IGNORED

Wierd computer problem

Venturous Randy

Due to my computer getting slower, I decided to purchase the CCleaner program. Since then, I have had all kinds of problems. The first thing is every time I logged off, it erased several of my passwords. Since I have had many for a long time, I had to go thru the forgot password and do a new password feature. I ended up having to disable CClearner to get it to quit doing this.

Now, I have a new problem related to youtube videos. I can watch the first video listed, but if there are subsequent videos, they may start for a second or two and the sound will continue, but it goes to a different screen. This is on my HP B&O laptop with a terabyte of memory or ram or what ever it is. This is the screen I am getting;

Another problem I have been having that started before the CCleaner download is when on Facebook marketplace, I can open up an ad, but now I can not open any of the pictures that go with the ad.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Randy

Screenshot (16).jpg

I've used CCleaner in the past with no issues. It sounds more like a piece of adware or malware got installed and CCleaner while doing somethings well is not a tool for that. These things probably slowed down the performance. Go to Malwaybytes (https://www.malwarebytes.com/) and download the 'free' version, it's really a 14 day trial. Run that to try and clean it up. I personally have the paid version on my home machines. Also remember that as monthly updates get installed from MS, Apple and the various Linux OSs that they all add to their product and slowly begin to cut at your performance.

If this does not help then a reload or recovery of the operating system may be necessary. Backup all your important data, pictures and generally anything else you want to keep to an external drive. There is a Seagate 2 Terabyte unit on Amazon right now for $60 ModelSTGX2000400. It's a pain, just had to do it on my wife's but. . . .

I've used CCleaner in the past with no issues. It sounds more like a piece of adware or malware got installed and CCleaner while doing somethings well is not a tool for that. These things probably slowed down the performance. Go to Malwaybytes (https://www.malwarebytes.com/) and download the 'free' version, it's really a 14 day trial. Run that to try and clean it up. I personally have the paid version on my home machines. Also remember that as monthly updates get installed from MS, Apple and the various Linux OSs that they all add to their product and slowly begin to cut at your performance.

If this does not help then a reload or recovery of the operating system may be necessary. Backup all your important data, pictures and generally anything else you want to keep to an external drive. There is a Seagate 2 Terabyte unit on Amazon right now for $60 ModelSTGX2000400. It's a pain, just had to do it on my wife's but. . . .

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that: That is EXACTLY what I do!! :sign Rock On:

After noticing my computer slowing down - almost exactly in the way Randy mentions - I went to Wall Mart and picked up a 1 terabyte external hard drive (on sale for 24 bucks), moved all my pictures/vids/documents I wanted to save (actually it's a good idea to have anything you really care about backed up on an external drive anyway - some pictures and vids are PRICELESS IMHO). I then moved everything over to the external and removed them from my Computer. Then I did a system reinstall and WOWZY WOW WOW WOW was I shocked at how much better performance I got. Now I keep the external updated and use my computer storage for short term use, it's not that time consuming if I stay on top of it IMHO.. I swear,, some of this computers are more sensitive than the quarter turn throttle on my old CR250..

I forgot to mention that I have had Malwarebytes Premium installed for years.

Randy

I think your easiest way out of this is the reload then. The windows registry is a fickle and unwieldy beast. CCleaner goal is to try and keep it somewhat under control by removing garbage left in the registry by other programs and such. In general it does a good job.

Ok, I have hit upon something. I normally use Microsoft Edge as my browser as that was what it came with new. I do have Firefox and Chrome installed and when I went to those browsers everything works as it is supposed to. Now, how do I fix Microsoft Edge?

Randy

That would be EdgeHTML which MS is abandoning. Edge is the future will be based on the same open source code as Chrome. I found this link but it will depend on the build version of Windows 10 and if it is new enough https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-repair-microsoft-edge-in-windows-10/. The first part of the article is basic fodder, scroll down a little to find the steps. I have not had to do this in the past but to be honest I now manage the techs here and haven't done support directly in quite a few years. Reading through the article though it looks to be a solid process. I have the new Edge Beta installed for testing so I no longer have these options available on my machine to check.

Ok, I have hit upon something. I normally use Microsoft Edge as my browser as that was what it came with new. I do have Firefox and Chrome installed and when I went to those browsers everything works as it is supposed to. Now, how do I fix Microsoft Edge?

Randy

Use Chrome. Edge in my opinion is a PIA. The College I work at dont even want us to use it, they have us use Firefox It updates Microsoft garbage when they want it to and it is susceptible to bugs more so than Chrome or Firefox.

Use Chrome. Edge in my opinion is a PIA. The College I work at dont even want us to use it, they have us use Firefox It updates Microsoft garbage when they want it to and it is susceptible to bugs more so than Chrome or Firefox.

that's the way my work is our guys told us not to use edge. I use chrome at home and internet explorer at work. you may try running Avast or something similar.

After doing what you have done, I also run an app on the computer called 'Disk Cleanup'. Deletes many old garbage files, tons of old crap not needed, that your computer still filters through on many commands. Then I run a program called 'defrag', and that reorganizes the files into the right file folders, if you will. I do this monthly, along with my backup to a separate hard drive. Seems to really keep my stuff running well.

All the repair directions I have found say to go to Apps and features and click on Microsoft edge and go to the repair feature. The problem is, I have no listing for Microsoft Edge. How do I find it?

Randy

Do you have any other accounts on the machine? Try those and see if Edge is there. you can also try this by launching powershell as administrator

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

With MS Abandoning EdgeHTML, which like others has stated is not well liked by most, they are introducing a new version based on the same Open Source code as Chrome called Chromium. This is why Chrome is named the way it is, that and the team at Google thought they were being cute since it relates to shiny and new. Also, I'm worried about Chrome's direction too. Google announced they are working to allow Chrome the ability to edit files on your computer. This is a VERY bad step by them. It will lead to malicious activity and even give nefarious web sites access to all your files they way they currently intend to do this.

If you are interested in the new version of Edge base on Chromium here is a link to get it: https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/. I've been using the development version for a few months now. I don't use a lot of extensions to Chrome but my colleagues use a lot and they have said they have no issues. . . . yet.

With CCleaner it gives you a choice of what to clean and keep under the custom link. Unlike the easy clean that get's rid of everything you can pick and choose some of the things you want to keep. My system is Windows 7 and Chrome. No problems. Also use Bitdefender firewall. So far so good...so far....

I want to thank everyone for the responses and your suggestions. For the time being I think I am going to be running chrome for a while. Right now, I have a tag that says imported from edge for my favorites, but it is only part of them. It looks like I may have to update some passwords also.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Randy

I want to thank everyone for the responses and your suggestions. For the time being I think I am going to be running chrome for a while. Right now, I have a tag that says imported from edge for my favorites, but it is only part of them. It looks like I may have to update some passwords also.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Randy

Here's a link to the Chromium-based Edge browser for Windows 10. It's still in beta, but has been stable for me.

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/?form=MA13D6&OCID=MA13D6

Here's a link to the Chromium-based Edge browser for Windows 10. It's still in beta, but has been stable for me.

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/?form=MA13D6&OCID=MA13D6

Ok, I downloaded this and the videos and pictures are working, I am just having to redo some of my passwords. In fact my name and password has been a problem on here everything I try something. I'm still learning and again, I appreciate all the help.

Randy