IGNORED

HELP!!! I'm being discriminated against!

a1bummer

I had ask others about this possible problem a while back in here before. Yesterday after class here at the CVTC, (Chippewa Valley Technical Institute), in Eau Claire, WI., there was a parking ticket on my bike both for it not being a MC parking space and that I was parked in a disabled parking space. I do Have a disabled parking permit. And I do have a legitimate and very well documented disability. For some reason though, even after 2.5 years of having these problems, my doctor will only give me a temporary disabled parking permit. After my last post on this subject, I did find out that WI. does have disabled plates for motorcycles, but only for permanent disabilities. So that mean that until my doctor gives me permanent disabled status, I have nothing I can legally display on my bike to show I have a problem. Anyhow the jerks down at the parking enforcement, even though they have seen the proof that I have documented disability, refuse to void out this ticket. Depending on how a person interprets the paperwork I got with the parking permit, it can be a little confusing. They way I read it is that the permit is not valid on a mc so therefore I needn't display it on my mc. The guy behind the counter at the DMV agreed and told me to carry my paperwork if there was ever any question. The jackass here at the CVTC parking enforcement interprets it that motorcycles are not permitted to park in the disabled parking spaces period! She called someone at the DOT, and the woman on the other end agreed with her. She also stated that only a mc with disabled plates are permitted to park there. Therefore this would mean that if I have a temporary disability and a motorcycle, I don't have the right to park there. But on the other hand if it's a permanent disability and I have a bike with disabled plates only, then I have a right the right to park there. But still even with all that, I still can't park in one of there car parking spaces with my bike. Does this sound like some discrimination going on or what? Should I start looking for a lawyer? Any input on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I rode my bike to school again today, so I expect to find more tickets on my bike again. If this is the way it is gonna have to be, I will not be able to get to my classes anymore.

than sympathy. I am not familiar with the laws in VA, let alone WI, but I know that I am sick of people talking about my bike taking up a parking spot. Three of us who ride to work ended up parked beside each other by coincidence earlier this week and people were saying it was not right how much space we were taking up.

My feeling is that I drove 1 vehicle and I get 1 space. If i had driven my Ram 2500 van and parked it like my wife I would have taken up 2 spaces. :stirthepot:

I said that if they create a dedicated motorcycle only section (right in front of the building, of course) then I could be encouraged to use it, but unitl then I will occupy 1 space with 1 vehicle.

Hope you get it worked out and get them off your back!

One vehicle, one space was what I told these guys too. By the way, I went outside and checked my bike a bit ago and sure enough... ticket number 2 in as many days. This would make 3 total since last fall. The first was voided out when the guy saw the flaw in this situation. Why the change of heart? Who knows?:confused24:

One vehicle, one space was what I told these guys too. By the way, I went outside and checked my bike a bit ago and sure enough... ticket number 2 in as many days. This would make 3 total since last fall. The first was voided out when the guy saw the flaw in this situation. Why the change of heart? Who knows?:confused24:

I think I might see about getting the press involved. Newspapers and Local TV stations love this kind of stupidity. You would be surprised what a little negative publicity does to elected officials.

The fact that a motorcycle is defined as a Motor Vehicle . That's about covered in every state and that this MC (Motor Vehicle) is licensed by that state . Being either a plate or a placard which states that this can be used on "ANY LICENSED MOTOR VEHICLE" and the bearer of that plate or placard can legally park in any disabled parking spot , unless posted "NO MC" . Now I ask , was that HC parking spot clearly without obstruction view , a sign that says "NO MOTORCYCLES" ?

Whether the Dr, issues you a document , that you in turn take to the DMV and therefore issued a plate or placard , whether it is permanent or temporary constitutes you have the right to park in that designated area . "PERIOD" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In this situation , I believe you are being wrongfully discriminated and if this on a local level cannot be resolved , I suggest that you contact your congressman/woman and clearly explain your case and that your being discriminated according to the disability act .

:080402gudl_prv:

BEER30

Good idea on the media thing. Fill them in with the facts, they may even suggest something. Have them film the bike with the ticket then have them follow you in and film while talking to the authorities. Up our way after three tickets they can tow. The good thing here in Toronto is MC parking on the streets is free, we’re also allowed to use the HOV lanes. In these economic and environmental times MC riding should be encouraged.

I too have a disability but haven’t applied for a permit. There are many people that can’t get their head around the idea that people with disabilities can ride a motorcycle. Good luck with your tickets. Please keep us informed. :080402gudl_prv:

Guest sadrand

Does your doctor know you are having these difficulties and still won't sign for a permanent plate? If not, I would make sure he knows about it and ask him again for a permanent plate. If he refuses, I would go to another doctor.

Try calling

CHIPPEWA VALLEY TECHNICAL COLLEGE

Disability Services

Or Call

715-833-6234

1-800-547-2882

Also there is the Students with Disability # 715-833-6234.

The rest of the College might be interested in what is going on. If that don't help call the TV and the Newspapers.

ADA Compliance

What is ADA?

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 prohibits discrimination solely on the basis of disability in employment, public services, and accommodations. The Department of Justice has ruled that it considers the Web a "place of public accommodation." People with disabilities have the same remedies that are available under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended in 1991. Thus, individuals who are discriminated against may file a complaint with the relevant federal agency or sue in federal court.

On August 7, 1998, President Clinton signed into law the Rehabilitation Act Amendments of 1998 which covers access to federally funded programs and services. The law strengthens section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and requires access to electronic and information technology provided by the Federal government. The law applies to all Federal agencies when they develop, procure, maintain, or use electronic and information technology. Federal agencies must ensure that this technology is accessible to employees and members of the public with disabilities to the extent it does not pose an "undue burden." The law also provides a complaint process under which complaints concerning access to technology will be investigated by the responsible Federal agency.

How Does it Affect Me?

CVTC Disability Services Department is committed to having all instruction provided by CVTC be accessible to students with disabilities. This includes instruction delivered in the classroom, via the Internet and or/recorded media in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 508 Guidelines of the Federal Electronic Rehabilitation Act. CVTC's public Web site, online library resources and instructional resources such as Blackboard will be accessible to student with disabilities. This folder contains documents, links and resources that are specific to meeting this shared institutional responsibility.

This is from the schools website

Try calling

CHIPPEWA VALLEY TECHNICAL COLLEGE

Disability Services

Or Call

715-833-6234

1-800-547-2882

Also there is the Students with Disability # 715-833-6234.

The rest of the College might be interested in what is going on. If that don't help call the TV and the Newspapers.

Got that number already. They are out today and tomorrow. But I will get ahold of them. Thanx very much for everyones support so far.

Does your doctor know you are having these difficulties and still won't sign for a permanent plate? If not, I would make sure he knows about it and ask him again for a permanent plate. If he refuses, I would go to another doctor.
this sounds like a plan. i don't think there is any discrimination it sounds like your breaking the law. if you don't have a valid handicap plate you will have to get one. or change the law.i have a handicap plate on my majesty scooter for my wife but not on my other bikes because her name is not on the registration. so we take the scooter to park legally. we also have a placard in our truck but it is registered to the truck so we can not legally use it on the motorcycles. if i park my bike with the car placard on it i expect to get a ticket because i am doing something illegal and i would have no complaint. so i don't do it. bill :)

Here in Florida you can hang the car handicapped tag on a bike as its registered to the disabled person, not the vehicle. We have dedicated mcy parking close to the front entrance at work so its really not a problem for me.

Get us the email addy and we will either change their minds or get you kicked out of school.LOL

You know how the members here like to make idjits see the light we will bombard them with questions all the way to the president of the school if need be.

Find a state trooper and talk to them about the laws regarding the school as the school should be under state control they should be able to get the morons to see the errors of the rules.

Jeff

i don't think there is any discrimination it sounds like your breaking the law. if you don't have a valid handicap plate you will have to get one. or change the law.

The HC cards aren't valid on a mc, I can ONLY get a hc plate if I have PERMANENT disability. If I can't park in a HC space unless I display either a HC card or have HC plates, Then that leave us with motorcycles and temporary disibilities out. That is the very definition of discrimination. The ticket also states that it was NOT a MC parking space. So that means that even if I had HC plates or could hang my HC card on my bike, they still wouldn't let me park there. Again, that would also be an example of discrimination. HC cards being invalid on a mc is yet another example of discrimination.

I really don't think anybody had the intention of discriminating between a perminate and temporary disability (other than time) when they came up with these laws. But the way I and the guy behind the counter at the DMV interperet this way, the yahooz interperet in a way that discriminates against all of us mc riders and mc riders with a temporary disability.

I Think Muffinman Has An Excellent Idea, If You Could Post The E-mail Address Of The School President We Could Send Endless E-mails To The School And As A Result It Would Be Easier For Him(or Her) To Intervene On Your Behalf Than Answer Or Delete All Of The E-mails. Just A Thought.

I emailed them. If you want I'm sure we could also email your congressmen, heck even your senator. Keep us informed on how this goes.

Oh I forgot to mention I kinda put down as my signature that I was a proud member of this group. Who knows they may come by to check us out.

Margaret

I got a reply from Mr. Bonk. This is the reply I got:

I am working on this issue, and will make some arrangement with Mr.

Yeske. We CVTC do not make determinations on whether someone is

handicapped or not. The person's physician and the Wisconsin Department

or Transportation make that determination. My office did speak with the

DOT and they stated that Mr. Yeske's use of Disability Identification

card is not valid for motorcycles and mopeds.

Having said this I will be willing to work with the individual to

arrange parking for him.

Hope it works out

Margaret

I got a reply from Mr. Bonk. This is the reply I got:

My office did speak with the

DOT and they stated that Mr. Yeske's use of Disability Identification

card is not valid for motorcycles and mopeds.

Writing .....IN Writing ! Speaking is BS in most cases when they want to sway it into their direction . Request them to send to you documentation that states that MC or Moped are exempt from using placards . It's their job to educate the public of the laws upon request . I asked our state DMC here where is states that is is or is not permitable . It only states Licensed Motor Vehicle . Does not specify whether 2 wheels , 3 wheels , 18 wheeler or a cage ! Therefore it is legal . Last word they said it was up to the digression of the ticketing officer , but off the record said I would beat it in court because of the language the law was written .

Ok now , no HC parking near the building . So park at the end and demand a HC shuttle bus ! Now see which is cheaper , a tin sign or $3.50 + a gallon for the bus ! :rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot:

BEER30

I got it taken care of this morning. I ended up talking with Doug Olson, who is the Director of Workforce Development & Recruitment, instead of the President of the CVTC. I didn't even have to get ugly. He himself is a rider. He said he had a couple bikes and several others in his family, including his wife I believe, have bikes. He was very polite and understood what was going on. After he voided the tickets and made a note of my plate number and stuff so he could tell the parking enforcement to leave me alone, I told him about contacting my congressman, the local media, and about the posts here. I told him thank you and that I would call off the hounds. By the way, I did get a call from my congressman's office this afternoon, and they said that they would take care of the problem. I told them the problem had been resolved this morning and thanked them for calling. I also got an email back from the DOT & DMV Special Plates Unit. They let me know that there is in fact a temp disability plate I could get. I wonder why the people at the local DMV told me that there was only a plate for permanent disabilities??? What else would one expect from a government outfit?

Thanx for everyones input. Hopefully this won't be an issue later.

Glad you got it straight , but I think I would still push the issue with your Congressman . When will next time come ? There needs to be a solution put in place for future occurrences . To resolve the confusion and headaches .

The Wisconsin politicians must use that corn you all grow more for other things that ethanol , Or are they that big of a Cheese Head ? :rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot:

BEER30