IGNORED

Mix tire brands...good idea or bad???

krispy

Denise and I took off for a ride this afternoon, got 6-8 miles from home, rolled up to a stop sign, and the bike felt squirrely to me. I wondered about tire going flat until I tried to pull away, and the bike gave a definite bump/lurch. Pulled over and sure enough, rear tire very soft. Called in my step-dad with an air tank, and it blew out near as fast as we blew it in. Found a piece of metal shoved in the face, cutting a good slice in it. So, I need a new rear. We bought the bike late last fall with 900 miles on it, up to about 2500 now on the original Bridgestones. Based on all the Avon lovers on this site, I was going to order an Avon for the rear, but my question is, can I leave the Bridgestone on the front?? Will this give any handling concerns, or can I run it until it needs changing?? Thanks for the advice. Larry

Same here as what fib 78 said. No one recommends it but for me I have done it

several time's and why throw a good tire away. There will be those that might want

to argue the point but its your money and if your O.K. with it then It will be O.K.

Like I said I have done it many times and on my old 80 XS 1100 I liked the Brigstone

front tire and Dunlap rear. It gave that bike a good ride and feel................Ron

Guest BluesLover

Last year I had a Dunlop on the front and an Avon on the rear. 25,000+ kms and no problems at all. This year, I'm running a Metzeler on the front and an Avon on the rear, and no problems to date.

Cheers,

Thanks for the advice so far guys!! I forgot to mention that while we were sitting at the corner waiting for help and the air tank, what pulls up but a 2000 RSV with a friendly couple on it. We had help on the way, so they went on. He said they were from Avon, MN. Wonder if they are members here?? Anyone know them? Larry

. Based on all the Avon lovers on this site, I was going to order an Avon for the rear, but my question is, can I leave the Bridgestone on the front?? Will this give any handling concerns, or can I run it until it needs changing?? Thanks for the advice. Larry

My only advice would be to get rid of the Brickstone anyway. If you put the Avon's all the way around you will think you have a new bike.:thumbsup: If you have a significant other you tell her they HAVE to be matched :stirthepot::confused24:

I'd say it depends on your Riding Style.

If you take Twiesties harder and scrape the Pegs every now and then or regularily and may have some uneven Road ahead, you may have Problems with mixed Brands or Types of Tires.

If your easy on the Twisties and ride more the upright Style or Highways, no Problems.

I'd say it depends on your Riding Style.

If you take Twiesties harder and scrape the Pegs every now and then or regularily and may have some uneven Road ahead, you may have Problems with mixed Brands or Types of Tires.

If your easy on the Twisties and ride more the upright Style or Highways, no Problems.

I think Squeeze nailed it on this one. If you don't ride hard it won't make much difference but the Avons are great.

Yes you can mix the tires... But unless you're strapped for cash I would replace both because those Bridgestones are terrible and Dunlops or Avons are a big improvement over them.. So If you have the money swap em both.

I have found a good pairing with an Elite III (Dumblap) on the front and a Metzler ME880 on the rear...

For me it feels better than using matched Elites or Metzlers...

Coming to the point that I need to get new shoes, and am leaning toward a CT on the rear and a 140/80/16 EliteIII on the front.

A note on the EliteIII...I am down to where the front tire should slide on sandpaper, but it still gets pretty good grip in turns and twisties....

Edited by thebighop

Denise and I took off for a ride this afternoon, got 6-8 miles from home, rolled up to a stop sign, and the bike felt squirrely to me. I wondered about tire going flat until I tried to pull away, and the bike gave a definite bump/lurch. Pulled over and sure enough, rear tire very soft. Called in my step-dad with an air tank, and it blew out near as fast as we blew it in. Found a piece of metal shoved in the face, cutting a good slice in it. So, I need a new rear. We bought the bike late last fall with 900 miles on it, up to about 2500 now on the original Bridgestones. Based on all the Avon lovers on this site, I was going to order an Avon for the rear, but my question is, can I leave the Bridgestone on the front?? Will this give any handling concerns, or can I run it until it needs changing?? Thanks for the advice. Larry

Sorry to hear about the tire, I don't worry about the tires being matched and right now I have a E II on the Front and E III on the rear, of course both are Dunlop. But even different brands should be okay.

One thing I would add is that different brands have different spec's for supposedly the same size tire. But I don't think it is a problem as long as you follow the "Owls" advice.:rotfl:

Jerry