IGNORED

When did you know

Red Ryder

Hey Trike owners, when did you know it's time?

On Monday this week sat on new Venture, 950lbs. Asked wife if she wanted to get on, said No which surprised me, she Loved our 03 RSV, her Favorite bike. But, I believe she seen me struggling with the weight. Though well balanced, the 2018 weights 100 lbs more than our 08 Harley Ultra, that sometimes I struggle, especially two up, fully loaded.

Put a double sidecar on Harley for grandchildren, but the bike worked hard. Last fall bought a 1988 honda goldwing gl1500 with double sidecar and it moves, fast. Will admit it is easy getting used to not worring about weight.

But, I don't really care for the style of ride on the wing, I am more of that laid back 70's style, like on the RSV or Harley.

No sob story but in 09 fell out of tree stand 23', re-broke back, and my wild younger years is catching up. That's part of reason selling RSV, going to Harley Heritage, then a few years later back to a dresser in the Harley Ultra.

So, I think I am ready to suck up my pride and realize if I am going to continue riding in my later years I will have to Trike or Sidecar.

Been looking, a Hannigan Trike RSV in Blue or Burgandy sure is beautiful looking.

What do you all think?

Hey Trike owners, when did you know it's time?

On Monday this week sat on new Venture, 950lbs. Asked wife if she wanted to get on, said No which surprised me, she Loved our 03 RSV, her Favorite bike. But, I believe she seen me struggling with the weight. Though well balanced, the 2018 weights 100 lbs more than our 08 Harley Ultra, that sometimes I struggle, especially two up, fully loaded.

Put a double sidecar on Harley for grandchildren, but the bike worked hard. Last fall bought a 1988 honda goldwing gl1500 with double sidecar and it moves, fast. Will admit it is easy getting used to not worring about weight.

But, I don't really care for the style of ride on the wing, I am more of that laid back 70's style, like on the RSV or Harley.

No sob story but in 09 fell out of tree stand 23', re-broke back, and my wild younger years is catching up. That's part of reason selling RSV, going to Harley Heritage, then a few years later back to a dresser in the Harley Ultra.

So, I think I am ready to suck up my pride and realize if I am going to continue riding in my later years I will have to Trike or Sidecar.

Been looking, a Hannigan Trike RSV in Blue or Burgandy sure is beautiful looking.

What do you all think?

Recently rode some Can Am products. Did you know that the 3 wheel Spyders have power steering? I maybe could get used to that.

Personally, I love secure feeling of a trike. Three wheels have saved my tail several times. Triked my '09 RSV in 2010 with only 100 miles. Since then, have driven 50K+ miles in 48 states with minor issues. Most of the time I travel alone, and trike has never left me on the side of the road. Yes, ride is different. Even with EZ-steer, you develop Popeye arms on twisties. Actually, I don't mind this workout. RSV looses top speed and gas mileage when it is triked. Can travel 80 mph, but fuel economy suffers. Try to stay at 65 mph on highways. Doing so, get 30 mpg. Trike really feels great on open road. 18-wheelers and cross winds don't blow me off the road. Have Michelin Commander II rear tire in front and Michelin 80,000 mile car tires from Costco in back. Tires are little concern and never had a flat. Sometimes miss sportier ride, but at 71, appreciate comfort of my trike.

Dragon.jpg

Edited by leo3wheel

Cam-am's are nice, but not sure if it is for me. Have few friends that plan on buying them in few years.

lol, Mentioned to my wife yesturday afternoon I am checking out the gym. Cannot run, due to back, but I Diffenently need a Exercise program.

I had a lighter Bikes in a v-star 1100 and Heritage and enjoyed them, but momma did not, so went larger.

My knees made the decision for me. I was having a hard time holding the bike up when stopping while two up. (About 95% of my riding)

Almost lost it several times with Shirley on the back. We both miss laying the bike over in the curves but the third wheel hasn't slowed me down either.

The RSV/Hannigan handles the mountains great.

lol, Mentioned to my wife yesturday afternoon I am checking out the gym. Cannot run, due to back, but I Diffenently need a Exercise program.

I had a lighter Bikes in a v-star 1100 and Heritage and enjoyed them, but momma did not, so went larger.

Pushups maybe from the knee, situps, and squats don't require a gym and it's a good way to get started. I do those plus I've had a total gym for about 20 yrs that I use to do pullovers and arm curls. I only do one set 3 times a week. It helps a bunch.

Personally, I love secure feeling of a trike. Three wheels have saved my tail several times. Triked my '09 RSV in 2010 with only 100 miles. Since then, have driven 50K+ miles in 48 states with minor issues. Most of the time I travel alone, and trike has never left me on the side of the road. Yes, ride is different. Even with EZ-steer, you develop Popeye arms on twisties. Actually, I don't mind this workout. RSV looses top speed and gas mileage when it is triked. Can travel 80 mph, but fuel economy suffers. Try to stay at 65 mph on highways. Doing so, get 30 mpg. Trike really feels great on open road. 18-wheelers and cross winds don't blow me off the road. Have Michelin Commander II rear tire in front and Michelin 80,000 mile car tires from Costco in back. Tires are little concern and never had a flat. Sometimes miss sportier ride, but at 71, appreciate comfort of my trike.

Leo, thank you for the reply, that is a Awsome looking trike!

Not sure in Michigan you can go 65 mpr on highways, get run over, they go 75-85 here.

I think Trikes look really cool, always liked that look, well, love all motorcycles.

Pushups maybe from the knee, situps, and squats don't require a gym and it's a good way to get started. I do those plus I've had a total gym for about 20 yrs that I use to do pullovers and arm curls. I only do one set 3 times a week. It helps a bunch.

Thanks Bill, I need to do pushup and some situps for sure.

Used to prior to injuries, then I couldn't until healed, and never regained that habit, but Thank You.

Back in 2010, I dropped the RSV for the 2nd time. The wife very firmly told me "You're triking it!!!"

With type 2 diabetes and peripheral neuropathy, I have to admit I was having a bit of a hard time with it so I consented to it. We went the Hannigan route but after shelling out all that money first for the bike and second for the conversion if I had to do it all over again I would have bought a ready-made used one. I have well over 30K invested in mine and would jump up and down for joy to get 20K, realistically I would expect 15K. Mine is modified from stock Hannigan.

I know what you mean about the new Venture, at just shy of a half ton it is a little on the scary side but when I test drove one last summer I was surprised at how well it handled, but I was scared stiff of dropping it!

Leo, thank you for the reply, that is a Awsome looking trike!

Not sure in Michigan you can go 65 mpr on highways, get run over, they go 75-85 here.

I think Trikes look really cool, always liked that look, well, love all motorcycles.

So wife is nervous about getting on Gen 3, but not riding at 75-85 mph? My wife would be breaking my ribs. :shock3:

I bought my 500lb ZN700 when I was working a contract job in WI in order to have a hobby while there. The job which was supposed to be a long term job ended when the plant ran out of money and management wouldn't give them any more. So, I was going to dump it on craigslist for whatever I could get for it. But the wife says bring it home. I want to ride it with you. So, I bought a $600 trailer from Lowes and brought it home. Then she didn't want to ride more than 45mph on the way to the beach in a 55 zone. I refused of course to ride slower than the traffic. So, then she decided the seat was too uncomfortable anyway so she wouldn't ride with me any more. So that my friends is why I bought the 89 Venture, to get a bike with a comfortable passenger seat. Then I had a bad habit of looking at bikes for sale on craigslist and the 07 Venture was too good of a deal to pass up....... Since then, I have quit looking at craigslist......

My wife has not ridden with me on either one of the Ventures:crying:

I always liked the looks of a trike, even when I was much younger I liked them. I stumbled across a deal to good to pass up so I rented a car, drove to Ohio and rode it home, learned alot in the 500plus mile trip home. Planned on flipping it in the spring, but the more I rode it the more I liked it. Hard to beat the stability, extra storage and peace of mind of a trike. I have the Hannigan 07 and the blue and chrome looks awesome IMHO. Never quite understood the "old man" mentality that keeps some guys from riding one, but hey, to each his own.

Craig

Guess I should have made mention that because of my past injuries my knees are not the greatest and I get some numbness in hands and feet, also lack of strength in my back.

But, the only problems I really have is riding with wife on and especially fully loaded trips. It is difficult at a stop light on a steep incline, or slow moving. I have not tipped the bike over, but have come close, think experience has helped me.

Before I spend the money on a trike I am going to start a workout routine during these winter months. But thinking that either way down the road I will have to Trike or go a much lighter bike.

Thank You-

Guess I should have made mention that because of my past injuries my knees are not the greatest and I get some numbness in hands and feet, also lack of strength in my back.

But, the only problems I really have is riding with wife on and especially fully loaded trips. It is difficult at a stop light on a steep incline, or slow moving. I have not tipped the bike over, but have come close, think experience has helped me.

Before I spend the money on a trike I am going to start a workout routine during these winter months. But thinking that either way down the road I will have to Trike or go a much lighter bike.

Thank You-

If your wife rides with you, you won't like a lighter bike. Don't wait until you dump your bike before you to decide to trike. Most likely cheaper to buy a used trike rather than convert. Working out is always a good thing to do. Good luck with your decisions.

Red Ryder,

I'll give you my take. The short is you will know because you will feel very uncomfortable when on 2 wheels. 3 wheel riding is better than no riding. You had a sidecar but did you have the steering kit on it. I understand that makes the steering like power steering.

When I was 66 I had what they call sixth nerve palsy, doctor talk for double vision. It was somewhat corrected with a prism on my glasses. I was fortunate, I got over it in 12 weeks, usually takes 6 months. But I began thinking 2 wheels may not be in my future riding. At that point i rented a Can Am for two days. I loved it but not as well as two wheels. I had already ridden a trike and did not like it. I researched sidecars. I even went to Hannigan in Kentucky. I like the sidecar idea, but wow, expensive. Once you have the MC set up properly for one including the steering can't just take it off. I even took a MSF sidecar class.

Once I recovered from my double vision I did not ever feel I had to give up two wheels even at age 67 after dropping my VTX 1300 (while riding solo) and breaking my leg while in Nova Scotia. I just said oh s...t my vacation is just ended. Med Jet shipped my VTX home for me at no cost.

However, then at 68 while two up I dropped my RSV while 1000 miles from home. I had some damage to the fairing but nothing serious. But this put some serious questions about myself in my head. Every time I stopped I was afraid it would happen again. Was I to stop riding or go to three wheels or what? I wasn't ready to stop riding. I visited Hannigan again.

The first time in NS really did not bother me. The second time I began thinking. Dangerous, I know.

Upon arrival back home I started looking at alternatives. I had already test rode a Can Am for two days so I knew them. I had ridden a trike, liked the Cam Am better. I visited Hannigan twice for sidecars. I even took a MSF sidecar riding class.

I lowered my RSV with Race Tech up front and Barons at the rear.

I am now 70 still able to comfortably ride my lowered RSV two up. I prefer solo. I have decided that if I still want to ride after I do not feel comfortable touring on two wheels I'll either buy a Can Am or go with a sidecar properly set up. If I am done with touring but still want to ride locally, I'll go with a smaller motorcycle.

This is just my feeling. My buddy said when he can't ride on 2 wheels he will finish life riding his Lazy Boy. That is what one of my uncles did. He died being miserable and making everyone else miserable. He was too proud or whatever to go to 3 wheels.

Good luck on your decision. If you are like me once I decide and drop the money I am stuck with my decision.

I decided to go CanAM, not because I had to, but it seemed like the right thing to do. I had dropped the 85 a couple of times, but there was always a good reason, so dropping it because of itself was not listed. Marca developed a bad knee for a while and had a pain in her back which made it very difficult for her to get on the 85 while I was on it. There was no way she was climbing aboard by her self and then it would be too much for me to lift anyways, so an alternative was in the making and the Spyder presented itself very nicely. The last couple of years she hasn't ridden that much, and no daylong rides anymore either, actually riding has taken a backseat to other things, and that is somewhat due to other things and the weather, so we'll see what happens for the future. Whatever,, we are happy with 3 wheels, power assist steering, stable at the gas pumps, no issues in farmers fields and good gas mileage. Even use car tires.

If your wife rides with you, you won't like a lighter bike. Don't wait until you dump your bike before you to decide to trike. Most likely cheaper to buy a used trike rather than convert. Working out is always a good thing to do. Good luck with your decisions.

Hey Leo, your right about that. Been thru many bikes, of my last four the wife thought the 04 v-star 1100 was okay, then she Loved the 03 RSV. After accident went to a lighter bike, a 08 harley heritage, she didn't care for the ride. Then to current bike of 08 harley ultra, Charlene likes it, but not as much as the RSV.

So, time will tell, and correct I will diffently take your advice and go used.

Have fun, Later-

In the 5+ years that Linda and I rode together, we both loved it. She was a great passenger and we had a lot of adventures and fun together, even towing the camper. About a year before we quit riding, we were on a narrow paved railroad bed that had been part of the Tweetsie Railroad many years ago. When the pavement ended, I was barely moving and touched my front brake and did not realize I was on some fine gravel and it caused us to do a slow tip over. Neither of us got hurt, but when I picked up the bike, and being type II diabetic for 30+ years, I ended up having a massive vitreous hemorrhage with half of my vision black in my right eye the next morning. I had surgery, that turned into a detached retina and then more vessel problems that ended up with a small window of distorted vision. But, we still rode for another year.

Then one day Linda told me that as much as she loved to ride, she was just not comfortable being on the bike. Not from discomfort, but just being with traffic with so many people not paying much attention to their driving and having several close calls. I rode a few times after that, but just did not enjoy riding solo that much.

I considered trikeing a 1500 Goldwing that I have, but for what is was going to cost, I added one more wheel than a trike and bought two Miatas. They have been a wonderful alternative to riding a big bike and for those that just don't want a trike or don't want to spend the money a trike cost, it is a good option.

Randy

Tip and I pretty much knew at about my 1 year post op from my Cancer surgery. Although OVER JOYED with finally finding out what was causing the extreme tiredness that would over take me, we were warned by the Cancer people that due to my age, even with a good excerise program and watching what I eat that the need to drop everything and sleep may be with me for the rest of my life. We gave it one more shot last year with our annual tour to the west coast aboard Tweeksis and it just did not work. After stopping numerous times during ride time so I could sleep for an hour or so in a Burger King or stretched out under a tree in a parking lot, we decided to change directions and look seriously at other options. We looked at Miata's (I LOVE what Randy and Linda are all about!!) and Jeeps (FUNNEST CAGE I EVER HAD WAS MY 1974 CJ5) but they afforded no where to sleep internally, we looked at Motorhomes and trucks with trailers but those were way to civilized for our doings. While looking for answers on YouTube I noticed a youngsters video about "Prius Camping". A little more digging,, finding the AC in a hybrid works off the Battery, little more investigating and BAM - we ended up with a brand new left over 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Blue that we were able to drive off the lot for $18,754 cash. I can now sleep inside if I need to while Tip continues the journey if she wants to. The amazing little car gets a consistent 59mpg and more if I am careful PLUS, while camping in the desert heat of Yuma Az after really nice nights sleep for both Tip and I in a climate controlled environment out in the middle of nowhere (our speciality) we awoke to find out that the overnight AC cost us less than 1 gallon of fuel!! Life is good if ya make it be!!

The end,,, nope,, take it back,, how about a whole new beginning!:beer:

Thank You Leroy, Marcarl, Randy, Cowpuck, and everyone!

Think I will take it slow on finding a RSV Trike Unless a Super deal comes along, you know garage find.

The 88 gl1500 with a California double sidecar is set up great and raked. Maybe some relocation improvements to shifter, brake and handlebars, I might like it better.

I do enjoy it, and Grandchildren have a blast.

I could always trike the harley, but it is under powered to me without a trike kit.

All I know is the Mrs and I truly loved the 03 RSV. Still is her Favorite bike of all times.

Later-

When I nearly dropped the venture three times in one day. At 75 I was starting to feel the weight. Sold it and bought a Yamaha star 1300 delux. Lighter, lower, reliable and still goes pretty good.

I rented a Slingshot when we were in Sedona last October. If I were to go to three wheels I think that might be the way i would go. I do like the looks of the three wheel Ventures though but the performance of the Slingshot was hard to beat.

When I nearly dropped the venture three times in one day. At 75 I was starting to feel the weight. Sold it and bought a Yamaha star 1300 delux. Lighter, lower, reliable and still goes pretty good.

I rented a Slingshot when we were in Sedona last October. If I were to go to three wheels I think that might be the way i would go. I do like the looks of the three wheel Ventures though but the performance of the Slingshot was hard to beat.

and then there is always the alternative route Sailor!! Decisions Decisions Decision's!!