IGNORED

Trick to seating carb in lower boot?

Usually I, just by loosening the clamps up to wide open, heating up the intake manifolds some if they are stiff cause its cold out and lubing the intakes with some WD 40 I can snap them in with hand pressure. There have been occasions however that I ended up covering the carbs with a rag so nothing could drop into them, then laying a stack of 2x4's over the top of them so I ended up with a flat area I could lay a long 2x4 across the lower ones giving me a good solid surface to press down on while a moved pressure a little angle at a time. My money is on once you heat the rubber a little with a heat gun so they are pliable and spray them with lube they will pop right in.. Having the clamps real loose is also essential,, as is making sure they are all slightly started when you press down on the carb bank..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I second loosening up all clamps.  That, combined with pliable boots, allows some movement for all 4 to settle in.  I also reassembled all 4 carbs while they were on a flat surface in order to make them all as even as possible for re-installation into the boots.  If worse comes to worse, you could try loosening the hardware that holds the carbs together.

Edited by Bob K.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

Thanks @cowpuc will give it a shot in the morning. Maybe loosening up the others will help it go in.  So sad I bought this bike directly coming from a shop where it was specifically in for carb rebuild.  Hard to trust anybody anymore.

When(IF) you find a competent, honest motorcycle mechanic buy him(her) a bottle of their favorite liquid refreshment, remember them at Christmas and keep in close contact with them for life. You've heard of the proverbial hen's tooth, right?

It's pretty much guaranteed that the carb "rebuild" that was paid for consisted of hosing the carbs down with a can of carb cleaner and MAYBE new bowl gaskets. I'm surprised they actually removed the carbs from the intake boots, TBH.

My local Yamaha shop has been extremely helpful and their parts man is a huge Venture fan and a wealth of information. I would never in a million years let their mechanics touch any of my bikes. 

• Like 1

All good info, it should work for you. Sometimes though it might take 2 people and it might end up being the case of darned if you do and darned if you don't, in other words as you pop the one side in the other pops out. Keep at it, and they will all seat eventually. Personally I think the problem arises from the fact that the carbs were not perfectly flat when joined together, they may have looked flat, but weren't close  enough. Yours look like they should flip in, but it might be a back and forth a couple of times. Heat and a good dose of WD40, or better yet, Fluid Film.

• Like 1

I would loosen all 4 air filter box clamps and remove the airbox.  Then loosen all 4 air intake clamps and pop the carbs out.  Silicone grease the o- rings on the top and bottom of all 4 carbs.  Maybe a light coating on the inside of the intakes.  Try and seat the carbs back into the intakes with downward pressure in a cross pattern, like tightening lug nuts.  Good luck!

• Like 1

My wife will still never get on board with all the random “trash” I keep around the garage but an old snowblower shoe and a pry bar got it in place quick and easy.  Loosened all the clamps and hit with some WD40 then used a little leverage.  Thanks for the tips, they helped me look around and use what I have at hand.

E327F122-9145-440A-8710-608CCE4C70D3.jpeg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

Sonnnnn bichhhh button it all back up and still hear suction, time for round two.  Left rear boot 😪. At least I know what shop to never get maintenance done at. 

7BE73134-1E94-4B6F-BE8C-07CD77B41DB8.jpeg

Just tighten that bolt up and check the others. There's an o ring under them and as long as it's still pliable it will seal back up. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

Got everything buttoned up and degreased.  Sounds like a whole different bike without sucking in random air.  Still think there may be another leak somewhere but nothing like it had.

Good luck!  I've tried the propane method and the carb cleaner method for finding vacuum & air leaks.  I didn't have much luck.  When I sprayed around the carb boots, I discovered that enough of the gas or spray would rise and get sucked in through the normal air intake to affect RPM.

• Like 1