IGNORED

My Lawn Sage Continues

Freebird

No, it never ends. It's a curse that I will apparently just have to live with. I knew this one was coming though.

A couple of weeks ago I posted about how the oil drain pipe on the 8HP engine on the lawn vacuum broke and all the oil drained out and it died. About how I did get it running again and how it didn't even smoke and ran great. I wondered how long THAT would last.

I now know how long it will last. It lasted until about 6:30 PM yesterday. I was mowing and the vacuum was running great when suddenly there was a loud clanging noise and it quit. A quick inspection was all it took to see the approximately 3" hole in the side of the block. So....that one is done.

It was a 8HP Tecumseh. I just found and bought a new 8HP Briggs on Ebay so this piece of crap will live to vacuum another day.

And there with another $325.00.

Truth is, I have NEVER liked Tecumseh engines. Never a single time have I had any good luck from one. My preferences are actually Honda and Kohler. After that, I'll take a Briggs. I didn't even realize that this vacuum had a Tecumseh on it until after I bought it. Probably would have bought it anyway but wouldn't have been thrilled. I bought a new pressure washer last week because the pump on my old one went bad. Couldn't find a pump for less than a new washer costs. The old one had a Honda engine that still runs like new. I'll probably put it on Ebay and see what it will bring. The new one has a Suburu engine. This will be my first experience with them.

Most Harbor Freight motors are Chinese cr*p, that's where most of their stuff comes from.

Don, I'll still bring my scissors with me if'n we need to cut the grass for ya................

Dan

I actually made a quick attempt to use the Honda engine. It's only 5 HP and the one on the vacuum is 8 HP. I would have tried it anyway though. Pulled the pump though and the shaft is completely wrong. The motor for the vacuum uses a 7/8" tapered shaft and the Honda has about a 5/8" straight shaft. It would be great for a go cart or something.

I never had any luck with Tecumseh. Had a 8 hp briggs on a snowblower that worked much better and it had 20 years on it, but it blew 5 driveways each time it snowed and that was in the Northern parts of Ontario.

One thing about the Briggs you have to keep the oil level to max., or you will find another hole.

Hope it works for you

BRad