IGNORED

Ever tried to replace a car from your past?

Freebird

So Don was the 73 Chevelle available with the swivel bucket seats? In my opinion the swivel bucket seat was one of the best ideas from GM. My brother had a 1974 Monte Caro S-Coupe with factory 454, swivel buckets seats and a console. Met an untimely demise in an accident with a Chevrolet caprice classic of the same vintage. Bent the frame.

Not only have I looked for a car from my past, I looked for THE car from my past. Drove the same make and model of car for the first 10 years of my driving career. First Had a 71 Pontiac Ventura II, inline 6, 3 on the tree later converted to a Hurst Indy universal floor shifter (came with a box full of plates and linkage). 2-55 AC (2 vent windows open at 55), NO PS, one belt for the alternator. replaced it with a 72 Pontiac Ventura II, 307 2bbl, turbohydramatic 350, PS, AC, the lap of luxury. Actually posted a photo of the car and description of some identifying features here:http://pontiacventura.com/1972_pontiac_ventura_7.htm Site no longer being updated since 2010. Mine is the blue and white one with the roof racks, left hand side, 3rd one up from the bottom. Actually got an email from a guy about two years ago who said he thinks he had my car. He sent me the VIN, but its a bit of work to get Florida to dig up if that VIN was registered to you 27 years ago. He was in Tampa but seem inclined to let me come check it out in person. It had been left outside and was in need of total restoration, not in the same condition was in in 1992 when I sold it. With no garage space, I did not pursue it further.

You may also keep an eye out on a site called bringatrailer.com They get some unique and interesting vehicles there.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Don was the 73 Chevelle available with the swivel bucket seats? In my opinion the swivel bucket seat was one of the best ideas from GM. My brother had a 1974 Monte Caro S-Coupe with factory 454, swivel buckets seats and a console. Met an untimely demise in an accident with a Chevrolet caprice classic of the same vintage. Bent the frame.

Not only have I looked for a car from my past, I looked for THE car from my past. Drove the same make and model of car for the first 10 years of my driving career. First Had a 71 Pontiac Ventura II, inline 6, 3 on the tree later converted to a Hurst Indy universal floor shifter (came with a box full of plates and linkage). 2-55 AC (2 vent windows open at 55), NO PS, one belt for the alternator. replaced it with a 72 Pontiac Ventura II, 307 2bbl, turbohydramatic 350, PS, AC, the lap of luxury. Actually posted a photo of the car and description of some identifying features here:http://pontiacventura.com/1972_pontiac_ventura_7.htm Site no longer being updated since 2010. Mine is the blue and white one with the roof racks, left hand side, 3rd one up from the bottom. Actually got an email from a guy about two years ago who said he thinks he had my car. He sent me the VIN, but its a bit of work to get Florida to dig up if that VIN was registered to you 27 years ago. He was in Tampa but seem inclined to let me come check it out in person. It had been left outside and was in need of total restoration, not in the same condition was in in 1992 when I sold it. With no garage space, I did not pursue it further.

You may also keep an eye out on a site called bringatrailer.com They get some unique and interesting vehicles there.

The swivel driver seat was not a GM original idea, Mopar had them in the fifties on Chrysler and Desoto.

:farmer:

Here's another spin on this old car theme... I've had quite a few cars over the years and I liked them all 'cause I never would have bought them if I didn't... OK, some more than others.. So... every so often I get nostalgic and wonder where they all are now?? Restored??, a rolling total??, a Coors beer can??, sitting in some garage somewhere?? Anyone else think like that???

Here's another spin on this old car theme... I've had quite a few cars over the years and I liked them all 'cause I never would have bought them if I didn't... OK, some more than others.. So... every so often I get nostalgic and wonder where they all are now?? Restored??, a rolling total??, a Coors beer can??, sitting in some garage somewhere?? Anyone else think like that???

Indeed, I HAVE wondered where my previous cars are. Especially, my first car; a 1966 Ford Fairlane with 390, 3 on the tree, bench seats. I "rodded" it with a "built" 390 (12:1 compression, 300° furation/.500 lift Crane cam, Hooker headers, Holley 780cfm three barrel carb and a Borg-Warner Super T-10 four speed. Installed bucket seats from a Charger and the rear seat from a Dart, new carpeting and dyed all the old tan/beige interior black. Goodyear L60-15 on the rear, Goodyear Polyglas F70 on the front, mounted on American Racing aluminum "mags". Traction bars. Rear air shocks, front Monroe HD adjustable shocks. The pictured Fairlane is not of mine, but very similar. (I didn't own a camera back in those days).

113_0309_03z+1966_ford_fairlane+rear_side_view.jpg

I owned a 1971 Mustang Mach1 for several years until I sold it to a local guy. He showed up one night at the tavern I was bartending at with the Mach1; about 12 years after I sold it to him. He let me take it out for a spin. He had repainted it from the dark metallic green to white (to make it look like the 1971 Boss 351). His car (my car) even made it to a Mustang magazine!

P4074013.jpgIMG_0001 (Large).jpg

Don, the picture you posted reminds me of the 74 Chevy Laguna I had, White on white. Was I great car till I ran it through a drainage ditch and launched it like the Duke boy did with many General Lee cars.

The one I'd like to have back though is the 59 Triumph TR3A I had during my last year of high school. It was a fun little car.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My brother in Law Robbie still has Laguna I believe, that is one cool car seats swivel, so when you launched it thru the drainage ditch did you spin like on a tilt a whirl? Ha just kidding but I love that car too pretty damned cool I believe its white on white with red stripes. 3000 watts of stereo at least it used to anyways.

Sounds like the twin to my Laguna. Landed it on the rear bumper and buckled both rear quarters then the front slammed down ànd buckled both front fenders. No tilt a whirl though.

My brother in Law Robbie still has Laguna I believe, that is one cool car seats swivel, so when you launched it thru the drainage ditch did you spin like on a tilt a whirl? Ha just kidding but I love that car too pretty damned cool I believe its white on white with red stripes. 3000 watts of stereo at least it used to anyways.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk