IGNORED

Turns out VentureFar's assessment of the 3rd Gen SVTC was SPOT ON!!

cowpuc

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW @VentureFar,, turns out you nailed it precisely!! While playing on Face Book I ran across one of the 3rd Gen sites and did some reading (having had time to join over there but am gonna = here is the page I am quoting this info from though = https://www.facebook.com/groups/StarVenture .. Remembering your AWESOME investigating reporting on the 3rd Gen back when you wrote that article that was published in Ultimate Motorcycling ( found here if anyone missed it - you should read Neil's article if you haven't - talk about a perfect, unbiased take on the new bike,, VERY WELL DONE BROTHER!! = https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/03/01/iron-butt-comparison-2018-yamaha-star-venture-vs-personalized-2007-royal-star-venture/ )..

Here is a quote that you wrote in your article:

"""The heat coming off the rear cylinder exhaust on the left side is a real issue in warm weather. It never got above about 73 degrees on this ride, but on my Eluder Death Valley ride it got up to 78. When I was going 35 mph, my left leg was hot enough to be raising my internal body temperature, or at least it felt that way. I am concerned how the heat will affect me when I am riding in stop and go traffic in the California summer."""

Turns out that there are numerous incidences of new owners now of the 3rd Gen SVTC feeling the heat bad enough on that left side that you mentioned so bad its actually burning their legs!!!! There are numerous pictures there on FB (UGLY - dont look if ya got a weak stomach) of the riders left legs getting hot enough that that pipe on the left rear actually cooked em - to the point of leaving them blistered and scarred!! One guy even got it so bad he ended up having to go the hospital,, nasty stuff!! I did read there where someone made the suggestion of wrapping the pipes like we use to do on our Sporty flat trackers. That actually is what I would have recommended had I of found that on FB at an earlier date..

Your observations were SPOT ON VentureFar and I just wanted you to know that your time, effort and professionalism in doing the testing was and is GREATLY appreciated!!

P.S. - you can share this with your new best friend who has you do the testing if you would like = kind of a job recommendation for future opportunities as it were.. The world of motorcycle ownership and riding NEEDS straight shootin, call it like it is, honest reporting like you do brother!!! :thumbsup:

I just can't agree with this post. I came to the conclusion long ago that the problem with heat from any motorcycle varies between riders. I saw the pictures that you referenced on Facebook and have no idea how that could have happened. I can tell you for a fact that the heat from the 2018 Star Venture does not come close to what I experienced on my 2013 Harley Road Glide Ultra. That bike was HOT in may opinion. It's the only bike I ever owned that the heat was a real issue for me.

I say that heat is a subjective issue because I've seen posts on this forum from people complaining about the heat from the V4 Ventures. I always just shook my head and wondered how they could possibly feel that heat was an issue. Regardless of what kind of motorcycle you are riding, you have to know that if you are straddling a 1300 to 1900 cc motor, water or air cooled, there IS going to be some heat. Granted, there will likely be more from an air cooled engine than a water cooled engine.

There were at least two times on the Harley that I actually considered pulling over and trying to let it cool down because I was actually very uncomfortable from the heat. The first time was somewhat understandable because I was stuck in Chicago area traffic at a stop and go pace. It was brutal and I was standing on the floorboards trying to get away from it. The second time was a ride to Hilton Head. Even at highway speeds, it was pretty bad. My wife complained about here right foot feeling like it was burning even though she was wearing boots. To be fair though, it was close to 100 degrees outside and the humidity was around 90%. Not the best riding conditions. All I can say was that when we finally pulled into our hotel at Hilton Head, neither of us wanted to get back on that bike. You could actually see the heat waves coming off the engine.

When I bought the Venture in Buffalo, NY, I headed back home just before the afternoon rush hour traffic. It wasn't 100 degrees but it was above 80 and I did a good 20 or so miles in stop and go traffic with my feet down more than they were on the floorboards. Yes, I did feel a bit of heat but certainly nothing that I felt was excessive. Once I got through the toll gates and on the open road, it was a wonderful ride.

In short, I will admit that the bike puts out more heat than the RSV does and that was not unexpected. It is absolutely not to the level that I would consider it a problem in any way. I have since then added the lower wind deflectors and I'm sure that they will make a huge difference also. Also, when I bought the bike and headed home, I had not really looked at the various vent settings and adjustments though I don't think that any of those things matter in stop and go traffic on any bike.

In short, there have been relatively few complaints about the heat and absolutely more reports stating that there is not a major issue. I sincerely believe that some are just much more sensitive to heat than others.

I just can't agree with this post. I came to the conclusion long ago that the problem with heat from any motorcycle varies between riders. I saw the pictures that you referenced on Facebook and have no idea how that could have happened. I can tell you for a fact that the heat from the 2018 Star Venture does not come close to what I experienced on my 2013 Harley Road Glide Ultra. That bike was HOT in may opinion. It's the only bike I ever owned that the heat was a real issue for me.

I say that heat is a subjective issue because I've seen posts on this forum from people complaining about the heat from the V4 Ventures. I always just shook my head and wondered how they could possibly feel that heat was an issue. Regardless of what kind of motorcycle you are riding, you have to know that if you are straddling a 1300 to 1900 cc motor, water or air cooled, there IS going to be some heat. Granted, there will likely be more from an air cooled engine than a water cooled engine.

There were at least two times on the Harley that I actually considered pulling over and trying to let it cool down because I was actually very uncomfortable from the heat. The first time was somewhat understandable because I was stuck in Chicago area traffic at a stop and go pace. It was brutal and I was standing on the floorboards trying to get away from it. The second time was a ride to Hilton Head. Even at highway speeds, it was pretty bad. My wife complained about here right foot feeling like it was burning even though she was wearing boots. To be fair though, it was close to 100 degrees outside and the humidity was around 90%. Not the best riding conditions. All I can say was that when we finally pulled into our hotel at Hilton Head, neither of us wanted to get back on that bike. You could actually see the heat waves coming off the engine.

When I bought the Venture in Buffalo, NY, I headed back home just before the afternoon rush hour traffic. It wasn't 100 degrees but it was above 80 and I did a good 20 or so miles in stop and go traffic with my feet down more than they were on the floorboards. Yes, I did feel a bit of heat but certainly nothing that I felt was excessive. Once I got through the toll gates and on the open road, it was a wonderful ride.

In short, I will admit that the bike puts out more heat than the RSV does and that was not unexpected. It is absolutely not to the level that I would consider it a problem in any way. I have since then added the lower wind deflectors and I'm sure that they will make a huge difference also. Also, when I bought the bike and headed home, I had not really looked at the various vent settings and adjustments though I don't think that any of those things matter in stop and go traffic on any bike.

In short, there have been relatively few complaints about the heat and absolutely more reports stating that there is not a major issue. I sincerely believe that some are just much more sensitive to heat than others.

Possibly just another one of those cases of "you can't believe everything ya read on Face Book" thingys brother :big-grin-emoticon:.. The burns those varmints over there are showing do look suspiciously like someone accidently backed into a hot wood stove on a cold winter morning trying to warm up!! :missingtooth:

If actually true though and folks do experience unmanageable heat from that rear pipe, I do HIGHLY recommend wrapping the pipe in pipe wrap to keep from getting burned like we old schoolers used to do,, it works and, IMHO,, LOOKS AWESOME!! :thumbsup:

I have one more thing to add to this thread. On the FB page you do not know if the rider had leathers or jeans. Maybe those riders had shorts on and got their lags cooked. I have seen plenty people riding in shorts and I will bet the farm that you have also.

I have one more thing to add to this thread. On the FB page you do not know if the rider had leathers or jeans. Maybe those riders had shorts on and got their lags cooked. I have seen plenty people riding in shorts and I will bet the farm that you have also.

Shorts? Your talking to someone who likes to ride Necked Roller,,, where I;m going I dont even need short's :big-grin-emoticon:

GOOD POINT THOUGH BROTHER!! :thumbsup:

After reading @Freebirds response and having reread Neil's report (they are the only two Varmints that I have met in person who are contributing to the delima), the thought popped into my mind of maybe the riders inseam length has something to do with it,, if its real at all... If a person has shorter legs then a longer legged person, the closeness to the pipe could change. I know that Neil is somewhat shorter in height than Don is,, just some thoughts..

That is a good point also. I was actually talking to @ChiefGunner on the telephone this weekend and this subject came up. He also mentioned to me that he wondered if a person's height or leg length might play a factor. He is tall like I am and hasn't had any issues with heat either. Maybe somebody with shorter legs is forced to keep them closer in. I don't know.

That is a good point also. I was actually talking to @ChiefGunner on the telephone this weekend and this subject came up. He also mentioned to me that he wondered if a person's height or leg length might play a factor. He is tall like I am and hasn't had any issues with heat either. Maybe somebody with shorter legs is forced to keep them closer in. I don't know.

Freebird I think you are on to something with leg length. The longer from the foot to the knee the higher the thigh will be from the pipe when feet are in the floorboards.

“I am sorry folks but the 3rd gen is for the BIg Boys only ...”

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freebird I think you are on to something with leg length. The longer from the foot to the knee the higher the thigh will be from the pipe when feet are in the floorboards.

“I am sorry folks but the 3rd gen is for the BIg Boys only ...”

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep,, IMHO too @Freebird made a good point brother - definitely something to consider!! Thanks for the input Neil!

Yep, I did give you the credit when I posted but I guess it got missed. What you said may be making some sense. If that is the case though, it's a shame because the low seat height and handling makes this a great bike for people of all heights.

I'm just shy of 5'7. Though warmer than my 2nd gen, heat hasn't been a problem for me. A portion of the 17K miles I put on the bike before getting taken out by that in attentive car driver were me commuting from MD into DC for work every day.

The additional lowers should have come standard.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Let me share this thought.

Many years back I was involved (I've mentioned this) with energy and heat transfer mediums. The education taught me much that I have used or transferred to other things.

In an air cooled bike (I have 3) the oil has to carry and release the heat energy thru design cooling exchanges. This is an important factor in lube engineering. The volume passing through the exchanger (what ever the design) has limited exposure to cooling because there is no mistreat the cycle is continuous!

So the choice of oil is very important and its ability to shed or release heat is a design compromise and factor.

A racing oil will tend to work more effectively at higher than street temperatures, fine for track but a bad idea for...

So perhaps ask which oils are being used, who konws where the question may lead?

Patch

Let me share this thought.

Many years back I was involved (I've mentioned this) with energy and heat transfer mediums. The education taught me much that I have used or transferred to other things.

In an air cooled bike (I have 3) the oil has to carry and release the heat energy thru design cooling exchanges. This is an important factor in lube engineering. The volume passing through the exchanger (what ever the design) has limited exposure to cooling because there is no mistreat the cycle is continuous!

So the choice of oil is very important and its ability to shed or release heat is a design compromise and factor.

A racing oil will tend to work more effectively at higher than street temperatures, fine for track but a bad idea for...

So perhaps ask which oils are being used, who konws where the question may lead?

Patch

IMHO, all of the Air Cooled scoots I have owned/ridden over the years were obviously and quickly observed as being air cooled due to the cooling fins surrounding the combustion chamber. Those fins were fully functional as a means for acting like a heat sink and discharging heat being produced by the combustion taking place in the chamber. None of my early Honda's or HD's had "exchangers" or oil coolers for actively cooling the oil until I ended up with brand new Shovel Head Low Rider which came with an exchanger right from HD - the exchanger was an aftermarket unit though and obviously a "test" on HD's part to see if this would help in displacing engine heat.

Shortly before I got out of the business HD was working on oil spraying the under sides of the pistons on their Big Twins along with Water Cooling the exhaust valves in an effort to reduce some of the heat dissapation required by the typical/normal "fin" design that has been around since the early 1900's.. IMHO, even that RnD is actually based more on meeting EPA regs and conforming to them without having to go to the more efficient fully Water Cooled design which may end up cost them in buyer numbers....

IMHO, all of the Air Cooled scoots I have owned/ridden over the years were obviously and quickly observed as being air cooled due to the cooling fins surrounding the combustion chamber. Those fins were fully functional as a means for acting like a heat sink and discharging heat being produced by the combustion taking place in the chamber. None of my early Honda's or HD's had "exchangers" or oil coolers for actively cooling the oil until I ended up with brand new Shovel Head Low Rider which came with an exchanger right from HD - the exchanger was an aftermarket unit though and obviously a "test" on HD's part to see if this would help in displacing engine heat.

Shortly before I got out of the business HD was working on oil spraying the under sides of the pistons on their Big Twins along with Water Cooling the exhaust valves in an effort to reduce some of the heat dissapation required by the typical/normal "fin" design that has been around since the early 1900's.. IMHO, even that RnD is actually based more on meeting EPA regs and conforming to them without having to go to the more efficient fully Water Cooled design which may end up cost them in buyer numbers....

Yep!

Like cutting coolant to 50/50 properties, the ability to absorb is also cut but the ability to release/discharge is increased.

Back to the complications of oils, as you mention above spraying the back of the piston reduces or maintains a more consistent piston temp, and thus reducing expansion and hot spots but there are trade offs... Oils need to maintain a constancy to maintain pressure while refreshing around the tight areas such as journals; yet must flow enough to not coke or gum. Racing oils may choose a formula that deals with the added heat from the added duty of piston cooling by increasing viscosity and by becoming more sticky at higher temps,,,, but there's a cost in balance at the inner shell of the piston which can have the opiate effect increasing expansion and slap from that same oil promising to compensate for it in their marketing statements in the first place and; all the while holding more heat in the sump!

Nuts right cause you know they'll just tell you you need a larger capacity cooler to undo what they sold you on in the first place?

In short some oils perform well in and under lab conditions but not necessarily a better choice for engine management conditions...

Yep!

Like cutting coolant to 50/50 properties, the ability to absorb is also cut but the ability to release/discharge is increased.

Back to the complications of oils, as you mention above spraying the back of the piston reduces or maintains a more consistent piston temp, and thus reducing expansion and hot spots but there are trade offs... Oils need to maintain a constancy to maintain pressure while refreshing around the tight areas such as journals; yet must flow enough to not coke or gum. Racing oils may choose a formula that deals with the added heat from the added duty of piston cooling by increasing viscosity and by becoming more sticky at higher temps,,,, but there's a cost in balance at the inner shell of the piston which can have the opiate effect increasing expansion and slap from that same oil promising to compensate for it in their marketing statements in the first place and; all the while holding more heat in the sump!

Nuts right cause you know they'll just tell you you need a larger capacity cooler to undo what they sold you on in the first place?

In short some oils perform well in and under lab conditions but not necessarily a better choice for engine management conditions...

Yeppers,, and then if you toss in clutch fiber clutch plates and constant shearing taking place if the engine and tranny share fluids,, things really get more complicated as to what oils you can get away with using long term = especially if talking touring thru various environments (sitting in traffic in Vegas at 112 degrees creeping forward occasionally so you cant shut the bike off and then over the Rockies in an ice storm on the same day) that happens frequently on touring bikes.

Sorry I'm late to the Thread. Height and Leg position have a lot to do with it. I just picked up my 2018 (sold my 2006) 2 weeks ago. After a little over 1000 miles and playing around with riding position I can vouch for this. I have a 28 - 29" inseam and just under 5'7". I feel the increased heat when I stretch out, the little I can :-) as it puts my thigh closer to the bike in general. Also playing with the location of the back rest I find moving the back rest forward and sitting with my feet back on the foot board mitigates some of the heat. I have not found the heat to be excessive at any point though, even stretched out. Getting ready to leave on a trip to Big Bend, TX which will end up being around 2K miles after the side rides we have planned. Areas out there are desert, mountain desert as well as plateau with temps expected to be from 60 at night to just under 100 during the day so I will definitely be able to give a short legged view point of heat.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry I'm late to the Thread. Height and Leg position have a lot to do with it. I just picked up my 2018 (sold my 2006) 2 weeks ago. After a little over 1000 miles and playing around with riding position I can vouch for this. I have a 28 - 29" inseam and just under 5'7". I feel the increased heat when I stretch out, the little I can :-) as it puts my thigh closer to the bike in general. Also playing with the location of the back rest I find moving the back rest forward and sitting with my feet back on the foot board mitigates some of the heat. I have not found the heat to be excessive at any point though, even stretched out. Getting ready to leave on a trip to Big Bend, TX which will end up being around 2K miles after the side rides we have planned. Areas out there are desert, mountain desert as well as plateau with temps expected to be from 60 at night to just under 100 during the day so I will definitely be able to give a short legged view point of heat.

I just got back from our Big Bend Trip, a little over 2200 miles. Awesome trip with many great runs. As far as heat goes there were no real issues at all. While actually in Big Bend and Terlingua TX temps we 95-101 for the 3 days there and it was a little warmer on my left leg than my Gen 2 but it was nothing to raise concern. We were at 45 mph for nearly 2 hours in the park and below that many times. Going up into the Chisos Basin where it was 97 we were below 30 mph and there were no issues there at all but I was also changing riding positions in the twisties. I did notice that when I stretched out a little or sat up straight I could feel more heat as my thigh was pressing against the bike a little more. Again nothing to be concerned about. Coming back towards east TX (San Antonio) to hit the 3 Sisters we had rain and cooler weather so there we 0 issues with heat.

I just got back from our Big Bend Trip, a little over 2200 miles. Awesome trip with many great runs. As far as heat goes there were no real issues at all. While actually in Big Bend and Terlingua TX temps we 95-101 for the 3 days there and it was a little warmer on my left leg than my Gen 2 but it was nothing to raise concern. We were at 45 mph for nearly 2 hours in the park and below that many times. Going up into the Chisos Basin where it was 97 we were below 30 mph and there were no issues there at all but I was also changing riding positions in the twisties. I did notice that when I stretched out a little or sat up straight I could feel more heat as my thigh was pressing against the bike a little more. Again nothing to be concerned about. Coming back towards east TX (San Antonio) to hit the 3 Sisters we had rain and cooler weather so there we 0 issues with heat.

Good ride report. Thx

I lived in the Hill Country for several years and it was great motorcycle riding.

--

I suppose Yamaha anticipated more heat in that area as the pipe has two layers of shield. I imagine one could try wrapping them--not sure how well it would fit around. Haven't tried it yet. One thing I've found is that wrap I've used on other bikes only works for a short time before the heat comes through anyway.

--