IGNORED

Strong Coolant Smell

malenurse13

The temp has been 102 the last couple days. I've got a 45 min commute to work (mostly interstate). The last 2 days, when I pull up in the parking lot, I can smell antifreeze. These are the times when I wish I could see the engine temp like I could on my last 5 motorcycles. The bike is not leaking any coolant that I can see. It's not smoking. I don't feel any change in performance. Is there any way I can find out if the motor is running too hot? What would y'all do if you smelled antifreeze after a long, hot ride??

The temp has been 102 the last couple days. I've got a 45 min commute to work (mostly interstate). The last 2 days, when I pull up in the parking lot, I can smell antifreeze. These are the times when I wish I could see the engine temp like I could on my last 5 motorcycles. The bike is not leaking any coolant that I can see. It's not smoking. I don't feel any change in performance. Is there any way I can find out if the motor is running too hot? What would y'all do if you smelled antifreeze after a long, hot ride??

I would look very closely for the leak. It it ain't leakin you ain't smellin!!

Unless of course it is entering one of your combustion chambers, being partially burnt, ejected, then entering your nostrils.

You could get some colored dye and a purple light at autozone. Little dye in the antifreeze, and the purple (black) light, dark garage, you'll see the problem. Can be a simple rock hit the radiator, super small pin hole, not enough to leak all the way to the ground.

I Would check behind the fins first to see if they are leaking. It doesn't take much of a leak on hot metal to smell it. You may have a drain plug leaking. As for a temp gauge, I have one on mine and it reads about 210* before the fan kicks on.

I think that this is the most likely culprit. Very common and very easy fix.

What would y'all do if you smelled antifreeze after a long, hot ride??

Check to make sure that you have coolant in the coolant bottle.

Like everybody else said... If you smell it, you have a leak. The bike may not be running hot yet as it still has coolant to swill. However, once it has leaked that coolant... then it will run hot.

Check the front end area first (open to rocks) and work your way back.

Put the bike on dry flat floor and pressurize the cooling system you may have to let it sit for awhile maybe even overnight if it is a small enough leak. Don't exceed the pressure caps pressure relief value, usually 15 to 18 PSI. I use regulated air so I don't have to keep pumping it up but a manual tester works just fine. You can even even rig one up with an old rad cap and bicycle pump or a reversible mighty vac. Just as I said don't over pressurize. Even if nothing shows up. try retesting with the engine hot. Some leaks only show up cold and some only show up when hot. Dye as earlier mentioned is also a good way as the dye will leave a stain even after the coolant leak has dried up.