! did get a tire on. Can't say enough about Yamaha Powersports of Hurricane, WV. They had a tire and worked us in. Great guys and no price gouging. $118 for a Periele (never heard of it for an RSV but I'm not complaining on the road) and only $55 to pull, mount and balance. I have HD mufflers so they had to pull both and the right saddle bag to get the axle bolt out... even super greased the hub while in there. Small town, great service.

So we walk out of the dealership to see a HUGE, MONDO storm just minutes away. Scrambled to a place to eat a late lunch, covered the bike and watched it rain like buckets for an hour. 4pm and iff'y weather so we decided to hunker down in a Budget Motel (dive) across the parking lot from last night. Interestingly enough there is a building permit taped to the front door. Hope they knock it down and start over. Just remember... if it smells like curry, leave in a hurry. Old 18 wheeler friend told me that one.

Radar and forecast show solid line of active weather to our west and north where we need to get... we are are going to follow 64 a bit more south to let it pass then turn north to Detroit area.

This constant 60%+ humidity is for the birds. Give me dry heat...

Loving this road trip....

Bob & Lisa

July 10---- Made it to Indianapolius, In. last night. Wooo.... got nailed in some rain. Fish drowning kinda stuff. Managed to take cover at a few gas stations. Bike and new tire worked well. Never had the both sides of the windshield obscured by rain before.

Went around the south side of Cincinnati, Oh. 3 state crossings in one swing. Cool. Best ride of the day was highway 125 out of New Boston. This is a great road into Cincinnati. Best eats.... American Cafe in New Boston. Very local, very traditional.... right down to the harvest gold toilets. Right off the bat, pouring your coffee "you folks passing through? haven't seen you here before."

Plan now is to pound 65 north to the east side of Lake Michigan, take 35 up and head east on 2 from St. Inglace.

And so it goes...