IGNORED

The PO's rear master cylinder fix

As long as that rubber hose is brake line hose, and none of the joints are leaking, and the reservoir seals air tight, it should be fine.

That said it looks like rubber fuel line that will break down in contact with brake fluid.

That metal joint looks like a threaded electrical conduit fitting with the rubber hose trying to seal on the threads.

The reservoir looks to be all metal, but I doubt if it has a bladder in it to stay air tight while still allowing for expansion and contraction of the fluid.

As long as that rubber hose is brake line hose, and none of the joints are leaking, and the reservoir seals air tight, it should be fine.

That said it looks like rubber fuel line that will break down in contact with brake fluid.

That metal joint looks like a threaded electrical conduit fitting with the rubber hose trying to seal on the threads.

The reservoir looks to be all metal, but I doubt if it has a bladder in it to stay air tight while still allowing for expansion and contraction of the fluid.

Yes, I believe it is rubber fuel line and it does appear to be breaking down. I see some aging, dry rot-like appearance. I was thinking the same thing on that metal joint. Rather unconventional! I think his intent was to provide for a more precice 90-degree turn than what rubber hose itself would do.

The reservoir itself appears to be of nice quality, perhaps painted billet aluminum if my guess is correct. It does have internals, so it appears legitimate inside. I've not see one like it. Seems to work well, so I think I'm ok with it.

I'll ask around to find and correct brake fluid compatable hose and get that old one off of there.

I'll see if I can rig up a heat shield as well--but according to my manual, the original reservoir is mounted in about the same spot....is this not correct?

Hi Coolwind57

Have you pulled the hoses off to inspect the fitting on the reservoir and MC , is barbed on both? it could be possible to make a steel line to fit?

you have a few potential leak points in that setup even eliminating a couple would ease the mind, just my 2 cents.

Hermank84VR

If the rubber line shows effects of breaking down, it would be time to clean the whole system or the MC will show signs of contamination and refuse to accommodate the requested inputs from the rider. Other than that, I'm with the Fool on this one.

Yup, replace that line! As far as an actual reservoir goes, there is no pressure in it so anything that can hold brake fluid and can be sealed can be used. Wilwood makes several sizes and shapes that could be used. As a matter of fact I have several from different master cylinder kits left over from my rear brake project on the trike. I'll look later and get back to you if you like...

PS maybe one from a 2nd Gen could be made to fit, I think I have one of those extra too...

OK, here's what I have. First is two different size Wilwood reservoirs, the smaller one is probably most suited. I*'m sure the mounting bracket could be hacked up so it would mount close to stock.

Dscn9670.jpg

This is comparing to a stock 2nd generation reservoir which would probably be too small as the 1st generation feeds 2 calipers whereas the 2nd generation only feeds 1...

Dscn9672.jpg

I don't have a stock 1st generation rear reservoir handy, but it is pretty close in size to a 2nd generation front but a little taller...

Dscn9673.jpg

Anyways, the reservoir is just setting in a drawer doing me no good, so if you want it free, just drop me a PM with your address. You're on your own for the hose. The reason yours was replaced is because it is common for the filler part of the original reservoir to get broken off trying to remove the filler cap if you twist the wrench at the wrong angle and don't secure the neck properly! Very common failure!!!

OK, here's what I have. First is two different size Wilwood reservoirs, the smaller one is probably most suited. I*'m sure the mounting bracket could be hacked up so it would mount close to stock.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115820

This is comparing to a stock 2nd generation reservoir which would probably be too small as the 1st generation feeds 2 calipers whereas the 2nd generation only feeds 1...

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115821

I don't have a stock 1st generation rear reservoir handy, but it is pretty close in size to a 2nd generation front but a little taller...

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115822

Anyways, the reservoir is just setting in a drawer doing me no good, so if you want it free, just drop me a PM with your address. You're on your own for the hose. The reason yours was replaced is because it is common for the filler part of the original reservoir to get broken off trying to remove the filler cap if you twist the wrench at the wrong angle and don't secure the neck properly! Very common failure!!!

I actually like what I see,, maybe not all of the finished product BUT, mostly because of what Bongo stated above = someone obviously took some steps for improvement AND he told you about it!! Looking at the picture of what the guy came up with (and I may be seeing things) - I think I see a window at the bottom of the replacement res that indicates to me that whoever replaced the OEM = used an actual Brake Res for replacement.. I actually admire the guy for doing something and telling you he did it. One of my 1st Gens came to me with 24k miles on it, original owner, blown second gear (why I got it so cheap) but the scoot was really purdy. The guy I got it from said he bought it new, rode it very little but the shop he bought it from did all the maintenance/oil changes and stuff on it. Crazy as it sounds, got it home, was going thru things (bike had sat for a long time) including brake fluid swap,, went to pull the plug on the OEM res and the plug with a large chunck of the res spilt off with hardly no pressure at all.. Looking closely at the part in my hand I clearly could see that someone had snapped the thing off in the past and made a nice, but VERY temporary, repair of the area with some form of adhesive :smash2: instead of replacing the broken res.. Of course,, from what the guy who I bought the bike from had told me,, I could only assume that probably, somewhere, in some back room of a Yamaha Shop, works a mechanic who.... Personally,, I would have rather of seen what you have there Cool!!:happy34:

If the hoses are in fact deterorating,, no,, regardless of that,,,, if it were mine I would pull the hose from the connection where it attaches to the master cylinder and,, wait a second,, just go to this link and follow the suggestion for cleaning things up = you may be very glad you did:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?12536-Stranded-with-brakes-sticking-and-heating-up-Read-this

Hi Coolwind57

Have you pulled the hoses off to inspect the fitting on the reservoir and MC , is barbed on both? it could be possible to make a steel line to fit?

you have a few potential leak points in that setup even eliminating a couple would ease the mind, just my 2 cents.

Hermank84VR

I haven't yet pulled them. I will probably do so this weekend. I was thinking the same way on all those joints. If I can go steel, I will but I'm thinking they're likely barbed under there. If I have to use rubber, I'll certainly run a single piece. That metal 90 that the PO used seems a bit unnecessary.

Cowpuc: I see what you're seeing in the picture, but I don't recall seeing a viewing window when I inspected the reservoir live. I'll look again tomorrow, as I've retired for the night. By the way, I feel like I'm talking to a celebrity....you're kind of famous Cowpuc!

I see what looks like it would be a sight glass, but if it is a sight glass it is located below where the hose is connected so it would not do much sighting.

I thought that same thing Jeff but figured what the hayy,, for a replacement Res - if it did have a site glass it probably indicates it is an actual Brake Res,, maybe for 2001 JuJitsu Mini Bike but still worthy of the job :biker:

By the way, I feel like I'm talking to a celebrity....you're kind of famous Cowpuc!

:scared:,,:think:,,, brother I dont know what beddy bye Fairy Tale books you been reading to your kids Wendy but I guarantee you that I am not in em :rasberry:.. You aint livin in one of those zones where Pot got legalized and campin downwind of some Acapolco Gold franchise are ya :detective::hihi:

:big-grin-emoticon: